cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which do u prefer?

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Which method do you use when winterizing your camper....do u antifreeze or do you blow ur lines out with air and put antifreeze in the traps?
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle
25 REPLIES 25

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Bypass the heater and drain, blow out the lines, open the low point drains, remove the filter and dump antifreeze in the traps.

Me 2.
...and I don't have to deal with flushing, flushing, flushing anti-freeze in the spring.

...and never had any freeze damage of any kind. (have seen temps in the teens).
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOuble Post
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
bypass/drain the water heater, drain/remove water filter, drain gray/fresh water tanks, blow the lines out (open all faucets, outdoor shower, step on toilet valve), spin water pump,open low point drains, cheap antifreeze in sink/shower traps .... having a washer, ice maker, and/or RO water filtration system complicates the process

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, Double Post

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always pumped the pink stuff in the past but this past winter, I just drained the hot water heater, through the bypass, drained the hot and cold low point drains and fresh water drain and recapped them. Hooked the compressor up and pumped air until every faucet had been opened and purged and then put a cup or two in all the traps.

Took my daughter and myself about 30 minutes and will be the way I go from now on.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Drain water through low point drains and sink drains, drain water heater and bypass, pump in pink stuff, pour last year's pink stuff into drains, go get a beer.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Central Texas, so freezes usually are weather getting below 32 overnight. Knowing this, I blow the lines out, then pump in some cheap vodka, then blow the lines out again. The drains/traps get RV antifreeze, and I call the job done. The benefit of this over the pink stuff in supply lines is that after a de-winterizing, there are no lingering tastes/odors. I also bypass/drain the water heater, since that is a good time to replace the anode rod anyway, although here in central Texas, the rod stays almost intact, except that lime builds up on it, and if not scraped off, may render the rod too large to be removed from the water heater.

However, if I lived in a cooler climate, I wouldn't take chances. I would dump the tanks, dump/bypass the water heater, blow the lines out, add pink stuff until it came out every faucet, blow the lines out again, and call it done. Just blowing out the water has a good chance of leaving stuff in low places (especially valves and elbows) which will crack over the winter.

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry... it's been so long, I've forgotten.
RVn Full-time

davelinde
Explorer
Explorer
I always blew the lines empty, then filled with antifreeze too.
I now use my preferred method... I moved south and don't worry about it any more.
Dave Lindemulder
Tammy, Mark & Kirsten
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 SLT QC/SB HO-CTD/48RE
01 Volvo VNL660 singled VED12
09 Heartland Cyclone 3210

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Bypass the heater and drain, blow out the lines, open the low point drains, remove the filter and dump antifreeze in the traps.

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
First, I drain the fresh water system via the low point drain, then I blow out the lines using both the hose inlet and the pump inlet, and them put the pink anti-freeze in the traps and in the black and gray tanks. If I expect hard freezes I also siphon all the water out of the bottom of the water heater.

Note that we winter in Arizona or California, so we winterize to prevent freezing in the spring and fall depending on where we are (we store our RV for several months a year in Colorado where hard freezes occasionally occur from time to time except in July through August.