cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Way too much fun in Quartzite

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just returned from your 5th consecutive annual trip to Quartzite. We had even more fun than the previous trips, which was hard to do. Permit me to share a few tips that have worked well for us.

Timing: Every year we drive over on the Monday morning following the opening weekend. We are lucky to be just 250 miles away so 4.5 hours makes for an easy drive. The usually huge opening weekend crowd is thinning out and you can find a spot just about anywhere.

Location: While we stayed out on the BLM land at Sadden Wash when we had our TT, utilizing the truck to drive into town where we always found plenty of parking, now with our Class C we have spent the last three years at the Rice Ranch RV Park. Now the term RV Park is a bit of a stretch... just a dirt/gravel lot where full hook ups go for $35 a night but we prefer to dry camp for $7 a night ($15.85 including tax for two nights). By their own admission the one and only thing they have going is "location" as they are on the southeast corner of Kuehn and 95 making the big tent a short walk of just a few hundred yards.

We fired up our trusty Campfire in a can and soon had 4 neighbors joining us on both nights. The weather was spectacular with highs around 68 - lows around 46. You can still get a great breakfast at Bad Boys Cafe but by 0800 the line was out the door. Selling a good cup of coffee for 25 cents will do that. You can also get a cup of joe for a quarter next door at The Sweet Shop and try their cinnamon rolls for $3.75

Moderation: Everyone there is mellow but we find that after 2 days and nights we have seen all there is to see, completed our shopping and enjoyed a couple of afternoon brewskis at Beer Belly's Adult Care and it is time to get on down the road. We usually head up towards Lake Havesu but his year had commitments back home so we cut this trip shorter than most.

Nothing but nice folks: In five years we have never even seen an armed member of the law enforcement community (through I am told La Paz County Sheriff's have a large undercover presence to keep an eye on things) nor have we ever seen the need. Everyone is friendly and polite, no harsh words or even loud voices to be found. About half of the folks there have their dog(s) with them and even the pooches are on their best behavior.

The Big Tent: Seemed less congested than past years with a larger percentage of actual RV related items. Going shortly after 9 (when it opens), seems to be an ideal time in terms of the crowd but by mid afternoon things usually thin out as well.

Said before and will say it again... everyone should go to Quartzite at least once. For many that will be enough but rest assured we will be back for all the fun again next year.

:B
47 REPLIES 47

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Bowfreak wrote:
For us RV rookies can you tell us more about this, when, what, etc? Thanks

Google: "Quartzsite"

Here's a Link to one of the many web sites for "Quartzsite"...:)

(BTW - The OP left out the "S" - in "QuartzSite")...:W

~

Yep, My bad the "s" belongs (but not in caps), should have read:

"Quartzsite"

This is what happens when you spend too much time at Beer Belly's (also probably spelled wrong), Adult Day Care...

:B:B:B

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Bowfreak wrote:
For us RV rookies can you tell us more about this, when, what, etc? Thanks

Google: "Quartzsite"

Here's a Link to one of the many web sites for "Quartzsite"...:)

(BTW - The OP left out the "S" - in "QuartzSite")...:W

~

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Our first time. We stayed 2 nights at Rice Ranchbwith full hookups to easily access the show initially and to figure the place out. We then moved to LaPosa North for 5days, then to a motorcycle race in Ca and back to Q for a few days. The only downside is my wife seen our next mh so i am now having to figure that one out.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
The Spartan Chassis trailer is there every year with filters for just about every DP and Oan generator. I take them my filter list each year, and one of those rolling shopping carts. They fill it with all my filters and I'm good for another year.
I did the same thing last year at Quartzite. I'm glad Spartan participates at these things. I was also tempted to get my tow bar refurbished by Blue Ox.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I have been causally talking about coming out there someday. Just saw the post asking about a geocache. I went to the geocaching site and saw how many caches are in the area. Now we need to do more than just talk about it.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
Now this is way RV.net used to be all the time, just good post and pleasant conversation, informative and civil. Lets bring it back.

That's because nobody has asked about tires.

DAS26miles
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tahiti16, where did you stay in Havasu?

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
This was our first year out had a great time. We boondocked off Palomosa Rd(SP).

We had spent 4 days up at the Havasu balloon festival first. They biggest yet with 90 balloons making it second biggest right behind Albuquerque.

Great time the at all the different venues and even enjoyed wine tasting and an evening with musical entertainment at the wine room.

Planning on going next year.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

DAS26miles
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks so much for the key info. I thought that was way over priced. May head your way and check out Tombstone. See how my cold recovery is doing. The DW spoke to a Big Tent vendor with info on it.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
DAS26miles wrote:
Made it finally! Went thru big tent and saw a booth warning that many of us have the same outside compartment key CH751. They wanted $100 for 7 new locks and keys that have the cylinder type key..
Anyone have there changed?

Every RV initially has the same "751" key'd storage bays. You can go to Home Depot (or wherever), and buy new locks keyed the same for about $5 a piece. The clowns at the show use the shock and fear factor to try and sell you ridiculously overpriced replacement key'd locks.

I replaced the locks on my two storage bays, the battery and generator compartments. I did not bother with the dump station or electrical cord doors and do NOT key lock the propane tank access door - dangerous and illegal.

Bottom line any low life with a screw driver can get into your storage bays but like the old saying goes "You can keep the honest folks honest" by re keying.

:C

DAS26miles
Explorer II
Explorer II
Made it finally! Went thru big tent and saw a booth warning that many of us have the same outside compartment key CH751. They wanted $100 for 7 new locks and keys that have the cylinder type key..
Anyone have there changed?

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis, you missed the picture of the famous book store :B
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Is it too late to visit Sunday? Do most vendors leave early? We are hoping to see an Arab Armor roof & they are supposed to be there...somewhere. Thanks! We would be driving from Bullhead City just for the day if that makes a difference In your answer.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It is definitely a people/vehicle watcher's paradise! You'll see everything imaginable.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MrWizard
Thursday I rode over to the "main event show ground" on the west end of main street (This is Not the big tent)
There was an antique tractor and machinery show, tractors compressors etc.. On display, with some of the machinery running and for sale
Also a flea market swap meet with antique tools etc..

I took some pix and one video
Will try to get them posted soon
Got a day trip planned today
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s