cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Virginia CCW Heads Up

WDP
Explorer
Explorer
Not starting a debate but a change in reciprocity agreements will effect some RVers.
Legal review conducted in 2015 pursuant to 18.2-308.014 of the Code of Virginia identified several jurisdictions that currently fail to meet the statutory requirements for recognition of the concealed carry permits they issue. As a result of that review, effective February 1, 2016, concealed carry permits issued by the following jurisdictions are NO LONGER VALID in Virginia:
Alaska,Arizona,Arkansas,Delaware,Florida,Idaho,Indiana,Kansas,Kentucky Louisiana,Minnesota,Mississippi,Montana,Nebraska,New Mexico,North Carolina,North Dakota,Ohio,Pennsylvania,South Carolina,South Dakota,Tennessee,Washington,Wisconsin,Wyoming.

Contact info to express your thoughts:Virginia Attorney General
and the Virginia Governor, VA Governor
Let them know how much this hurts tourism in Virginia.

WDP
38 REPLIES 38

TwinTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
When I became a full timer I went to apply for one and after talking to the instructor and being informed of all the different laws each state had about carrying and/or just having guns in the MH I opted for not doing it. How could one possibliy be up to date about the regulations for each and every state they traveled thru? Just saying. I didn't want to have to sit on the computer researching the next state I was about to enter to see if I would be legal on that day. The OP's post shows just that.

My driver's license is valid in every state, and my license to carry should be, too. Making criminals out of law abiding citizens is wrong.

Don't let a little research stop you from exercising your constitutional right ๐Ÿ™‚

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
When I became a full timer I went to apply for one and after talking to the instructor and being informed of all the different laws each state had about carrying and/or just having guns in the MH I opted for not doing it. How could one possibliy be up to date about the regulations for each and every state they traveled thru? Just saying. I didn't want to have to sit on the computer researching the next state I was about to enter to see if I would be legal on that day. The OP's post shows just that.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
This has been a good thread so far, good information for those that would be affected by the proposed changes. Whether or not you have any interest in owning or carrying firearms for protection it is a fact of life that many people do so legally and with the proper caution and restraint. Jim.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
It is interesting that law abiding citizens have to go through hops of red tape and a common criminal can purchase a midnight special in less time than it takes me to write this.

They have been carrying concealed weapons for a long time with out a permit, any idiot that you see with baggy pants falling off, due to the weapon pulling them down, and a loose T shirt and tattoo's all over done with lock up special ink color has one on him.

navegator

A CCW forum that I visit has a name for the businesses or states that don't allow citizens to legally carry. Those locations are called 'Criminal Protection Zones'.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing about this post is the response concerning the CCW app. I think that is a great tool for anyone deciding to carry.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually resident aliens can own a firearm. At one time, they had to prove a residence for 90 consecutive days, but that is no longer required.

So, they actually can own a firearm. They still have to pass a background check, but will likely not pass the instant check and will be delayed.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
WDP wrote:
MODERATOR: please lock, debate is not warranted.

WDP

X'2
Times fun when you're having flies!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jake2250 wrote:
frankdamp wrote:
One big advantage of being a US-resident alien (British) is that I'm not allowed to own any firearms (not that I would want to do so).

As it should BE!!

Why NOT...as a LEGAL Law Abiding Resident he should be able to.

The more folks that are allowed to legally own the better for ALL.

He is not a felon.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
Whiskey River wrote:
Well Virginia you are a day late & a dollar short as my plans have already changed from Virginia Beach to the Outer Banks because of your carry policy, or now your former policy. I know my 2k is not a drop in a large bucket but it will go to North Carolina.
Does anyone think those 25 states listed just randomly give out conceal carry permits to anyone. I think the actual background check for all states is pretty much the same. The difference is some states require a class on guns & some do not. Some states require you to take a test and fire the gun at a range & some do not. Some states require you to be fingerprinted, some do not. And on and on.
My hope is that all states require the same requirements and the permit is good anywhere.
In the article from "The Hill", posted by blangen, the Virginia governor stated, "dangerous people who would not pass a background check in Virginia could obtain fire arms in states with weaker gun laws & bring them into Virginia". This statement is more of a purchasing a gun than conceal carry, but any way, Note to governor: dangerous people do not abide by any gun laws of any state.....
LOL , that's what I have done, little change of plans this year. I'm not leaving my carry gun in the car,RV, or hotel room on vacation. Staying in SC this year. Traveled last year to NY, locked it in my car, dropped my wife off a few days to see her mother, and got the heck out of NY in a few days. I have to business being in that state.lol
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
One big advantage of being a US-resident alien (British) is that I'm not allowed to own any firearms (not that I would want to do so).

As it should BE!!

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whiskey River wrote:
Note to governor: dangerous people do not abide by any gun laws of any state.....

Its not just the governor, its everyone that thinks a couple extra gun regulations will do any bit of good. They seem to think that the kind of person who would MURDER someone would change their mind if they had to fill out a questionnaire. They seem to think that the ONLY way that CRIMINALS get guns is to legally purchase them after going through background checks. They seem to think that taking away guns from LAW ABIDING CITIZENS will someone LOWER gun crimes.

You can't talk common sense to some people... not just this governor.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
It is interesting that law abiding citizens have to go through hops of red tape and a common criminal can purchase a midnight special in less time than it takes me to write this.

They have been carrying concealed weapons for a long time with out a permit, any idiot that you see with baggy pants falling off, due to the weapon pulling them down, and a loose T shirt and tattoo's all over done with lock up special ink color has one on him.

navegator

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Thank you for posting that (O/P) as it is not a debatable issue, just facts.
I have heard Michigan may soon be joining that list of states that do not meet. But.. Well time will tell.. My interest is academic since I do not CCW.

Did you read where it didn't pass....was stopped......reversed....no changes?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
The story on this is Mike Bloomberg spent a lot of money to get anti-gun Governor and Attorney General elected and this was to be the pay back. The general assembly told the Governor they could and would pass a law legalizing open carry with a veto proof majority so the Governor backed off the proposal. All just politics and not pretty. Jim.