cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water hose

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
I went to use my brand new Camco water hose...not the cheap white one, but the more expensive blue one. The fittings on each end leak. Am I doing something wrong or is this common? Don't know how I can screw it up, haha. I tried connecting it to various things and it still leaks. The one at the spigot isn't too bad if I use a wrench to tighten it, but the one on the RV side is pretty bad. Maybe too much pressure? I'm using a pressure regulator, but I think its 45 or 50 psi...maybe too high?

Unfortunately, I missed the window for being able to return it. That's what I get for buying everything I need way in advance...
40 REPLIES 40

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Make sure these are installed in each end...

...and carry spares.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"austinjenna".....Like you, my stuff is inside and no need for the 90. I think you see the issue more with travel trailers where the connection is just attached to the exterior of the coach and is exposed. I'm just big on making everything easy or camping becomes a chore.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jacksons wrote:
Camco water hoses are cheap, returned everyone I bought, both white and blue. best hose I ever bought, and well worth the price LINK TO GOOD HOSES

I've been using those "CHEAP" hoses since the mid 1970's and found usually I only have to replace one because the end (mostly the male) threads/surface gets beat up after quite a few years (10 or more). My current hose I bought from WM (Camco $10 for 25') back in 2007 and it's still going strong. Thus I can get a new hose and fitting every ten years and not start loosing $$$ over the hose you linked to after 40 years if that higher priced hose lasts that long. In fact I still have one of the two original white hoses I first bought back in 1982 that I still use around the hose, just not for the RV anymore.

The cheaper hoses work great for me and my needs.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
"austinjenna".....Simple, just buy a second quick connect, even a plastic one and screw the male quick connect onto your hose and quick connect the ends together for storage.

There are two VERY good reasons for using the quick connect. First, the constant connecting and disconnecting from the RV water inlet, often ruins it over time and you're often fighting leaks. With the quick connect, you can connect it one time, with some pliers and never have a leak.

Since the male quick connect is such a tight mechanical connection to the coach, it better supports a metal 90. The hose is then hanging straight down from the side of the coach with less stress and less of a trip hazard.

I should have elaborated more. I dont use the quick connects on the hose at all, I do use the coil n wrap no leak quick connector that is permanently attached to both my fresh water inlet and one on the black water flusher. I guess its the same principal as what you said where its only put on the inlet one time, so no wear and tear there.

I guess I dont need a 90 degree elbow, my water line feeds in from underneath the compartment so there is no hose sticking out the side of my trailer so the tripping hazard would be the same for me either way. Since mine is in a compartment, it only sticks out a few inches before making its own bend down and out of the compartment.

Actually for me I rarely get full hookups anyway

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bought this 90 and quality hose from company mentioned earlier. They also sell quality water filters. Also bought a Watts regulator from them. None of it's cheap but will last many years.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never put teflon tape or any thread sealant on a hose end. Those threads aren't meant to seal, they're meant to tighten the pieces together.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
i did not take time to read all the replies, but i had the same problem and solved it by putting teflon tape on the male ends. this has to be done from time to time.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
leeper wrote:
Some people think that if it cost more, it is better. A lot of sellers like people whom believe that hog wash.

Sometimes true, sometimes not. I've owned two of the cheap hoses from Wang Mart (didn't learn my lesson the first time) and ended up throwing both away. A decent hose is about 25 to 30 bucks. The $17 Wang Mart special kinks so badly is nearly useless and leaks the first time it touches the ground.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two different quick connects. The ones I bought at CW and elsewhere shut off water flow when disconnected. Some others that look just like them don't.
You have to be quick and firm to connect one and not get sprayed but it is handier than cutting faucet off first to disconnect or connect.
Bought several of them and use on hoses and pressure washer etc around home too.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"austinjenna".....Simple, just buy a second quick connect, even a plastic one and screw the male quick connect onto your hose and quick connect the ends together for storage.

There are two VERY good reasons for using the quick connect. First, the constant connecting and disconnecting from the RV water inlet, often ruins it over time and you're often fighting leaks. With the quick connect, you can connect it one time, with some pliers and never have a leak.

Since the male quick connect is such a tight mechanical connection to the coach, it better supports a metal 90. The hose is then hanging straight down from the side of the coach with less stress and less of a trip hazard.

Before I started using a cord reel, I had a quick connect and 90 elbow on one end of the hose and the regulator on the other. Screw on the regulator and quick connect and you're done!!
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:

I myself never use the quick connects because when I roll up my water hose I just screw the 2 ends together and you cant do that if one end has a quick connector on it.

I do and I can since I put the disconnects on both ends, one on the spigot which I "try" to remember to take with me when I leave.
bumpy

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
On the blue hose package the rubber washers are tied to one of the tie straps, hopefully you still have the packing, otherwise you need to buy new rubber washers.

navegator

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have some spare washers with you too.

(Just remember to put them in a place where you won't forget where they are. :R)

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
austinjenna wrote:
"zach477".....When you go to the hardware store to buy the washer, pick up a brass water hose quick connect. It will be right next to the washers and spray nozzles. You permanently connect the male end of the brass quick connect to the RV connection (use a washer) and leave it there. Connect the female end to the male end of your hose (use a washer). Now, when you connect at a campground, you attach your hose to the water source and then quick connect the hose to the RV, no messing with screwing it on or leaks.

If your water connection on the RV comes out the side and your hose puts pressure on the connection (bending downward), add a 90 degree bend to the hose, before you put the quick connect on. This will make the hose hang straight down and not put pressure on the fitting. Walmart sells all of these parts in their RV section.

I myself never use the quick connects because when I roll up my water hose I just screw the 2 ends together and you cant do that if one end has a quick connector on it.

Also I guess i never understood the 90 degree elbow. I know that folks say it take the pressure off, but in my head I picture the elbow with the hose connected to it and there is just as much pressure from the hose pulling down on that elbow and it kind of is like a lever at that point with the same amount of pressure
The main advantage of the elbow is that the weight is hanging down from a spot very close to the trailer. A hose goes out some before it gradually bends down so the weight of hose and water is out quite a ways from the trailer. Of course this means that the weight is acting like a longer lever, and effectively adding more weight to the hose connection. And there's less chance of tripping over the darned thing since it now hangs straight down the side of the trailer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"