cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When is overprice, a Rippoff ?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember ever taking an iten back for a refund because it was cheaper some where else, but I did a couple days ago at Napa Auto.
I needed an auto part, and a wd40, so thought even tho the wd would be a buck+ more, I would just get it there. But looking at the over priced tag on the way out, I saw the outrageous price of $7.99 for the 8oz wd. So, out of curiosity, I stopped at another store 4 blocks away, and the exact same can was $3.69,......so I bought 2 for $7.38, returned the $7,99 can for a refund. The guy gladly gave me my 8 bucks back, and his attitude was, "he couldn't have cared less"
Am I cheap, or did I just plain get ripped at Napa ?
Needs no answer.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.
53 REPLIES 53

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Most NAPA stores in my area are marketed toward repair shops and other commercial businesses. They offer delivery, monthly invoicing, and have a broad range of products. At one position I held, our shop ordered almost exclusively through NAPA for the most common items. Their service provided saved us a lot of time and expense. Their pricing reflects those services, IMO.

Same for my area. If you walk into a local NAPA, you will notice their phones are ringing constantly with delivery orders for local repair garages. A NAPA delivery driver is usually just walking in to get orders, or walking out to deliver orders.

I own a small landscaping company, and have had NAPA deliver directly to my house when I needed it. NO extra charge!

It would be interesting to see their numbers, but I think "counter sales" are minimal compared to delivery sales.

As some others have posted, NAPA may be the last place they call when they can't find a part, but... NAPA will have it or be able to get it.

I started buying a lot of basic maintenance supplies at Walmart, but recently they seem to be cutting back on stock dramatically and I find my self going back to NAPA for even basic stuff like oil filters. And according to various people, NAPA oil filters are pretty good.

As to pricing of parts, I guess it "depends". A few years ago I wanted to replace the front brakes on my 1987 F350 - the whole shebang, calipers, pistons, etc. I forget the price, but NAPA had entire replacement sets for a remarkably low price from what I could research. They fit perfectly.

I may not be buying WD-40 at NAPA, but I buy most of my vehicle parts from them.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rear driveline u-joint for our twuck one time:

Napa: $154.00

Ram dealer Mopar "Jeep" branded with grease fitting: $48.00

Big Ol Spicer 1800 series u-joint 4 times the size of above for the Kenworth: $50.00

No "ripoff" - free to shop around - no one has a guvvermint monopoly on selling u-joints.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not just Nappa. I went to Oriellys to get a light switch for the truck. They would have to order it and was $119 plus 9% tax. I found the same switch on the internet for $34.95 free shipping and no tax.

Capitalism is wonderful, that I have a choice.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Capitalism ROCKS

BTW, how much gas did you waste? LOL

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
I can't remember ever taking an iten back for a refund because it was cheaper some where else, but I did a couple days ago at Napa Auto.
I needed an auto part, and a wd40, so thought even tho the wd would be a buck+ more, I would just get it there. But looking at the over priced tag on the way out, I saw the outrageous price of $7.99 for the 8oz wd. So, out of curiosity, I stopped at another store 4 blocks away, and the exact same can was $3.69,......so I bought 2 for $7.38, returned the $7,99 can for a refund. The guy gladly gave me my 8 bucks back, and his attitude was, "he couldn't have cared less"
Am I cheap, or did I just plain get ripped at Napa ?
Needs no answer.

In legalese, an advertised price is an "invitation for offer". You offered $7.99 and they accepted it as sufficient. How could that be a rip off? You weren't forced to buy it, that is not a rip off.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Most NAPA stores in my area are marketed toward repair shops and other commercial businesses. They offer delivery, monthly invoicing, and have a broad range of products. At one position I held, our shop ordered almost exclusively through NAPA for the most common items. Their service provided saved us a lot of time and expense. Their pricing reflects those services, IMO.

As someone posted earlier, repair parts through Rock Auto and other online merchants is the best deal if you have the time to wait. These days, for my own fleet or relatives/friends, I'll usually call O'reilly's or Advance Auto for common maintenance parts.

FWIW, I don't buy WD-40 unless I'm cutting bulk aluminum because it's an adequate coolant that's easy to dispense. It's also been many years since I had to squirt a small equipment engine's spark plug wire in the rain, WD-40's other useful property. I use other sprays for penetrants, corrosion resistance, and lubrication that are far superior to WD-40. WD-40 also attacks some rubber and plastics. It's a long story but I nearly lost my life to it's use aboard a tank vessel at sea. IMO, it's basically a ripoff all the time unless you like coconut oil and solvent on everything.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Good on you for taking it back. NAPA is the highest priced place to buy auto and truck parts there is. Check their filter and battery prices. They'll curl your toe nails. NAPA is going to go the way of the likes of Sears, Wards, K Mart, Radio Shack, etc, etc. All because they don't know how to compete. They usually don't have their product out on the display racks priced and when you go to pay you will get the outlaw price rather than the brother in law price. O Rileys and Auto Zone are right behind NAPA with their prices also. And then they add insult to injury and push Chinese junk off on you at higher prices.
jwmII

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I would have charged $10.99 for that. of course, it would be RV WD-40 ๐Ÿ™‚

RV WD-40. I like that. Is it similar to RV toilet paper? ๐Ÿ™‚

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Oldme wrote:
If you knew the price before you bought it and you were not forced to buy it,
then you were not ripped off. You just made a made a purchase based on convenience not on best value for the buck.

+ a bunch.

Thank you!
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the popularity of smartphones, if you think the price is too high, just search the web for it. check the other store prices often from your smartphone..

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
If you knew the price before you bought it and you were not forced to buy it,
then you were not ripped off. You just made a made a purchase based on convenience not on best value for the buck.

Vixen21
Explorer
Explorer
Napa is always my last choice.
I have been working on cars for 40 years now, all of that time I needed to buy parts somewhere, I went where I could get a discount, Napa was the last place that would offer me a discount unless I was wearing my Firestone work shirt and sometimes not even then without a work order. I avoid those thieves like the plague.

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
I can't remember ever taking an iten back for a refund because it was cheaper some where else...Am I cheap, or did I just plain get ripped at Napa ?
Needs no answer.

I usually figure in my time and my angst involved. These days I can afford a bit extra if it is saving me time. When my retirement days come, and time has less of a value to me I will be a more savvy shopper. You just hit your point where you needed to switch it up. I usually get ticked at companies that shrink the size of what you are getting, keep the same packaging and price, thus increasing your costs without our knowledge. I'm personally boycotting starbucks k-cup's because they went from 12 to 10. My wife, however, isn't on the same boycott, i don't have much pull.:B
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
Well. At NAPA. You have to pay for Michael Wartrips losing race team. But take heart. they are going out of business. So maybe NAPA will drop the price.

NAPA dumped Waltrip when they got caught cheating a couple of years back.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Moved from Technology Corner