cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where do get your destination information?

LimaVictor
Explorer
Explorer
After our first two trips, I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the resources available for information while traveling and am curious to hear from those of you who have been doing this for a while.

On our trips, we tended to default to Yelp for some things like places to eat and shop, but I realized that I ended up going off recommendations from the locals we talked to more often than by what I read on reviews.

For other things, like activities, I found the resources pretty limited, or difficult to find unless you already knew where to look...

So this brings me to my question:

What resources do you use to find information about a place you are visiting, and if there was a service (or app) that allowed you to connect to locals and ask questions based on food interests or activities (hiking, biking, fishing, photography, for example), would you be inclined to use it over the more traditional resources (review sites, forums/discussion boards), or is there a similar service already out there that I just haven't come across?

Thanks for your input, I'm interested for future trip planning, as well as gauging interest level in something like this within the traveling community.
25 REPLIES 25

Rock_Wells
Explorer
Explorer
We use a loose combination of Tha AAA guides, this forum, and the internet.
Rock & Nan Wells
'17 Ram Laramie 3500 Diesel 4x4
'17 Keystone Sprinter 297FWRLS FW

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Travelling must have been a real adventure before Al Gore gave us the internet. Now if we get out of cell phone coverage we panic.

I was always a "winging it" type. I think that's part of the fun.

I also like to have my lifelong traveling companion with me, and she follows along with her finger on the map and watching TomTom for time to go after planning the route for 2 days prior to leaving.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
I have a loose itinerary in mind know that serendipity can lead us in a different direction. First, I study my Benchmark atlases of each state for POIs, BLM, USFS and State campgrounds and roads. Then, I look to a few books based on our interests like Rockhounding and photography like Laurent Martreโ€™s series on photographing the western states. I also check out scenic places on Flickr and professional photogs websites along with photo tours.

I probably have every Campground app, gps and Topo map apps and other travel apps there are. They help to plan our trips, too. On the Avenza app, I download the state map then add a waymark, info and a photo. On the road, I add my own comments and photos.

And, ask the locals, rangers, ranchers, hunters, fishers, other folks out there. And, we stop at every historic marker and info kiosk.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
I still have AAA state books and campground books, along with their maps.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travelling must have been a real adventure before Al Gore gave us the internet. Now if we get out of cell phone coverage we panic.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to believe but I remember a time when the yellow pages was a good source of local information. The hard part was finding a phone booth that still had a book.
The good old days when hitting the road was a real adventure, made it up as you went.
Then we discovered the Triptik from AAA.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We used the local Chamber of Commerce/Visitor Centers, especially in the small towns. We also talked to the locals and campground owners/workers. We looked for more nature-types of things - hikes, four-wheeling places, old mines/ghost towns. We also traveled secondary roads, not interstates.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Here's another one from Indiana - the Pink Elephant.

And for an FYI.... here it is:

We have one in Mio, Michigan...

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
rvparkreviews has been asking people for good things to do in the area. I find good stuff there. I also Google "Things to do in X" and get a lot of good info. If I am looking for a good restaurant, Google "restaurants in X".
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If feeling lazy use Trip Advisor. That should cover the well known stuff. The little gems take some further digging. Sometimes the only way to find them is through local knowledge & referral.

As a former very small tour operator for 18 years marketing was always a tough one. I had a good product, think private limo tour on the water, but one cannot survive on repeats & referrals, advertising was the highest overhead. It was more than boat fuel & maintenance combined.

So, for the little guy, do some digging. They are out there.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
We find TripAdvisor to be the best source of restaurant, things to do and also campground reviews.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

link30240
Explorer
Explorer
Often when going to a new area I will check https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions

will show lots of things to do in a area your unfamiliar with plus reviews to see if worth the time and cost to go.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
State and county departments of tourism publications and websites are good sources of things in various areas. I always make a point to stop at state tourist info centers when they are available at state lines as they are a good source of up to date maps and other information.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
When planning my trip. I figure out a rough daily destination then " google" campgrounds, and things to do near that location. RV Parks Reviews is a big help too. Posting here is by far one of the most used tools in this toolbox. The folks here have so much knowledge and have guided my wife and I to what we think are some of the "coolest" spots on our trips. Don't forget to ask around the campground. Fellow campers love to share their experiences. Finally though it's fun just to pick out a place and roll the dice. If you don't like it there is always another campground...
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!