cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

USA Urban Stays Versus Canada

jefferyofsky
Explorer
Explorer
As a Canadian in a law where we have no hand guns and things of this nature, I tend to see the reports of gun violence in the USA, which I am sure are like anything abnormal.

I have been living in my camper full time for about a year, and travelling and sleeping in my vehicle in communities, even urban camping in tents as I travel behind bushes and things like this, but not gone stateside from Canada.

I tend to just do the Walmart thing or roadside turn outs, sometimes on the street etc., I find that here if a person goes too far out in a national part for example you tend to attract forestry services, and it is just my goal to get a good nights sleep, and continue my path, I am not really a boon docker with long stays in one place.

So here is the story, I have somehow developed a small fear of the USA, and travelling. To make it worse I have been travelling the past 2 months with my partner, from USA, who did not do this lifestyle in the USA and her herself has no idea what to expect.

I see so many people who travel for years and have no issues, and it seems that these reports are over blown, and considering the 300 million people, are well in check with even the things here. I mean actually we have had a number of issues here, where a couple had a person kill them and burn their RV while in a remote camp ground in British Columbia.

So I am sure this is over blown, but to tell yourself this is on thing, but to really live it and to know it is another.

So I am curious about how many people here travelling the USA really have had a problem with this, and what are you strategies to keep yourself safe. It it just your attitude, do you worry about it, do you find that in reality that most people are just hard working and honest that we will meet in the USA?

Also what do you tell the border services. It seems that they think I want to go work in the USA or something, and that sure is not the case, what do you give to them if you are a Canadian to bypass or to minimize the chances of being rejected and them thinking you are working. I know of Canadians who boon dock in Nevada etc for month, so I know this should not be hard to get in to travel around, I am cusious what people say and do you find any certain areas that raises concern for US border security?

Thanks any help or assurances appreciated in advance.
25 REPLIES 25

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
So glad you returned and gave us an update! Come back for a longer time!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jefferyofsky
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Glad you enjoyed your trip! I can't imagine what climate change in Virginia would cause that because many of the states switch weather very quickly. So sorry you had to "sample" our health care system but very happy all turned out well.

The attending RN and the Doctor, said they have a HIGH INCIDENCE of blood pressure related issues and nose bleeds that will not stop, and they do not know why, but that area, RICHMOND in particular, is apparently in some kind of bowl of weather, their term. I had came from a winter climate, directly to the area, and stresses and diet, and this effect, seemed to cause it. I lived for 8 years at over 3500 feet elevation, until 2 months prior to this visit, at 60 feet elevation, so this probably was a perfect storm for this, and they said it is quite commen there.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you enjoyed your trip! I can't imagine what climate change in Virginia would cause that because many of the states switch weather very quickly. So sorry you had to "sample" our health care system but very happy all turned out well.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jefferyofsky
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, wanted to update my travels from the thread here I started.

I entered the USA March 4th, 2016, and went in through Buffalo. Stayed all down through Pennsylvania, Virginia, New York State, Washington, Norfolk, Suffolk, North Carolina, Tennessee, Oklohoma, Arizona, California, Texas, Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming.

Basically I had a great time, no problems at all. I was in Sand Diego, Oceanside, Los Angeles, and the only time I felt a little insecure was arriving in Clinton, Arkansas, the wrong side of town.

I used a website that tracks urban sites, and mostly stayed at Cracker Barrels. However next time I hope to do the Land Management Bureau, since I got a federal pass.

And ironically, not only did no troopers pull me over, in about the 6,500 miles I drove, but really I found people really well behaved and felt more comfortable than Canada in many cities.

The only real time I even saw a gun, was when I decided to visit a pawn shop, and get a metal detector there, and a guy pawning his chainsaw had one strapped on, and he seemed like more a prepper than anything, but he did not seem to be having a good day.

So vastly my fears were out of place, and I can hardly wait to go back.

I originally wanted to go for 3 months, but I took a episode with my blood pressure, and had a nose bleed in a restaurant, gushing, as in a nightmare movie gushing and ems had to come, I was spiked at 258, over 193, so god knows what I was origianlly. Apparently this can happen in Virginia due to climate change if you are prone to this and not medicated,

However the EMS was quick, and the hospital was great, and kept me in intensive care, and I am sure it cost alot, but wow, if you have insurance your hospital system beats us in Canada hands down.

Basically inside of 90 minutes they had these things blocking the burst vessels, xrays, and cat scan, they sure do not mess around there. So that cut my trip short until I get the BP thing worked out and a new insurance company.

So had a great tour, and thanks for all of your encouragement. I in fact feel pretty empowered after surviving the traffic in LA, down to San Diego, with my old truck and camper at 70 miles an hour, and 10 lanes of traffic.

The only challenge I had was the toll roads, and got caught in one off the I5 I think it was down to Oceanside California, and a complicated billing system.

Take care everyone in your travels this summer.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
You are absolutely right my friend. But its because of that carry over that you are filing the for,. If you don't exceed those 120 days technically you don't have to file the form. Having said that my accountant gets cranky if I don't file it every year regardless of our time. ๐Ÿ™‚ Many who snowbird in Mexico or own houses there file anyway although technically they many only be in the US for a week or two as they pass through. The thing is, it is an unknown for the system when you leave the US through the southern border. We have friends who bought a place in the Yucatan who live there about 8 month of the year. They make sure there is a paper trail. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi John,

I like being wrong--and this is one of those times I'd love to be wrong.

I thought there was a carry forward of 60 days and another for 30 days

i.e.

2013 180 days but sixty get counted against 2014 and thirty get counted against 2015 and are subtracted from the 180?

John & Angela wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

If you stay longer than 31 days in USA you must fill out a 'closer connections to Canada' form from the US internal revenue service. The form has to be sent in in June of each year.

If you plan on visiting each year the maximum number of days works out to about 120 per calendar year.

Good afternoon Pianotuna. You are knowledgeable guy but you are wrong on this one. As long as you fill out the Form 8840 closer connection to form, you are good for 182 days in the USA before the IRS guys get upset. Your implied B1 Visa however runs out at 180 days. After that you need to drive into Mexico or return to Canada for 180 days. Make sure you are comfortable with the medical insurance implications of being out of your province for long periods, or arrange with your province for an extended stay out of the country.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
jefferyofsky wrote:

Also what do you tell the border services. It seems that they think I want to go work in the USA or something, and that sure is not the case, what do you give to them if you are a Canadian to bypass or to minimize the chances of being rejected and them thinking you are working.

I have the same problems with border services, about working in the USA, upon entering whether driving and staying for a few weeks or flying and staying a week or two. They keep on asking for proof of where staying such as hotel name and address. If I'm missing a proof of where I will be staying (ex. no reservation a day or two due to travelling) they make a fuss over it, I don't think I will drive for 24hrs. straight, I'll drive until I'm tired find a hotel and continue to my destination the next day.
Anyway that's my beef with them.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know how valuble that spotcrime page is. Apparently my county sheriff does not submit crime reports. In my small town (1600) residents there was one domestic violence murder in 2015 and a major vandalism incident at the school. Neither are listed. I am sure that there were probabably several thefts in the county also that are not listed.
The town of 50,000 thirty miles to my south is well represented.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

If you stay longer than 31 days in USA you must fill out a 'closer connections to Canada' form from the US internal revenue service. The form has to be sent in in June of each year.

If you plan on visiting each year the maximum number of days works out to about 120 per calendar year.

Good afternoon Pianotuna. You are knowledgeable guy but you are wrong on this one. As long as you fill out the Form 8840 closer connection to form, you are good for 182 days in the USA before the IRS guys get upset. Your implied B1 Visa however runs out at 180 days. After that you need to drive into Mexico or return to Canada for 180 days. Make sure you are comfortable with the medical insurance implications of being out of your province for long periods, or arrange with your province for an extended stay out of the country.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry to have to point out that with the Canadian Dollar at 75 cents U.S. your money will not go anywhere near as far on this side of the border. It was great when we were in Quebec last summer and getting $1.26 CDN for our dollars. That, however, is something that can change at any time so just be aware of it.

You should check with your Provincial Insurance Department to see how long you can be continuously in the States without creating a gap in your health coverage. Also your vehicle insurance. It varies Province to Province.

Tell the agent at the border crossing (particularly on the U.S. side) that you are on holiday for a fixed time (less than three months?) and going to see the Grand Canyon or Texas or somewhere specific. No rule says you have to make it to that particular place, but you should have a destination when you enter.

It is a big, beautiful country. Enjoy it just as we enjoy our trips to Canada.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Walmarts are great and many have a security car that patrols the lot. Make sure you have a charged cell phone and you know the adress where your parked. Carry a good flash light. If your not wanting to carry a firearm consider bear spray, big cans like cabellas sells not the key chain kind. (Also legal in Canada where as regular mace is not). Shoots a long way but watch the wind. The old baseball bat by the door also a good idea.
Ask around at restaurants, chambers, etc. For good places to park.
We have been FT almost 2 years, never a problem, never felt un comfortable.
We are however very prepared??????????
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

jefferyofsky
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Yes there are 'bad' parts of town in EVERY town.

http://www.spotcrime.com/

Wow, that is a great tool, I had no idea it existed, and it is interesting to see how over the last month most of the burgularies for example are in one area, the theft in another area, and the assaults seems to be mostly in the bar district and the business district.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yes there are 'bad' parts of town in EVERY town.

When you RV you are not always aware of what part you are traveling thru.

I use this FIRST before deciding to stay anywhere for the night.

Not an end all be all, but it DOES inform you of what could be a not so good place to stop at and avoid. Info is taken from actual police reports which you also can view.

http://www.spotcrime.com/

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had any issue with crime and I feel very safe in all the places I have been. Also, more guns does not equate to more crime. I feel safer in a group of law abiding citizens with guns than the same group unarmed.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star