cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

where do old motorhomes go to die?

snavemom
Explorer
Explorer
I registered on here for some moral support. We are having a hard time getting rid of our class a holiday rambler.

You see, we let her sit too long at the side of our house. Our daughter lived full time and moved recently.

We had to have her towed out of our yard - to the mechanic and it was worse than what we thought. We have paid $2500 so far and that was our limit. She won't pass SMOG.

So far, no donation place will take it. Talked to pick and pull and they won't take it and said no one likes to take the old motorhomes.

We don't want to put any more money into it. We just want it gone.

Any ideas? Tried to giveit away for someone to live in, but they would still need to have it registered and smogged in California.

This is a nightmare.
34 REPLIES 34

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
snavemom wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Idk anything about your particular rv,

That's right, you don't know.

Ha, I thought you asked for suggestions on how to sell it........
What don't I know that you're not willing to share about it Or post pics online to try to get it sold for some $?
Me and several people are saying it's worth money and you are saying you can't give it away, even though it runs fine.
So what's the deal, look like a murder scene inside or have the years of full timing/squatting in it turned it into a mess?

Some people can't be helped.......

Yeah - some "vital" info is missing..:S

EASY to donate a vehicle.

EASY to junk a vehicle.

Or - is the OP trolling for free advertising here?..:h

Also - *IF* it's in something better than "junk" condition - often a local Explorer Scout "Search & Rescue" group (affiliated with the PD and/or FD) would be *happy* to have it.

Someone donated an old Class A to the S&R "kids" at the city where I worked.
They not only restored it - but it served them well for lots of years in their "official" capacity (assisting PD & FD, community events, etc.)
And - they were deservedly proud of it's "resurrection"!

"Not passing smog" is only an "impairment" if you make it so.

~

One other option.. FIND a BETTER MECHANIC.

for $2500 they could have replaced nearly every part except for the engine block..

Mechanic soaked the OP..

There is no reason as to why a engine in half decent shape couldn't be brought back into emission compliance without spending $2500 other than inept or corrupt mechanics taking advantage of a customer..

Get a second mechanic opinion from a different garage, give them details as to what has been done and see if they can get you an estimate to make it right.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
snavemom wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

What don't I know that you're not willing to share about it Or post pics online to try to get it sold for some $?
Me and several people are saying it's worth money and you are saying you can't give it away, even though it runs fine.
So what's the deal, look like a murder scene inside or have the years of full timing/squatting in it turned it into a mess?

Yeah - some "vital" info is missing..:S

EASY to donate a vehicle.

EASY to junk a vehicle.

Or - is the OP trolling for free advertising here?..:h

Also - *IF* it's in something better than "junk" condition - often a local Explorer Scout "Search & Rescue" group (affiliated with the PD and/or FD) would be *happy* to have it.

Someone donated an old Class A to the S&R "kids" at the city where I worked.
They not only restored it - but it served them well for lots of years in their "official" capacity (assisting PD & FD, community events, etc.)
And - they were deservedly proud of it's "resurrection"!

"Not passing smog" is only an "impairment" if you make it so.

~

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
What, EXACTLY, does it need to pass smog?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
snavemom wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear you spent BIG bucks to only "try" to pass smog.

Very easy solution to your CALIFORNIA situation:

Advertise it in CL or any publication in Bullhead City AZ.

Bullhead is in Mohave (spelling is correct) County, AZ - which has no
smog testing requirements.

Lots of So. CA "river rats" will be happy to *PAY* a reasonable price for your MH - to use at the CO River!

*If* it will make that trip - to put it up for sale, you are perfectly legal to register it in CA when it's "garaged out of state".

When that is the case - fill out a CA DMV "Statement of Fact Form".
You will need some kind of an address in Mohave County - which can be anything from a campground to a storage yard.

Bottom line - it's out of state. You are a CA resident.
CA wants it's money - and will happily furnish you with tags, without a smog test.

BTW -
For the long distance replies (humorous!) - no Mennonites, and "hunting shack" is even more humorous.

~

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We traded ours in in February and it still on the dealers lot. Glad to see it sitting there.

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
csamayfield55 wrote:
Wait till July or August and put it on Craigslist. Someone will buy it as a burning man special and will just leave it along side the road when it breaks down on the way home.

Chris

Along side the road REGISTERED to you! Burning man donation would work if it was register to the new owner.

snavemom
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Snavemom, first fix you CL add. Put the name of the rv in the title, not "have 2 buyers" or whatever you said.
I'd be rude about that add too. It's horrible.
How about pics from today not 15 years ago when you were camping in it. post some objective info, not a bunch of drivel about potential buyers, etc. it's a for sale add, not Dear Abby.
Also, it's Memorial Day, you have a running rv for sale you posted yesterday or maybe changed the add yesterday? Right now you're turning down potential buyers if someone can even find it with a title to the add like it is.

Just sell the thing. Not sure how,long you tried, but spending $2500 on bs to try to fix the emissions was silly.
Idk anything about your particular rv, but start at $3-4K obo and go from there. Be serious another selling it and get it gone.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
snavemom wrote:
I registered on here for some moral support. We are having a hard time getting rid of our class a holiday rambler.

You see, we let her sit too long at the side of our house. Our daughter lived full time and moved recently.

We had to have her towed out of our yard - to the mechanic and it was worse than what we thought. We have paid $2500 so far and that was our limit. She won't pass SMOG.

So far, no donation place will take it. Talked to pick and pull and they won't take it and said no one likes to take the old motorhomes.

We don't want to put any more money into it. We just want it gone.

Any ideas? Tried to giveit away for someone to live in, but they would still need to have it registered and smogged in California.

This is a nightmare.

Yup small local junkyards or salvage won't take them.

They all told me it's because of the propane on board etc. New EPA and local gov restrictions them from taking them in, for those that adhere to the rules and regs. They said they would have to invest in removing the propane and that in itself requires a permit etc etc. Not worth it for them.

Here is a great place I found where I used to live to donate MH's to.
Rawhide Boys Ranch. Founded by Bart Starr.

They do have connections across the different states. It's a REAL charitable organization where you know your donation will go for a good cause. AND you will be able to deduct your donation.

....""Then consider donating it to Rawhideโ€”a nonprofit co-founded by NFL Hall of Famer Bart Starr. Your car donation can change lives of at risk teens and families who use our services. We also consider boat, motorcycle, RV, motor home, camper, and jet ski donations. If in doubt, call us!...""

http://www.rawhide.org/car-vehicle-donations/

http://www.rawhide.org/

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

MrWizard
Here in southern Calif
The upic part places, do take them
And people strip them bare, doors windows, tanks etc..
Craigslist is a good idea
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If that HR was closer than 2000 mi., I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

FWIW, when we had smog certification in MN, our quick cure for passing inspection was adding alcohol into the tank (a lot of alcohol).
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

snavemom
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
Are there any Mennonites in your neck of the woods? If so, you would probably need to find them and contact them, as they may or may not be looking at Craigslist. Around us, Mennonites are glad to get their hands on stuff like this. They take it apart piece-by-piece and salvage most of the parts. I don't know if they charge anything to do this or if they pay anything for the opportunity. But I do know that they have helped friends of ours out numerous times.

-Speak

No mennonites that I know of here in Northern California. Many have called to live in it on property. In fact the gal that is coming up on Tuesday, wants to live in it. Many people are down and out here in California and can't find cheaper hosuing. Too expensive. So many are resorting to living and buy older RV's to live in.

snavemom
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Snavemom,

That coach is an easy 8~10K$ when driveable. If it doesn't sell, spend the 1100$ to smog it and then have it detailed (ok, now you are 5k out of pocket) and put it back out there at "Price Reduced" 10K...

It could be not passing smog because it has old gas in it.

That is a well made a very desirable coach. I can tell you it isn't too old. (Two decades newer than ours.)

Are you sure you don't want it? Did you ever use it?

Matt

We bought it in 2003. Yes we used it in the early years and even lived in it for 4 years. We had a blast. Then we bought our house and only used it 2 or 3 times in 8 years. So yes, it sat and the fuel got old. Our daughter came down from WA and lived in it for 2 years.

We were going to keep it but we had a $$$ limit and we have met that limit and know, if we continue, we are just pouring money down the pit. We would rather, sell it for cheap and let someone else appreciate her - and someone who can afford to keep her.

It is, what it is. Oh well.