cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wash wax TT ?

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to hire my 14 year old nephew to wax our TT.

Have had good luck with Mequiars car wash and Lucas slick mist spray wax on my truck / car. Plan to use 303 on decals and rubber trim.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

TT is a 2019 GD 2500rl.
10 REPLIES 10

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Pretend it's a really tall car and do whatever you do to your car. Camper is not special.

Actually I think there are some very big differences: first would be size (pun intended), the amount of work required, equipment and tools required for cleaning and waxing and the materials used on the surface are also very different.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This is like an oil thread. There are many combinations that "work". Virtually any soap and wax is fine. Some work better, some last longer, some are less labor to apply, some are more.
Pretend it's a really tall car and do whatever you do to your car. Camper is not special.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to wax my rig with a paste wax last year then a buffer but the wax did not go on smoothly. Maybe the wax was old.
Next time I would use a liquid wax then buff it on.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used carnuba wax for a number of years. It hardly seemed to be worth the effort. These waxes only last a few weeks or a couple of months at best.

Then I switched to NuFinish. It is supposed to last a year. A few months is probably the maximum but it was hard to tell. After a few months there was little sign of wax still on the surface. Water did not bead much and I had black stains under gutters, windows and other places where water ran down the sides of the camper.

Approximately 5 years ago, I switched to ZEP, acrylic floor finish. I have not had to strip off or replace the original ZEP finish. I don't get black streaks. Except for dried on bugs, I can wash the RV with just a hose. Water still beads on the surface. Once a year, I wash the RV and then wipe on another thin coat of ZEP. It takes me an hour or so and most of the work and time is just spent moving the ladder. I suppose I could use a long handled sponge as an applicator, but a rag dampened in ZEP gives a nice, drip free coating.

Before using ZEP I read about the downsides. I was told the ZEP could yellow and flake off. Neither have happened in 5 years. I attribute that to adequate surface prep. I mopped the entire surface with ammonia solution two times to remove previous waxes. I was told ZEP does not contain any UV protectants and that would also lead to yellowing. Turns out regular waxes and NuFinish contain little or no UV protectants and they also fail to protect because the coatings do not last. Again after 5 years there is no sign of yellowing or oxidation. It seems that a good coating is all that is needed.

If I do need to start over, ZEP comes off easily with ammonia. ZEP is also very inexpensive. Initially I applied 4 or 5 thin coats. Since then I have added an annual coating for 4 more coats. I have used about 1/2 gallon of ZEP. I think the gallon jug cost me less than $20. ZEP is still available at my local Lowe's.

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I am a believer in Nu-Finish have been for years. However on my older camper that I have now it does not mix well with the graphics. I still use Nu-Finish but do not touch the graphics. I have found McKees Marine and RV vinyl and graphic restore finish. It has brought the graphics back to life.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used regular car wax on my entire TT. we bought the TT in 06 and when we traded it in last year the decals still looked like new. in fact the dealer commented on how it looked better than some 2 or 3 year old trailers!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
I used NuFinish on my last trailer and all of the decals fell off. I use Meguire's cleaner wax on the camper and 303 Aerospace on the decals. I am also keeping a cover on my existing camper to block UV. UV kills decals.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in ohio,think he,d come do mine ,I use nu finish also.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't want carnauba wax on the decals, use Nu-finish on everything. With a nearly new trailer it will work well, but on a weathered finish I would use something else.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does to me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad