cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

(update bought Hankook tires)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I purchased a utility trailer 6x8 to haul my two scooters (1000 pounds). It came with the cheapest Carlisle 13" bias ply tires they make. This trailer will be pulled at 75 mph for up to 14 hours at a time. Thinking of upgrading to the Carlisle HD 13" radials. Did not see Goodyear Endurance tires in this size. Sound thinking or waste of money?

Update purchased Hankook tires for the trailer. They are within weight limits and have a 118mph rating.
14 REPLIES 14

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Smaller wheels spin the bearings faster and those small 13 in tires seem to be the ones on small trailers seen along side the road.
I'll add m y2 cents to those who encouraged you to see if larger wheels and tougher tires will fit under the fenders. Also not the sell larger sizes of fenders at Tractor Supply and other places. As to changing trailer bed height, if you get larger wheels and tires measure and see if it is acceptable. Shouldn't change it much.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
just me, I,d never buy a carlisle tire for anything but a lawn mower. there junk period. p,s are the way to go ,

You hear a lot of this kind of "reasoning" along with the "china bombs" attacks. Just because a tire was poor many years ago it doesn't always follow that they will always be poor. I had a new hybrid trailer and lost a Carlisle tire to a blowout. I fought the company and they agreed to cover my cost of replacing 5 tires. I had to sign an agreement where I wouldn't trash the company. I have since changed trailers and had trouble with my Goodyear Marathons that were made in America. I replaced them with a set of Maxxis, that are not made in America, and they were great tires. Replacement time came and my dealer talked me into the new Carlisles. Told me that they were a new design and that the performance record was very good and that they stood behind them. I am on my third year and they are the best I have ever had. They have a speed rating of 80, run smoothly, haven't overheated and maintain air pressure. So, stay informed, continue to research and make the best decision for your situation. Closing the door on a product might not always be the best way to go. Things change.

The Marathons were problematic but mine were made in the US. That alone does not make a tire better. Maxxis are not made in the US and they continue to have great reviews. It is not the country where they are made, it is the attitude of the company who makes them. Usually, I will concede, moving to China is a cost cutting thing. If the company only wants to make money it will end there. Quality control can be maintained overseas as easily as it is done here. Keep an open mind and research.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Just bought a set of (cheap, like just over $100/tire for 275-40-20s) Hankooks for the wife's Charger. Only put the fronts on, still using the other 2 original tires for summer driving and burnouts!
So far they are super smooth, no louder than the PZeros and do great in the rain. They will not have the dry traction of the old tires, but they appear to be a good value thus far.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Carlisle has some USA mfg tires that hold up OK. There was a phase 10 or 15 years ago they were blowing all the time. Discount tire replaced 12 of them for me one year.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
When the first 13" Carlisle on my brand new boat trailer within less than a year, I had to buy what the tire store at the highway exit had.

Nanco

Inexpensive bias ply. I bought a second (and ultimately a third). They looked like brand new 10 years later.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
4 1/2 years on the set of RH's on my 5th wheel and no issues yet. HD's on my boat trailer but they are pretty new.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
The first Carlisle tires I had were on a boat trailer 20 years ago. It was stored inside and in about 2 years the rubber separated while in storage. Fast forward another 10 years when Carlisle came out with their new tires, (RH then HD), I had to get another set of tires for my car hauler and the only ones that were available at the time were the new Carlisle RH. The dealer swore that Carlisle had made major changes and he would personally guarantee the tires. I ran those tires for 6 years and didn't had any issues then installed a set of the HD's and they are still on the trailer with no issues. All of my local friends have also switched and none of use have experienced the separation issuers we were all having with the other brands of trailer tires.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
just me, I,d never buy a carlisle tire for anything but a lawn mower. there junk period. p,s are the way to go ,
Have to admit I didn't care for their past tires as well. I personally knew a person who's brand new Carlisle had a blowout on the spare tire rack on the back of his 5th wheel. That's why I'm looking at changing these new cheap bias ply tires out.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
On small lighter weight single axle and tandem axle trailers I've always ran P tires. I just sold a 5' X 10' tilt trailer with 13" P tires. That way no worries with speed ratings.
Many light weight utility type trailers (single axle and tandem axle) come OEM with P tires.

P tires load capacity is to be derated by dividing its capacity by 1.1.... so get a size with plenty of capacity.

I don't think other Carlisle tires carry the new speed ratings as the HD line...check it out.
Never thought about using car tires. The trailer and scooters will be under 2k so weight shouldn't be a issue. The softer car tires would also be easier on the scooters as well over rough roads.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarabooBob wrote:
Will larger tires fit under the fenders? I switched my utility trailer from 13" to 14" tires to get higher rated tires. My 14" are rated at 1900 pounds at 60 psi.
I'm already so far under the load rating that is not a issue. I want the lowest load height I can get.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
On small lighter weight single axle and tandem axle trailers I've always ran P tires. I just sold a 5' X 10' tilt trailer with 13" P tires. That way no worries with speed ratings.
Many light weight utility type trailers (single axle and tandem axle) come OEM with P tires.

P tires load capacity is to be derated by dividing its capacity by 1.1.... so get a size with plenty of capacity.

I don't think other Carlisle tires carry the new speed ratings as the HD line...check it out.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Will larger tires fit under the fenders? I switched my utility trailer from 13" to 14" tires to get higher rated tires. My 14" are rated at 1900 pounds at 60 psi.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
my advice and i take my own advice is to never skimp on tires.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle