Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

UGLY!!!

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
...new RVs, that is.

I went to the Nashville RV show today. Not with any serious intent to buy, but scoping out the different types/sizes.

I have never in my life seen such a collection of ugly mud-brown cabinetry, dirt-gray floors, and black trim. If I had 10X the money, I wouldn't buy a single one of the new RVs I saw on that floor.

To add insult to injury, most mfrs have used very cool blue-ish toned LED lights, and not nearly enough of them. A very bad combo with the colors inside.

The first one I walked in was a Roadtrek, in which the entire sleeping area was BLACK. It was a dungeon, especially given the poor lighting that was only half turned on.

Don't manufacturers realize that lighter colors would open up the small spaces they are working with?

Many other people were commenting on the dark colors, too.

And don't even get me started on the flashing rope LEDs that also changed color, on the outside of a big 5th wheel. This was the one with a 36" TV outside. I sincerely hope to NEVER be parked near that one.

The cutest thing there was the Little Guy MyPod. Add a screen room, enough space in the vehicle for food & supplies. and a couple could be really comfy.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
77 REPLIES 77

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
So I got ask , are these indoor shows?
but ya I also hate the dark trend ,much prefer the light wood and light laminates ,reminds me of yachts.
teak and holly hummm.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our new camper is definitely dark. There wasn't much choice AND find the floor plan we wanted. We drew the line at black. Some of the units had all the ceiling mounted fixtures and trim in BLACK. There's a lot of stuff on those ceilings if you really look. Talk about feeling closed in.

But large windows help. So do decor & rugs with some bright colors. We added a small lamp or two, some greenery, keep the surfaces clutter-free, and it doesn't look so bad after all. Kinda cozy even.

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
While we're on the subject of design - why can't some one put more than one door in a Class A? I can't imagine having one door on one side of the rig. A mid-living area door and a driver's door would be a start. My little class B has 4 doors to access the interior: driver's passenger's living area side door and double opening rear door...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
I was in the home office of a major manufacturer, (No Name), and just looked around at the various employees and management. I did not see one person that I thought had ever spent a night in an RV. Now I could be dead wrong, but that was my observation. I can attest they knew little or nothing about the construction of the RV.

Why would you expect them to have stayed a night in an RV or know how they are constructed?

Over an above the chief designers/engineers/assembly line individuals.... (which are likely "officed" in a production facility as opposed to a "home office")...

All companies (regardless of core product) are comprised of shared services individuals which have nothing to do with core business development - IT, HR, Administrative, IT, Finance...
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that is nice pleasing subtle meld of colors that if the picture isn't being flooded with bright lights would be very acceptable.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

Anyone like this one?

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the home office of a major manufacturer, (No Name), and just looked around at the various employees and management. I did not see one person that I thought had ever spent a night in an RV. Now I could be dead wrong, but that was my observation. I can attest they knew little or nothing about the construction of the RV.

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
The space issues, though -- who designs this nonsense? People who don't actually RV? Who don't cook? Who don't need to store clothing, food, dishes, cookware, etc.?

Sheesh.
I say that to myself every time I look at a new floorplan. These things must be designed by people who never actually use them.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
minnow wrote:
TheAmRheins wrote:
coolmom et al - I have been saying this same thing for years... our 2009 Landmark has cherry wood finish which is plenty dark enough.

We will not be buying until the interiors are light - I want my RV to look like a beach house! Whitewashed wood, blues/aquas with pops of red or orange. Light grey or tan barnwood looking flooring. White walls. NO BORDERS! No mirrors on the ceiling! No flashing lights anywhere! LOL

Maybe we should copy this thread and email it to every manufacturer...

If you are waiting for that color scheme, you won't be buying anytime soon. In over 25 years, I've never seen any interior with blue or pastels. It's either dark to light woods with tans or dark fabrics with maybe a splash of color. About 10 years ago, a few had bright white cabinets with a white wash type floor finish. That only lasted a couple of years.

Lots of 1995-2005 RVs have blue carpet, front walls (in motorhomes) and assorted blue/green/tan floral fabrics & borders. I don't like that much either. If I bought one of those, which I might, I will rip out the carpet and put in medium gray patterned flooring, paint the walls a very light gray and the cabinets white. Add dark green fabrics and splashes of bright colors with pillows & small trim items.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
TheAmRheins wrote:
coolmom et al - I have been saying this same thing for years... our 2009 Landmark has cherry wood finish which is plenty dark enough.

We will not be buying until the interiors are light - I want my RV to look like a beach house! Whitewashed wood, blues/aquas with pops of red or orange. Light grey or tan barnwood looking flooring. White walls. NO BORDERS! No mirrors on the ceiling! No flashing lights anywhere! LOL

If you are waiting for that color scheme, you won't be buying anytime soon. In over 25 years, I've never seen any interior with blue or pastels. It's either dark to light woods with tans or dark fabrics with maybe a splash of color. About 10 years ago, a few had bright white cabinets with a white wash type floor finish. That only lasted a couple of years.

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think sending this thread to every manufacturer is a great idea. Moving from a 2004 Class A with a lovely light-filled interior to a travel trailer with a dark interior is rather depressing. I've alleviated some of that with bright fabrics.

The space issues, though -- who designs this nonsense? People who don't actually RV? Who don't cook? Who don't need to store clothing, food, dishes, cookware, etc.?

Sheesh.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

TheAmRheins
Explorer
Explorer

Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

OldRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
Ok, I'm 55 and at our recent RV & Camping Show the majority of units had the dark interiors. Each one was like walking into a cave. Now granted, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but even when they were better, I liked a nice, bright and airy interior. These things were terrible. I agree with the "trying to hide something" mentality.

When we special ordered our motorhome, we chose to pay the extra for the solid wood cabinetry upgrade and ordered the lighter maple cabinets over the golden oak. Woodwork tends to darken with age anyway and we expected to have our rig for 20+ years (we're in year 12 this year). I'd take our interior over ANY I saw at the show.

But I am in the over-50 crowd, so maybe it is a generational thing.

I just find it interesting that in over 5 pages of posts, there have been very few supporting the dark interiors. I wonder if they're going to be "in demand" in a few years when they start hitting the used market?

~Rick

I think thats because the majority of the people on THIS board do the "camping" thing at campgrounds and campsites. The number of younger folks the RV industry is appealing to right now (and this is just my opinion as far as what your seeing on the inside of RV's these days), but there is a boat load of RV's being sold to the much younger crowd that dont do regular camping. They do race tracks, and i'm referring to club level motorcycle roadracing (my background), dirtbike racing/riding (thats who i sold my Jayco 5th wheel to several years ago), club level car road racing, camping at dirtbike parks that are popping up all over the place, ect. There are a LOT more places these young folks go that many of you (and me) old timers are simply not aware of. Trust me, the RV industry is selling the hell out of these things to that demographic, ESPECIALLY the fancy toyhaulers.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, I'm 55 and at our recent RV & Camping Show the majority of units had the dark interiors. Each one was like walking into a cave. Now granted, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but even when they were better, I liked a nice, bright and airy interior. These things were terrible. I agree with the "trying to hide something" mentality.

When we special ordered our motorhome, we chose to pay the extra for the solid wood cabinetry upgrade and ordered the lighter maple cabinets over the golden oak. Woodwork tends to darken with age anyway and we expected to have our rig for 20+ years (we're in year 12 this year). I'd take our interior over ANY I saw at the show.

But I am in the over-50 crowd, so maybe it is a generational thing.

I just find it interesting that in over 5 pages of posts, there have been very few supporting the dark interiors. I wonder if they're going to be "in demand" in a few years when they start hitting the used market?

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if what happened was the RV manufacturers got some feedback but they misinterpreted it.

Until recently, they were making a lot of RVs with white or almost-white couches. For camping, that is crazy, IMO.

But that doesn't mean we want EVERYTHING dark!

Speaking as a 'young' rv'er, what I want is dark furniture and floors, light, washable, walls and cabinets.

And I prefer real colors over neutrals, I hate woodgrain, and I hate grey or black, especially with red accents.

I like the vintage/diner style a lot, but it makes me a bit sad that people have to copy something old because they can't make something new that is pleasing to look at.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.