cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Worse this year?

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
We are volunteer hosts at a Corps. Of Engineers campground. This is a our fourth summer here. (9th year overall hosting)

The past three years it was usual to have a noise compliant, maybe, once a month. This year we are receiving them once a week or more!

We are asked to explain and educate campers about the rules. No enforcement. 99% of the time campers will comply when the rule is explained to them. No problem.

This year I have had more people want to argue the rule. One 20 something group of six argued with me for 20 minutes about the "no parking/tents on grass" rule. After all that they only stayed one night!! ( I know I should have not argued but their overall attitude just angered me, which is VERY unusual.) I say to you campers: I did not write the rule, and there are places you can express your concern to, but not me.

So what you say work campers? Is the general overall mood, and thus people's actions much worse this year than other years?
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006
44 REPLIES 44

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
We are volunteer hosts at a Corps. Of Engineers campground. This is a our fourth summer here. (9th year overall hosting)

The past three years it was usual to have a noise compliant, maybe, once a month. This year we are receiving them once a week or more!

We are asked to explain and educate campers about the rules. No enforcement. 99% of the time campers will comply when the rule is explained to them. No problem.

This year I have had more people want to argue the rule. One 20 something group of six argued with me for 20 minutes about the "no parking/tents on grass" rule. After all that they only stayed one night!! ( I know I should have not argued but their overall attitude just angered me, which is VERY unusual.) I say to you campers: I did not write the rule, and there are places you can express your concern to, but not me.

So what you say work campers? Is the general overall mood, and thus people's actions much worse this year than other years?

I spent a number of years, to many actually, as a Contract Park Attendant for the COE. A few years back I guess I burned out with the customers being nastier then the year before and retired to volunteer security work at closed campgrounds. It seems to be a spreading disease.

A few weeks back I had a camper show up and wanted to camp, no matter that the park was closed. When I explained that it wasn't possible and denied his demand to be let in explaining he was a taxpayer and as such he had every right to camp there closed or not. He eventually realized that it wasn't going to happen after much huffing and puffing and telling me that he was "resisting his urge to exercise his 2nd amendment rights" he left.

So yes I would agree it's getting worse.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I think it may have something to do with you have more familiarity with the park and it's operations after 4 years and you are just more in tune with what is going on. You probably have also improved the park, taken care of many other issues and what is left stands out. Kind of like if you are running from a hungry bear, that pebble in your shoe just isn't as annoying as it is when you are walking to the dessert bar at your local Golden Corral. When the little annoyances and aggravations are the only issues you have to deal with, you have achieved success.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
What you are seeing is a overall general decay with civility in society, especially with the under 30 crowd. Maybe its partly due to the internet, maybe it has something to do with the "everyone gets a trophy" generation growing up and thinking they are all extraordinary. Whatever it is, its the same thing all the LEO's and teachers are seeing. Everybody wants to argue with authority.
E.Lee Galik

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:

Today's world they would have got the point faster with a text:S

You are probably right and it may work! No personal vist needed, I just text them! :B
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:

Today's world they would have got the point faster with a text:S

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
sail2liv wrote:
Welcome to the human race and john q public.....you should be happy if you have been doing this for 9 yr and is your first encounter.....

Worked with the public my entire life. Most of it in my own businesses.

Certainly NOT my first encounter of this type in the past 9 years, but it just seems that there are a lot more of them this year.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the human race and john q public.....you should be happy if you have been doing this for 9 yr and is your first encounter.....

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps some more information should be provided on the web site or in campground literature, to the effect that some or all sites are not tent friendly. And if it is designated as a tent site, it needs to be tent friendly.

I would be annoyed and setting up on the grass too, if I paid for a tent site, and arrived to find no good spot for a tent.

A cursory review of the site on the reservation system will show a picture AND lists the driveway surface BEFORE you even make a reservation, never mind driving there. I don't know what else you would need.

The common rules are listed on the back of the map supplied at check in. Please read them.

The tent issue is only an example of the decline of campers activities. Loud Music, excessive alcohol use, improper parking are others.

It just seems to be a lot more issues this year. Have other work campers experienced this?
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Folks wrote:
Naio wrote:
Where would a person set up a tent other than on grass?

I am sorry you are dealing with so much hassle. I think it's unlikely that the whole world has become grouchier this year :). Maybe your park has become popular with a different crowd?

All equipment must be set up on the site, which is delineated by 12x12 beams. Unfortunately, the site is gravel and not real tent "friendly."

Why not grass? Because after a very short time of tents being on the grass, it dies, leaving a large mud pit. Not very pleasant. Seen it happen in some areas of the park.

I know I can call a ranger for enforcement, and one of two things will happen: 1. Immediate eviction without refund 2. Civil ticket of $136.00.

Has the park become popular with a different crowd? Good question, and a possibility. I will monitor the demographics.

My question is not about what to do etc., but rather is the amount or incidence of unhappy, rule breaking campers increased this year??

I do appreciate all responses.

Perhaps some more information should be provided on the web site or in campground literature, to the effect that some or all sites are not tent friendly. And if it is designated as a tent site, it needs to be tent friendly.

I would be annoyed and setting up on the grass too, if I paid for a tent site, and arrived to find no good spot for a tent.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naio wrote:

I am sorry you are dealing with so much hassle. I think it's unlikely that the whole world has become grouchier this year :). Maybe your park has become popular with a different crowd?

On a tent pad. Tent sites usually have a level spot or area for that purpose. Often they have a clear border.

I think the latter part of the comment is correct. My kids are in their 20s and I shudder to think of a group of their peers (not friends, they have friends with class) coming to party in a campground for the weekend.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:

All equipment must be set up on the site, which is delineated by 12x12 beams. Unfortunately, the site is gravel and not real tent "friendly."

Why not grass? Because after a very short time of tents being on the grass, it dies, leaving a large mud pit. Not very pleasant. Seen it happen in some areas of the park.

I know I can call a ranger for enforcement, and one of two things will happen: 1. Immediate eviction without refund 2. Civil ticket of $136.00.

Has the park become popular with a different crowd? Good question, and a possibility. I will monitor the demographics.

My question is not about what to do etc., but rather is the amount or incidence of unhappy, rule breaking campers increased this year??

I do appreciate all responses.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
All I can say is that we really appreciate it when parks, rangers, and hosts ENFORCE the rules.
I would add: and enforce them EQUALLY.

Naio wrote:
Maybe your park has become popular with a different crowd?
Enter the millennials.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
All I can say is that we really appreciate it when parks, rangers, and hosts ENFORCE the rules.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Naio
Explorer
Explorer

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walk away, make one phone call. Rangers are paid to deal with rifraf, not you.