cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which do u prefer?

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Which method do you use when winterizing your camper....do u antifreeze or do you blow ur lines out with air and put antifreeze in the traps?
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle
25 REPLIES 25

TheFitRV_James
Explorer
Explorer
Utah gets almost as cold as Wyoming, and I've always used just compressed air. I do put the pink stuff in the traps and tanks though. Never had a problem with this method. As was mentioned though, do it right.

Made a video of me doing it on our blog if anyone cares to look. Nothing groundbreaking though. But I am done in 30 minutes.

Like our neighbor in Wyoming, we winterize and de-winterize several times, all winter long. Pumping through the pink stuff would be way too much of a pain.
2003 Forest River MB Cruiser - Completely rebuilt in 2012
Follow our adventures on our blog, The Fit RV!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:
Antifreeze since I don't trust the other method. Just my 2cts.:B

That pink stuff does freeze. Just not hard.

We may winterize & de-winterize several times a year.

If you blow out lines it is like anything else, do a good job. We winterize & de-winterize on the road when temp drops below 10 degrees. The problem with the pink stuff is getting it all out of your lines when it is still partially solid state. It is kind of like soft pudding until completely thawed. If you de-winterize once a year when every thing has thawed it would probably be ok for that pink stuff.

That pink stuff may not gel that much in warmer climates. We get pretty cool in WY even in June.

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
I use antifreeze. Seems to me every spring there are a few folks with broken plumbing who used air. I'm not that much of a gambler. Your choice.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Antifreeze since I don't trust the other method. Just my 2cts.:B

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well we don't get that many hard freezes here in the NW. I low point drain and drain the WH, then blow the lines. Pink in the drains, nothing in the tanks. I may do this three to six times during the winter as we will go out an time of the year.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
I prefer the Phoenix method. :B

Yeah baby :B

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bypass and drain the water heater tank, drain the fresh water tank, stick the tube in the antifreeze, turn on the pump, check that antifreeze is coming out everywhere, add a little to the black tank and fresh water tank, and call it good. The gray water tanks are already empty. Been doing it this way for 8 years with no issues. I'm just not crazy about pressurizing the lines, and the antifreeze works great and takes about 15 minutes. Just depends on the individual.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
It gets cold in WY. I drain tanks. Then blow out all lines. Put RV anti freeze in all traps and commode. I make sure enough goes down into tanks to protect dump valves and some left in commode. I don't pump that pink stuff into my water lines. Air doesn't freeze.

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
I have always used antifreeze....this year I am gonna use air.....I have had years on the past that I didn't at all.....but it messed up the kitchen faucet I had to replace it the following spring.
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
I dump the hot water and empty the low water lines. I then purge with air.
I use auto windshield anti freeze in the drains and I have never bought the pink stuff.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I do both, blow out the lines then fill the lines with antifreeze.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer the Phoenix method. :B
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
Live in no winterized area. But I clean my system every 60 days!
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question directly, I blow out lines and add RV antifreeze to all the traps and black and gray tank. We don't have extended periods of really cold weather in NE Texas, though.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado