cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What kind of RVer are you

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to say one is better just in answering a question my cousin asked today I started thinking about the main categories of RVers. I may have overlooked some and of course most people will fit into multiple categories. I have been all of the following types at one time or another. Right now I am a Snowbird more than anything else. Spending summers in the mountains and winters in the desert at a stick home.

Basically RV people are either:

Full timers with out a stick house.

Snow birds going from bad weather to good weather and frequently having a stick house somewhere.

Vacationers traveling for one or two vacation trips a year or going to a favorite place for recreational reasons on weekends.

Retirees seeing the country and traveling for months at a time at a leisurely pace stopping for days or weeks at they go along but returning to a home base for most of the year;

People living in one because it is the best economic choice for them.

AND ????
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat
71 REPLIES 71

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are basics campers here and not RV'ers.- Our delight is to setup our off-road POPUP Camper on the side of a creek-bed and stay there for days on end... The sounds of the babbling brooks and the wildlife scenery that lives in that area is what we go for...

Have no big desire to get into a hugh RV setup and drive across the country going from Point A to Point B. Just not our cup of tea...

Our longest road trips of late is around 450 miles one-way... Northern Neck VA to either the Smoky Mtns at Gatlinburg, TN or Ocean front at Myrtle beach, SC.

Our real love in the high country around the Virginia and West Virginia wooded state line border Natl Forest areas... That is just a few hours drive from here...

That was basically what we did when we lived in the Phoenix AZ area in the 60s and 70s which was usually a Utility Trailer being pulled by our OFF-ROAD JEEP setup. ... Head for the close-by Red Rock high country for some serious TENT Camping...

Very much depicted by these GOOGLE IMages

For us it doesn't get much better than this...

Most fun and less expensive...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Working stiff with a lot of vacation doing 3-4 weeklong trips and many holiday weekends
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We are retired, snowbird, vacationers. In April we left our winter place in Florida to head to TX. In May back to our S&B in NH. July left to go to CO, UT, AZ, NM then back to the S&B. In Sept we head to Maine. Probably back to FL in Oct.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Hawk7
Explorer
Explorer
Vacationers traveling for one or two vacation trips a year or going to a favorite place for recreational reasons on weekends.

We try to get out as much as possible.. I would camp every weekend if we could. Once the kids are grown and on their own we will full time.
2015 Skyline Dart 214BH Traded in for 2016.5 Skyline Javelin 285rb
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost Super Crew

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Vacationer here.

But more adventure camping vs "going to a favorite place for recreational reasons on weekends"

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we would have to be called "semi-seasonal" if such a term exists. We have a seasonal site in a CG close to our home for us to enjoy summer weekends at the river tubing, fishing, & kayaking. We'll hook onto it at least 2X a year to go to NASCAR races and then we'll make 2 or 3 other long weekend trips to other locations in the early spring and fall.
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retirees seeing the country a few weeks at a time. Did the 6-week-trip thing for a few years and don't like being away from home quite so much, so we cut back.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Full time, no stick house. And loving it! ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

crudeman
Explorer
Explorer
Retired fulltimers since 2006 with no house. Will spend three months again this winter in PCB,Fl and begin heading west after that. ๐Ÿ™‚
Steve & Pat
Hannah - Sophie

2006 HR Ambassador PDQ
2010 Silverado

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Camper.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-time travelers for 16 years - an awesome experience!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are snow birds living in our little cabin on wheels in the Florida keys from early November to early April.
Then we return to our paradise stick house that we built from the ground up on a beautiful trout stream in the NC mountains for the rest of the year.
We also take off for a weekend here or there in the summer where we race our canoe or our kayaks on some river or lake.

Life is good, but we worked hard for it and now are enjoying the fruits of our labor

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

SuperiorBound
Explorer
Explorer
Opportunistic, nothing going on and a couple days off hook up and run.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Snowbirds traveling to stay in the sun, full time, no house.

Our house is our RV.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006