cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What constitutes proper dog walking?

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, having read some comments about walking dogs to poop in front of a site...

When I take my dog for a walk in a park with paved roads bordered by grassy sites I encourage my dog walk on the edge of the grass. The pavement is sometimes very hot! Usually we get to the open area meant for her to use, but occasionally it happens on the way, along the edge of the road, in the grass.

It's not deliberate OR nasty on my part; when ya' gotta go, ya' gotta go. I ALWAYS pick it up. Always. If someone is outside at the site I'll apologize. It never occurred to me before that someone may have thought I was just being a selfish pig.

Folks who don't own pets: you DO know that most of them don't poop on command, right?

Anyway, do you think there's a better way to handle the situation? Sites next to a dog run are not always available.
92 REPLIES 92

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
By the way, dogs CAN be trained to poop on command. Many security and police dogs are.

I would like to ask if you can forward a link or documentation? I would like to see if that training would work for me.

๐Ÿ™‚

I have worked with and trained dogs for this behavior, so I didn't have a link handy, however, found a decent one with Goggle, here you go: Dog Training
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Ya know, I have given some serious thought to this subject.

I think we need a dog poop forum.

We do it is called Congress
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
I pick up (and bag) only the first dog poop. Then I carry that bag every time I walk the dog. So when people see the unattended dog poop, and they look at me walking the dog, I just hold up the bag, and say, "Those shameful dog owners. They make it look bad for the rest of us."

If anyone sees my dog pooping, "Guess she has a problem. She already filled one bag. I have to come back when I get a new bag." Or else I just step on it and it sticks to my shoe. Then I walk through my neighbors site. It usually wears off before I get to my site. I used to walk into the restroom and scrape it off on the toilet seat. But that was even too disgusting for me.

Hope you all realize I am just kidding.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
bertnspike wrote:
I'm curious, having read some comments about walking dogs to poop in front of a site...

When I take my dog for a walk in a park with paved roads bordered by grassy sites I encourage my dog walk on the edge of the grass. The pavement is sometimes very hot! Usually we get to the open area meant for her to use, but occasionally it happens on the way, along the edge of the road, in the grass.

It's not deliberate OR nasty on my part; when ya' gotta go, ya' gotta go. I ALWAYS pick it up. Always. If someone is outside at the site I'll apologize. It never occurred to me before that someone may have thought I was just being a selfish pig.

Folks who don't own pets: you DO know that most of them don't poop on command, right?

Anyway, do you think there's a better way to handle the situation? Sites next to a dog run are not always available.

Don't over think it. As long as you curb your dog and clean up, no one has a right to complain.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
RedRocket204 wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
By the way, dogs CAN be trained to poop on command. Many security and police dogs are.

I would like to ask if you can forward a link or documentation? I would like to see if that training would work for me.

๐Ÿ™‚
All Leader Dogs are trained to do their business on command, it's called "Park" (spell it backwards and you'll know why). But you don't have to take my word for it look the command up. leader dog FAQ

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:

๐Ÿ™‚
I love me some land yachting

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
As far as walking her, I generally have her on a 6' leash (because the rules say so), walking along side me and her dragging the leash. She stops, sits, stays on command.

And you feel you don't have to follow the CG rules, Why?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
As far as walking her, I generally have her on a 6' leash (because the rules say so), walking along side me and her dragging the leash.

Your dog is NOT on a leash and you are breaking the rules. It doesn't matter how well trained your dog it, the rules still apply to you.

It seems from my point of view that most dog owners who let their dog off their leash believe they can control their dog...

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
We are not dog lovers. You could never get me to own one and all the hassles that come with. But I do have a great deal of respect for people that choose to have dogs. Most dog owners that camp tend to train their dogs well in that most of them are good quiet dogs and aren't running around wild. Its some of the owners that need better training! That said, so long as a dog owner is following the rules of the park (this usually means on a leash!) and picking up after the dog, I see no problem.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feed my dog in the morning when I get up and she promply eats and then poops on my site when she is attached to a cable and a ground stake. I grab it in a paper towel, throw it in a zip lock baggie and in the trash can it goes. If I walk her, I carry a ziplock with a couple paper towels in it, just in case. Rarely needed.

She has been conditioned to do this from me feeding her and letting her out in the mornings prior to me going to work. Generally, once a day, right after breakfast is it.

As far as walking her, I generally have her on a 6' leash (because the rules say so), walking along side me and her dragging the leash. She stops, sits, stays on command. Even if another dog, child, person, car or animal approaches. Called her off chasing a rabbit that ran out of the woods last week camping and the guy getting ready to pass us walking the other way wanted to know if I would trade her for his 18 year old Deisel Pusher, lol.

I told him no ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
We let ours go in our site, pick it up and THEN go for a walk. Prevents 99% of the problems noted here.

Thank you!!!!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
We let ours go in our site, pick it up and THEN go for a walk. Prevents 99% of the problems noted here.

Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
Finally, a dog poop thread where I learned something (I don't have dogs). There really is a way to walk the dog and not let it poop on someone's site. I honestly had no idea how to do that. Makes perfect sense once someone said it! ๐Ÿ™‚

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've owned a number of German Shepards over the years, so I have no problem with dogs. But those big babies never RV'ed with us. We're currently in a very nice RV resort with grass between each site. First thing I noticed when we pulled in was the circular dead spots of grass similar to what I used to see associated with our female dogs urine. Just where I want to be sitting on a chair. Watching the seemingly unending parade of little doggies and their owner's I've decided that the grass between sites along the road is actually the dog walk area. Does anyone really think those little bags that the feces are picked up with gets it all? To me it boils down to this. The convenience of the dog and walker versus consideration of the person whose site your dog is using as a bathroom.