cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water hose

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
I went to use my brand new Camco water hose...not the cheap white one, but the more expensive blue one. The fittings on each end leak. Am I doing something wrong or is this common? Don't know how I can screw it up, haha. I tried connecting it to various things and it still leaks. The one at the spigot isn't too bad if I use a wrench to tighten it, but the one on the RV side is pretty bad. Maybe too much pressure? I'm using a pressure regulator, but I think its 45 or 50 psi...maybe too high?

Unfortunately, I missed the window for being able to return it. That's what I get for buying everything I need way in advance...
40 REPLIES 40

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
My new white Camco hose was leaking on our last trip. I replaced the washers but it still leaked. I bought a roll of teflon tape and wrapped the end and the leaking stopped. Now I keep a roll of teflon tape in the RV. It is a cheap and easy fix.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my hose from the same place Jackson linked. It wasn't cheap but after buying several hoses over the years, this one should last a long time.

I went with a 50 ft. white hose with the solid brass fittings and and also purchased 1 packet of their rubber gaskets.

We volunteer at a local State park and spend 8-9 months out there our hose gets used. I haven't had a leak in the hose, and it can lay in the sun on the 100 degree days and don't worry about the hose blowing out.

Yes it isn't cheap, but after buying several hose's over the years it will pay for itself.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
"zach477".....When you go to the hardware store to buy the washer, pick up a brass water hose quick connect. It will be right next to the washers and spray nozzles. You permanently connect the male end of the brass quick connect to the RV connection (use a washer) and leave it there. Connect the female end to the male end of your hose (use a washer). Now, when you connect at a campground, you attach your hose to the water source and then quick connect the hose to the RV, no messing with screwing it on or leaks.

If your water connection on the RV comes out the side and your hose puts pressure on the connection (bending downward), add a 90 degree bend to the hose, before you put the quick connect on. This will make the hose hang straight down and not put pressure on the fitting. Walmart sells all of these parts in their RV section.

I myself never use the quick connects because when I roll up my water hose I just screw the 2 ends together and you cant do that if one end has a quick connector on it.

Also I guess i never understood the 90 degree elbow. I know that folks say it take the pressure off, but in my head I picture the elbow with the hose connected to it and there is just as much pressure from the hose pulling down on that elbow and it kind of is like a lever at that point with the same amount of pressure

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"zach477".....When you go to the hardware store to buy the washer, pick up a brass water hose quick connect. It will be right next to the washers and spray nozzles. You permanently connect the male end of the brass quick connect to the RV connection (use a washer) and leave it there. Connect the female end to the male end of your hose (use a washer). Now, when you connect at a campground, you attach your hose to the water source and then quick connect the hose to the RV, no messing with screwing it on or leaks.

If your water connection on the RV comes out the side and your hose puts pressure on the connection (bending downward), add a 90 degree bend to the hose, before you put the quick connect on. This will make the hose hang straight down and not put pressure on the fitting. Walmart sells all of these parts in their RV section.

Quick Connect

90 degree elbow
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
Most hoses come with inexpensive vinyl or plastic washers. I throw those out and use real rubber washers. Work much better.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
Well if they were stretched to the packaging, they're long gone. Oh well. I like going to the hardware store. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 3 foot Camco hose on Amazon, the female was not even crimped. I unrolled it and the end fell off. Had Amazon send a new one that seems ok. I have another 3 footer four a year and a half that works fine. There quality is truly hit in miss. The beauty of Amazon, a new one is sent to my door and the old one picked up and I don't pay for shipping.
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

rrbowman
Explorer
Explorer
zach477 wrote:
I'll check next time I get a chance to, but I am almost certain there were no rubber washers. Were they supposed to come with the hose?

You probably threw out the washers with the packaging, they are usually attached to the packaging with twistys.

Sluggo54
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a blue hose (Camco)at Walbert's a couple weeks ago. The washer was on one of the twisty ties with which it was bound. Sure doesn't hurt to keep a package of them close.
DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Kelpie, RIP 8/4/2016) DD = Zoey, Carolina Dog
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie SOLD
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW DEAL PENDING

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Make sure these are installed in each end...

That could be the problem they only go on one end.;)

Well, just because I'm bored..The OP did state, "The fittings on each end leak"

So, yes, there is only 1 on the hose, but probably the washer on the inlet side is also missing - so technically he does need to make sure that he has one on each end.

Sorry I could not resist! Yes when connected there should be a washer at each end!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
downtheroad wrote:

Well, just because I'm bored..The OP did state, "The fittings on each end leak"

So, yes, there is only 1 on the hose, but probably the washer on the inlet side is also missing - so technically he does need to make sure that he has one on each end.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've noticed a lot of hoses now come with aluminum connectors that some may think are stainless.
Brass is a lot better and Stainless is the best. imo
it doesn't corode like brassby some water sources or get vertigris.
Either one makes for a grittiness screwing it on or in.
Aluminum is soft and about as easily bent or deformed as brass ends formed from sheet bras or tin and brass plated.
Hose washers/gaskets don't last lon, or at least most don and deform to shape of connector and any grit and then crack and so on.
Perhaps CW has some better quality, usually white, washers that are bit thicker too. I bought a box at Ace or somewhere twenty years ago of them.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, Zach! All you've learned is being put into practice. Cool!
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
The rubber washers are often lost and easily replaced. Just fill your fresh water tank and run off that (with the pump) until you can stop the leaking.

Btw, how was your trip? (Glad to see you arrived safely.)

Yeah I've just been rocking the newly sanitized (by me) water tank. Good little trip so far. Just spending a couple days at a CG so I can get moved in and set up. One project after another. Put some dicor on the roof in places that looked like they'll be needing it soon. Also installed a vent cover over my fantastic fan. TPMS installed. Been busy....and have been sleeping like a rock at night. ๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
downtheroad wrote:

Good point, I never even caught that. LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"