cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH needed for towing?

WannaKatana
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is a tiresome question. I've been researching this off and on for days and each new post gets me more confused and unsure.

I've never towed before so I WANT to get a WDH but my bank account says no.

I need to tow my RV from Houston to Phoenix or I will keep incurring more lot rent fees and hotel costs (killing me!) but I'm a bit cash poor at the moment.

F150 towing capacity 7,900 if I'm reading the guide correctly. Tow package (not max tow though it has integrated trailer brake control). 5.0L, 3.55 gear ratio. GCWR 13,500.

Camper 4,500 dry/6,500 max. I don't have a lot of stuff and plan to empty all tanks. Tongue weight 540.

Can I get by with just sway bars? I won't tow often at least this year, just this one move.

Thanks,

Joel
26 REPLIES 26

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Add..IMHO...that most things (not just towing a RV) that are designed/engineered are NOT for the good days out there...but...for the moment Mr Murphy crosses your path (not just the other guy)...

At that moment, either you have the right stuff & adjusted properly...or NOT spot on. No time to go back to the store for the proper stuff, nor time to re-adjust...

Lost to most designers & engineers (seemingly to me) is their initial training with some of these basis philosophies:
  1. If they can mis-use it, they will
  2. Design/engineer it for the Idiot and Gorilla
  3. At some point you have to stop making it fool proof...then cover your design with CYA specifications and fine print

BarneyS wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Snip... In fact 99% of the wdhs are hooked to RVs and the majority of trailers towed on the road do not use wdhs. It's sort of a rv industry thing.
Snip...

I suspect that the reason for that is because almost all RV trailers are a good bit heavier than the normal trailer you see being towed around and need a wdh to be towed safely and comfortably. In fact, I'm not sure I agree with your statement that the majority of the trailers on the road do not have them. It has been my experience that, except for the smaller utility trailers, almost all the non-rv trailers I have seen DO have a WD hitch when being towed by a pickup truck.

I admit that most landscape trailers, while carrying heavy loads around town, do not use one but they are not traveling high speeds or long distances. The large enclosed utility trailers and flat bed type trailers carrying cars or farm equipment that I have observed while traveling have been using a wd hitch in most cases. Often those being towed by class A motorhomes or RV transporters will not use one however they are not the majority. This is what I have observed in over 35 years of traveling via a RV.
Barney
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the mod. To me the greatest violation in towing is the ball height. A couple of inches can be the difference in the trailer being in charge and wagging the dog or you being in charge. I see so many that have borrowed their trailer from someone and not given any thought to pulling it.
I guess with all my trips across the USA I've seen far more than most. I will say 20% of those hauling trailers are 1. overloaded to a fault or 2. don't have the proper WDH in play or not there at all. With my long trailer that weighs a lot I can say that I rarely even know it is there once I reach highway speeds.
Three items make my day , ball height, WDH, and Mor/Ryde suspension on the TT.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Snip... In fact 99% of the wdhs are hooked to RVs and the majority of trailers towed on the road do not use wdhs. It's sort of a rv industry thing.
Snip...

I suspect that the reason for that is because almost all RV trailers are a good bit heavier than the normal trailer you see being towed around and need a wdh to be towed safely and comfortably. In fact, I'm not sure I agree with your statement that the majority of the trailers on the road do not have them. It has been my experience that, except for the smaller utility trailers, almost all the non-rv trailers I have seen DO have a WD hitch when being towed by a pickup truck.

I admit that most landscape trailers, while carrying heavy loads around town, do not use one but they are not traveling high speeds or long distances. The large enclosed utility trailers and flat bed type trailers carrying cars or farm equipment that I have observed while traveling have been using a wd hitch in most cases. Often those being towed by class A motorhomes or RV transporters will not use one however they are not the majority. This is what I have observed in over 35 years of traveling via a RV.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Since you do not know what to expect and are inexperienced, yes I'd reccomend it, but no it is not necessary. In fact 99% of the wdhs are hooked to RVs and the majority of trailers towed on the road do not use wdhs. It's sort of a rv industry thing.
Why don't you just hook up the trailer and see how it tows without that stuff. You may be pleasantly surprised. It's not a big trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once you get your hitch, you should spend some time getting it set up correctly for your situation. Most dealers do not have the time, and often the technicians are not knowledgeable enough, to do the job right.

Take a look at this sticky thread that is at the top of this forum. It will tell you how to set up your hitch properly plus give you a lot more information that you will probably fine useful. If you follow the procedures given there you should have your hitch set adjusted well and have a pleasurable towing experience if the rest of your rig is set up as it should be.

Although a lot of that information is somewhat old and refers to specific hitches, it still can be used to set up just about any hitch because the basics are the same no matter what the brand name of the hitch is.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

WannaKatana
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
When in Houston go over to PPL Motorhomes 10777 Southwest Freeway, Houston Texas 77074
They have weight distribution hitches starting at $181 and they will also help you find the exact one needed for your trailer. You don't need anything fancy.

Thanks!! I will call them. I appreciate it. The two quotes I have so far are $500 installed.

WannaKatana
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:

Yes; this is important. AND - setting it up properly will probably involve the use of a fairly hefty torque wrench. Will you be able to borrow one? Will you be able to meticulously follow the set-up instructions in the owner's manual? If not, get some expert help.
-Speak

You're correct. I would rather someone knowledgeable and experienced do it. Thanks.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Not only should you probably get a WDH, you need to (or have someone) set it up correctly. ....

Yes; this is important. AND - setting it up properly will probably involve the use of a fairly hefty torque wrench. Will you be able to borrow one? Will you be able to meticulously follow the set-up instructions in the owner's manual? If not, get some expert help.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
When in Houston go over to PPL Motorhomes 10777 Southwest Freeway, Houston Texas 77074
They have weight distribution hitches starting at $181 and they will also help you find the exact one needed for your trailer. You don't need anything fancy.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
For towing generally, maybe not. For towing that much travel trailer at today's highway speeds, a properly set up WDH is almost a necessity, even for a 3/4 ton or 1-ton single-rear-wheel chassis, because of the amount of weight that otherwise gets lifted off the steering axle.

You might find a used WDH at a pretty low price, particularly in a large metro area like Houston.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
WannaKatana wrote:
I know this is a tiresome question. I've been researching this off and on for days and each new post gets me more confused and unsure.

I've never towed before so I WANT to get a WDH but my bank account says no.

I need to tow my RV from Houston to Phoenix or I will keep incurring more lot rent fees and hotel costs (killing me!) but I'm a bit cash poor at the moment.

F150 towing capacity 7,900 if I'm reading the guide correctly. Tow package (not max tow though it has integrated trailer brake control). 5.0L, 3.55 gear ratio. GCWR 13,500.

Camper 4,500 dry/6,500 max. I don't have a lot of stuff and plan to empty all tanks. Tongue weight 540.

Can I get by with just sway bars? I won't tow often at least this year, just this one move.

Thanks,

Joel

Thing is. you can get a WDH for around $150.00. they are not that expensive. May be less than you are paying for a storage area.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Your hitch is likely only rated for 500 pounds of tongue weight without a WDH. If, and that's a big if, your tongue weight is really only 540 pounds I would probably try it. But, I have been towing all manner of trailers for years. If you've never towed anything before I wouldn't recommend it.
Not only should you probably get a WDH, you need to (or have someone) set it up correctly. This may involve doing some practice towing around locally before taking off across the country. Don't expect to put the hitch on in the parking lot of the store you bought it from and then leave for several states away. It doesn't work that way.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
This is a long shot but would uhaul maybe rent you one? How about a local rv dealer? They may have a used one they want to get rid of. Craigslist? Where do you live, maybe someone near you on this forum would lend or sell a hitch they no longer use.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Intentional, knowingly etc. overloading...will cause much bleeding, bgum.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad