cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water in pilot light tube on water heater.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been having a problem with the pilot light on my manual light Atwood water heater. When it is raining the pilot light won't light.
Today I took off the gas line to the pilot tube and blew into the tube and a little spritz of moisture came out of the pilot tube. And it rained last night.
After doing that a couple of times I put it back together. I used the butane ignitor and held in on the tube for a minute or so to get it dry inside and it lit right up.
I cant see that there is any way that rain is dripping into that tube inside the water heater enclosure.
Is it possible that the rain coupled with temperature change is causing condensation to form in the tube? Is it coming from the propane tanks?
If so why? And what do I do to deal with it?
I don't want to take the heater apart everything I have to light it.
This has been going on for a year off and on, I have a new regulator and pilot tube assembly, which did not solve the problem. It just lightened my wallet by 400 bucks.
Two RV techs have looked at it and don't have a solution.
Jesseannie
11 REPLIES 11

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. I am convinced it is one of the tanks that has moisture in it and it is condensing in the pilot light tube.
I am going to replace both tanks and also the regulator. I know that I could get these purged and recertified but I am doing other renovation work and I want new.
I am redoing the wall panels in the kitchen adding solar panels, changed all the lights to LEDs, all new (11) marker lights. New air conditioner cover. And I don't run out of time and money a new floor. I already had the furnace fan replaced and the wheel bearings serviced so it will be ready for the summer season.
Jesseannie

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
jesseannie wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Can you post the make and model of you water heater ?

Thanks

Atwood g6 manual pilot 6 gal heater

Jesseannie

Thank you. I looked at the manual on-line and I'm sorry but, I don't have any suggestions.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
the tanks are old and need recertification would it be better to just buy new tanks? Would that solve the problem? Are the regulators part of the problem do they need to be replaced sometime? They are probably original equipment 20 years old?

If you can't have a propane dealer evacuate the cylinders and recertify them, of course, new tanks shouldn't have any water in them.

Yes, a 20 yr old regulator is about due for replacement.

What I'd also suggest is while you are replacing regulators, hoses, or cylinders, take a few minutes and blow out the gas supply plumbing. I use my own concoction of solvent and oil, accompanied by 120psi air. At the least, forcing some isopropyl through the gas piping might prove beneficial. Make sure you do not use a lot of oil in there and allow any residual solvent to evaporate before lighting an appliance.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

Thanks

Atwood g6 manual pilot 6 gal heater

Jesseannie

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thanks

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
The moisture is in the small tube right where the pilot flame is. It wouldn't work to slant it because there is a curved up lip there for the flame.
The gas is very low pressure it would not blow it out.
CHRIS BRYANT the tanks are old and need recertification would it be better to just buy new tanks? Would that solve the problem? Are the regulators part of the problem do they need to be replaced sometime? They are probably original equipment 20 years old?

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised that when you have the control knob in the pilot position, to light the pilot, that the gas exiting the pilot tube does not have enough pressure to blow out any moisture.

Anyway, maybe a slight down slant to the tube could be added without changing the end of the tubes position in relation to the main gas tube tip.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Moisture cannot really get in from an external source, so it has to be moisture in the lp cylinder (or tank). Have an ounce or so of anhydrous methanol injected in to the cylinders.
-- Chris Bryant

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Are you referring to the pilot tube as the big tube where the flame burns or the little gas tube that feeds the pilot flame?

If it is the big tube where the flame goes in there might be a crack or hole in the burner tube, some folks get the wrong anode and actually puncture the heater tube installing the longer anode.

This is what I come up with if it is the small tube that feeds the pilot light I am at a loss.

navegator

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
The problem was never the thermocouple it was checked out. The problem is a substantial amount of moisture accumulating in the pilot tube. Until that is gone by evaporation or blowing/drying it will not light.
It works fine in warmer dryer weather.
Jesseannie

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moisture (oily residue) is the result of 'carry over' from additive in propane ---ethyl mercaptan

It is added in small quantities but can build up especially in the smaller pilot tubing on any pilot flame appliances

Did you ever check if 'real' problem is the thermocouple shorting out as posted in your other rain issue thread back in July 2016 that you never responded to?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31