cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where do you hide your money?

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
Where is a good hiding place for money, passports, etc. in the RV?
107 REPLIES 107

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
Many good ideas for the trailer, as well as for the house while we're traveling.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw a youtube video of a hidden safe in the floor of an FW. You could hide it in the bottom of your clothes hamper. Most thieves won't look there. You can also put in a phony breaker box. They make coke cans with false bottoms. You could make your own hide away using a cereal box or oatmeal box. The options are only limited by your imagination. Portable gun safes are handy places to store stuff and they can be bolted into the floor of a closet.

I have a portable gun safe in my truck. It locks to the base of the seat with a cable. It's handy because I figure I'll usually be in or near my truck if I need to get my passport or cash. My truck is alarmed, so I'm hoping it would discourage a thief from trying to get in.

I was camping near Pensacola several years ago when a swarm of police cars arrived as I was setting up. A woman said that she was in her RV with the door opened and went into the bedroom. A guy ran in and grabbed her purse right off the dining room table with her only a few feet away.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If we are talking about shooing burglars away, I wonder about something like this, a TV simulator, which gives the impression that someone is inside watching the boob tube.

Another idea is what I've seen done fairly often with people who store their rigs in/near the city at storage yards. They throw in a dead TV and some electronic items into unlocked storage compartments. A tweaker with their hands full isn't a tweaker ripping walls out for copper wire, although there can be more than one set of burglars deciding to pay a RV lot a visit.

murphysranch
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not worried about any cash I would have. I'm always worried about our two laptops, tablet, and such.
Empty nesters
2 cats
2 cattle dogs too!

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
amazon storage cans
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
Finally, turn a radio on. Thieves can't be sure there isn't somebody still inside and they could be armed.

We always turn the radio on when leaving...it distracts the dog so he isn't busy worrying about the noises he hears outside. The ambient noise won't help you if you try to steal his bacon bites.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I like to have two locations. One is a strongbox, which is intended for papers, prescription medications, external USB hard drives, and if big enough, the laptop itself. The goal is to resist a smash and grab. As of now, I use a metal box that uses a steel cables looped through the backseat, but I eventually want to get a "Dorm Safe" from Dean Safe in my next rig which is a lot better.

The second location is someplace out of the way, mainly intended for spare keys. I don't like diversion safes, since it is likely those would get chucked out, or forgotten. There is always the Hitch Safe which is a small compartment which goes into the tow hitch and has a cap on it. This is good enough to stash a small key or two. This way, the chance of winding up locked out of one's rig is minimized.

Then, there is the safe that gets put into use if going for a long trip where one's wallet and keys are not needed. Attach the Mesa MHK1 Travel Hitch Safe to the tow hitch with a decent locking hitch pin, toss ones stuff into that, call it done. It won't ward off someone going at it with power tools, but it will keep one's keys and such safe while hiking.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Get one of these.....

Money safe
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
My wife dosent allow me to have "money" ๐Ÿ™‚
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
seriously?
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised nobody has mentioned a hiding place on the roof taped under the vent covers.... I've said too much.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok I'll tell you. Its under the steps next to the step motor. It is covered in dirt etc so no one can find it.
I have to take a hose and wash it off good, on my back and a little silicon spray on the joints, otherwise no one can get to it.

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine in my wallet. ๐Ÿ™‚

2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
There is an access panel just below my shower door that is held in place by 4 phillips screws. Simple to remove and about a square foot of dead space for important stuff that I don't want to leave in a box under the couch or in the laundry hamper. Seldom have to access it but easy to access when needed. BTW: The Canadian Border inspectors had no problem locating it and getting a chuckle out of it.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
They make you pay for showers in some places? Oh for heavens sake.

Come to think of it why would you pay for a shower if you have a camper with a shower in it?

... to minimize filling up of the grey tank whenever you're camped in a hot and sweaty campground with only electric and water hookups but also with pay showers - like the campground at the Herkimer Diamond mines we stayed at last fall. You gotta be ready and willing for any situation! ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C