cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling to Maine

RVgirl2015
Explorer
Explorer
What area in Maine is the best place for lobster, shopping, and relaxing at the ocean? Not necessarily in that order. LOL!
26 REPLIES 26

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We found one of best and least expensive ways to enjoy lobster just about anywhere in Maine, was to get the lobsters at one of the major grocery stores (Hannaford or Shaws for instance) and they will cook it for you while you get your other groceries. Take it back to the RV and add your own fixins. Most restaurants will serve you the 1.25 pound size. My wife usually liked to order the 2 pound ones at the store and we still spent less than half of what the restaurants charged for 1.25 pound ones. Now occasionally you want the experience of eating at a restaurant but if you are into lobsters, like my wife, we found the grocery stores allowed her to eat them as often as she wanted without destroying the budget. :B
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
While Maine has a tremendous coast that I have yet to fully explore, I was able to spend a week at Bar Harbor Oceanfront KOA on MT Desert island. First they have a lobster guy cooking lobstah dinners right in the CG. Second before you get to the CG when approaching the causeway over to the CG is Trents Lobster Pound. So before you set up, you need to fill your selves with a 2 pounder steamed in seas water over a wood fire.......Once in KOA you need not dirve anywhere if you dont want to. They have a FREE shuttle that loops through all the CG's and hotels and brings you into town. We did drive over Acadia NP and road our bikes up to the lodge for another fine meal.

You wont go wrong with this as a starter, finisher or just plain old stay there and have fun.

PS there are also multiple Lobster pounds on the island so your certain to have scales when you leave.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
We aren't fans of the Bar Harbor area. We enjoy Boothbay Harbor area. From this area you can get to the Kittery area in a day and go to Bar Harbor in a day and all in between. As far as lobster, no matter where you are in Maine, you will find great places for that. Some are better than others but all are very good.

As far as shopping, depends on what you mean. Boothbay area has the usual trinket stores, upscale womens clothing in Boothbay Harbor and alot of pottery shops in Boothbay. If you are talking about the usual mall type of shops, Portland is about an hour away. Freeport iis about 30 mintues away, with alot of shops. Hope this helps.
LUVRVN

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Bar harbor is a long ways up in Maine the southern part of Maine is very nice

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to Belfast at the end of June this year. I have reservations at the Moorings RV Resort right on the ocean. There are plenty of places to explore that are more touristy (Camden, Bar Harbor), but we like the small town feel of Belfast.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

Biker1mike
Explorer
Explorer
We do Southern Maine. We stay in the Sanford area which is about 30 minutes from Ocean. Close to Kitterey Outlets for school clothes and everything you can think of. An hour ?? from L. L. Bean. Your choice of sandy beaches range from crowded to almost empty. More than enough sea food places to pick from.
Mike
'12 Honda Ridgeline pulling '07 Rockwood pop-up

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at The Narrows Too RV Park in Trenton ME. Free shuttle into Acadia Park, lobster nearby. Some sites on the water. $$. We got a pull thru site not on the water for reasonable price and still had a peek view of water.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Bar Harbor/Acadia for sure.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
A little more info on your RV would help with answers. There's a new area in Acadia that hasn't been discovered yet. If you can dry camp, there are more options.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoyed Bar Harbor and the surrounding area. Stayed at the Pumpkin Patch in Hermon, right outside of Bangor. Easy day tripping.

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Bar Harbor Maine 2 years ago and had 2 full lobsters, 2 ears of corn and a pound of mussels delivered to the campsite for $34.95
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
RVgirl2015 wrote:
What area in Maine is the best place for lobster, shopping, and relaxing at the ocean? Not necessarily in that order. LOL!

When are you planning to go? I ask because the reservation window have already opened at most places for this summer.