cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Way too much fun in Quartzite

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just returned from your 5th consecutive annual trip to Quartzite. We had even more fun than the previous trips, which was hard to do. Permit me to share a few tips that have worked well for us.

Timing: Every year we drive over on the Monday morning following the opening weekend. We are lucky to be just 250 miles away so 4.5 hours makes for an easy drive. The usually huge opening weekend crowd is thinning out and you can find a spot just about anywhere.

Location: While we stayed out on the BLM land at Sadden Wash when we had our TT, utilizing the truck to drive into town where we always found plenty of parking, now with our Class C we have spent the last three years at the Rice Ranch RV Park. Now the term RV Park is a bit of a stretch... just a dirt/gravel lot where full hook ups go for $35 a night but we prefer to dry camp for $7 a night ($15.85 including tax for two nights). By their own admission the one and only thing they have going is "location" as they are on the southeast corner of Kuehn and 95 making the big tent a short walk of just a few hundred yards.

We fired up our trusty Campfire in a can and soon had 4 neighbors joining us on both nights. The weather was spectacular with highs around 68 - lows around 46. You can still get a great breakfast at Bad Boys Cafe but by 0800 the line was out the door. Selling a good cup of coffee for 25 cents will do that. You can also get a cup of joe for a quarter next door at The Sweet Shop and try their cinnamon rolls for $3.75

Moderation: Everyone there is mellow but we find that after 2 days and nights we have seen all there is to see, completed our shopping and enjoyed a couple of afternoon brewskis at Beer Belly's Adult Care and it is time to get on down the road. We usually head up towards Lake Havesu but his year had commitments back home so we cut this trip shorter than most.

Nothing but nice folks: In five years we have never even seen an armed member of the law enforcement community (through I am told La Paz County Sheriff's have a large undercover presence to keep an eye on things) nor have we ever seen the need. Everyone is friendly and polite, no harsh words or even loud voices to be found. About half of the folks there have their dog(s) with them and even the pooches are on their best behavior.

The Big Tent: Seemed less congested than past years with a larger percentage of actual RV related items. Going shortly after 9 (when it opens), seems to be an ideal time in terms of the crowd but by mid afternoon things usually thin out as well.

Said before and will say it again... everyone should go to Quartzite at least once. For many that will be enough but rest assured we will be back for all the fun again next year.

:B
47 REPLIES 47

DAS26miles
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heading there early tomorrow morning from LA to catch the last 2 days of the RV event. We don't really need anything, but it's fun to look and meet interesting people. Hope everyone doesn't decide to leave at once! That line at the La Posa dump station is going to be very long.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best things about retirement is the ability to take off for parts known and unknown when the wim strikes.

I'll do a little research and check my calendar. I have a late model Lance camper on my truck that's ready to go at any moments notice. Love dry camping with it.

Thanks!!

****EDIT****

DW says as long as Disneyland is on the way, she's ready. Ha!

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
skipro3 wrote:
So, is any planning required or can a guy just hop in his RV, point it in the direction of Quartzsite, and enjoy a couple days walking around the area?

OP here:

As long as you are prepared to dry camp, be it on the free BLM land or in an RV Park (like Rice Ranch where it costs $7 a night), you can in fact just hop in and go. If you just "have" to have full hook ups then reservations are a very good idea.

Just about anything you might need (and forgot to bring), will be readily available. A little on line research (like right here), will help first timers find their way. Go for it!

:C

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
So, is any planning required or can a guy just hop in his RV, point it in the direction of Quartzsite, and enjoy a couple days walking around the area?

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
We just got home about two hours ago. We've gone every year since 2005. It's about 300 miles for us and is always a fun way to start the new year camping. We always stay at a campground near the big tent and can walk over.

During and after the recession, the big tent and surrounding flea markets really stated dying off. This is the first year, since then, every booth in the big tent was sold. As stated, there was a higher percentage of RV booths this year, versus beads and massage oils.

The Spartan Chassis trailer is there every year with filters for just about every DP and Oan generator. I take them my filter list each year, and one of those rolling shopping carts. They fill it with all my filters and I'm good for another year.

There are several flea markets through out town, several RV dealerships that pop up and even a desert golf gourse (literally a desert golf course played amongst the rocks and dirt).
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also, what member here owns this geocache?

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We drove past there on our way to Los Algodones for the day - I was shocked at how many of YOU are out there!

:E
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
We just left Q yesterday, great time with friends while camped at High Jolly. The tent did seem more oriented to RV/Camping than in years past and that was great. We did cruise through some of the independent sellers and purchased a few things that we just could not live without, hehe. Overall a great time meeting new people, I loved the campfire time with friends and can't wait to go back. JH

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Note that the picture that Executive linked above is mainly of the Big Tent RV Show and swap meet booths. All those vehicles and RVs parked around it are RV sellers, folks having a booth at the show and folks visiting the show. You can see I-10 in the picture and on both sides of I-10 are businesses, more swap meets and a few crummy RV parks.

The area in the picture you want to focus on is the far outskirts at the top right. That's where the boondocking is.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
aruba5er wrote:
Like Mecca is to Islam, every RV'r should visit Quartzite at least once in their lifetime. Just a lot of fun.

while out there my wife loves to visit Salvation mountain and my buddy loves slab city.

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
Now this is way RV.net used to be all the time, just good post and pleasant conversation, informative and civil. Lets bring it back.

Boy do I agree. I cant seem to ask a question without 1 or 2 people ripping me because I asked it wrong or it was just a stupid question. Why not say nothing if you dont like my post. Again I thank you for stating this. I come here for help or to share. Not to be belittled.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Like Mecca is to Islam, every RV'r should visit Quartzite at least once in their lifetime. Just a lot of fun.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bowfreak wrote:
For us RV rookies can you tell us more about this, when, what, etc? Thanks

Bowfreak, Quartzsite, also known simply as the Q, is a small town near the Colorado River (18 miles) in the middle of the Arizona desert. Population is less than 4,000 hardy souls. However, at the end of January every year a few RVrs travel there to camp in the desert, share stories and shop for RV related goods and services. A large tent is erected near town to provide these goods and services. Camping is pretty much wherever you can find a spot. There are a few cgs but most people simply camp on the BLM land for next to nothing....below is a link to a few pictures of what to expect......:W....Dennis

Quartzsite Arizona
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MrWizard
we are at rice ranch right now
arrived late sunday afternoon
yesterday we hit the big tent, it seemed more crowded this year, than the past (2) years
today we hit Tyson Wells Flea Market/swap
thurs i will ride around and hit the flea markets
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
For us RV rookies can you tell us more about this, when, what, etc? Thanks