cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you repack your wheel bearings?

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
We keep our RV at a RV storage place. We can't have it at our house due to HOA rules. Where do you repack your wheel bearings if you have a situation like this? We take our RV to a certain RV park near us that allows RV washing when we want to do that (weekend of camping and washing all in 1!) but I haven't found an RV park that will allow that level of maintenance. Thoughts, or do we have to just bite the bullet and get it done at the dealer?
Me and wonderful DH
Previous #1: 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299BHS, 2007 Chevy Tahoe
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)
Current: 2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL, 2004 Ford Excursion
28 REPLIES 28

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
tpi wrote:
When I had my trailer I did it at storage lot. But I didn't get permission first, just did it. I've never had problems working on the rig there, and it is a pretty fussy place.

Is there any chance you could get another opinion by asking? Assuring them the work will be done quickly, and you won't leave a mess?

Get one of those bearing packers so you won't have to knead the grease into the bearings-which is time consuming.

Truck tailgates make good workbenches 🙂

I agree my storage place has a "no repair" rule. I did mine they drove past in their Gator never gave me a second look was done at the end of the day. I also installed my shocks in the yard, less than a day!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a HOA and cannot store our rv in our yard. We talked to our association and they said to call them when we put it in our drive way to pack and unpack. I usually have it in the drive way for about 4 days. I just call them and let them know. No more problems with nasty letters.

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
I take mine in to be packed. takes too long to get the grease out from under my finger nails.

wear gloves
I need some wild

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take it to my auto service guy and he does it. Still beats the RV places and he also services and checks the seals and brakes.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do it at home, but we don't need to worry about a HOA. I'd do it at home regardless to see if they break your stones. Worst case pay to have them done and it'll save you some greasy rags and a little stress.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
I take mine in to be packed. takes too long to get the grease out from under my finger nails.

🙂 BTDT Did the rear axle. Think I'm going to have someone else do the front axle.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
I've used independent tire dealers. Didn't cost much and drop off/pick up the same day.

This is a great idea. We have a great local tire shop, I googled them and found a thread from 2013 where someone had them repack the wheel bearings on their RV. They charged $65 an axle vs. RV places that wanted $50 a wheel at the time. Definitely worth getting a quote on!
Me and wonderful DH
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I've always taken my trails to my Jayco dealer they rotate the wheels, do the bears and almost always have an issue or two that Jayco covers for us. We do this normally after 12,000 - 15,000 miles which is yearly. They go over several other points while doing the bearings. Maybe this is overkill but to us it is much more important to know they have prepped us for our next trip.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
Our local town has a business where you take your car and can fix it yourself using their facility.

It's called 'U Do It Auto Repair

http://www.udoitauto.com/

http://www.mtdemocrat.com/z_md-direct/save-the-big-bucks-at-u-do-it-auto-repair/

This is kind of what I was envisioning when I asked the question... this is so cool! I didn't really think something like this existed, I was just dreaming. DH is drooling... they should have these in every city. I don't think we are so lucky, but I will do some Googling!
Me and wonderful DH

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Our local town has a business where you take your car and can fix it yourself using their facility.

It's called 'U Do It Auto Repair

http://www.udoitauto.com/

http://www.mtdemocrat.com/z_md-direct/save-the-big-bucks-at-u-do-it-auto-repair/

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I would take it to a good trailer, not RV repair facility where they install axles, springs and so on. They'll do a better job and also inspect your springs, hangars and brakes.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my trailer I did it at storage lot. But I didn't get permission first, just did it. I've never had problems working on the rig there, and it is a pretty fussy place.

Is there any chance you could get another opinion by asking? Assuring them the work will be done quickly, and you won't leave a mess?

Get one of those bearing packers so you won't have to knead the grease into the bearings-which is time consuming.

Truck tailgates make good workbenches 🙂

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
I,d do it at home just to tick them off. only takes couple hours. do a good clean up. and in my opinion its time to move. nobody should be watched over.I lived in a area like that, I moved to the far out burbs. I make the rules..
X-2
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund