cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone cell tower approved

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Park service allows Verizon to build a 100' tall cell tower near Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. Link

Good news, or bad news?
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
31 REPLIES 31

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

Don't you ever wonder how folks enjoyed their vacations without electronics?

I do wonder!

The DW has to...just has to have her notebook along.
Even if there is no wifi.
We bring DVDs along and watch movies.
1 movie per nite is more than enough for me.
Wouldn't drop to my knees and cry if there was no television.

I've packed my tablet and notebook and frigging phone.
Never touched them the whole time.
Don't even bother now.

I'm a web junkie at the house.
In the trailer I couldn't care less.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
even in this day and age one forgets how many lives and acrea of property can be saved just by having cell service in some remote areas.

sad but gone are the days of being able to hook up your phone to a external anntena wit this little add on item your coverage area was ten to twenty times as big as now.
it is a scam on the public to get more money out if them. for less service.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
gemsworld wrote:
If it wasn't for the "electronic leash" many RVers, specially full timers and some snowbirds, would not be able to enjoy the RV lifestyle.

Totally untrue. When we began full-timing 17 years ago we had no cell phone and no computer and that lasted for years until we were pressured into it by having everything online and taking away my phone booth. ๐Ÿ™‚

I spent more time doing things outside than I do now sitting at this blankety blank computer. I admit it and I'm not proud of it. One thing we have avoided though is a T.V. Never watch one....

Don't you ever wonder how folks enjoyed their vacations without electronics?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Oh sure sure!

Next thing you know the National Park Service will be selling Big Gulps and Slurpees at Mesa Verde!

Calm down folks, it isn't a "business venture" or anything of the sort. No flashing lights and generators running.

Why not visit Yellowstone (I doubt many of you folks have even been there) and see what a marvelous job the Park Service will do in integrating cell service into a place such as Yellowstone.

I'll probably be shouted down by the Luddites in a few minutes, but I had to say my piece.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
An acre of gravel and fence and a huge galvanized steel tower with flashing lights at the top and generator at the bottom is what everyone wants, at their local fishing spot, or campground, or national park of course.
If you want a phone at your campground, Jackson Hole or others have plenty and lots of lights and so on to suit. then there is Pigeon Forge,the Panama City Beach of the Appalachians. Lots of lights and traffic, and noise and so on.

Really?!!!!
Yet another poster that doesn't really know what they are talking about.
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our National Parks, our national treasures, being converted into businesses is ultimately what many want and many are getting their way, in places.
A national treasure like Yellowstone should be preserved in all its fashion. We got along fine before cell phones.
An acre of gravel and fence and a huge galvanized steel tower with flashing lights at the top and generator at the bottom is what everyone wants, at their local fishing spot, or campground, or national park of course.
If you want a phone at your campground, Jackson Hole or others have plenty and lots of lights and so on to suit. then there is Pigeon Forge,the Panama City Beach of the Appalachians. Lots of lights and traffic, and noise and so on.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
There is at least one cell tower in AZ that is so well camouflaged that the camp host had to point it out to me when I asked if there was cell phone coverage available.VZN did a good job of making it look like a saguaro cactus.
I like the idea of having cell phone coverage available.If I want to be "off the leash" I can turn my phone off.(Like,that's going to happen!)
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Yellowstone, a cell tower at each major campground/visitor center will not detract from the overall experience. This will allow those who need to stay in touch with the outside world a chance to do so.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:

I didn't know they were keeping score. On top of that, making comments about my family is way out of line.

I didn't think, from your comments, that you had ever been to Yellowstone. Referring to a microwave repeater tower in reference to a cell tower is just sticking your foot in your mouth. Next time you want to criticize someone or something, wait until you actually know what you are talking about.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
I'm not surprised. The NPS has been on a quest to destroy all the Natl Parks. Golf course in Death Valley after they took over. Death Valley was awesome before it became a Natl Park. Huge hotels and cities within the parks. It is sad. Only time we go to Yellowstone anymore is for a short cut over the mountains to Idaho.

Furnace Creek Golf Course opened in 1930, Death Valley became a National Park in 1994. Something doesn't work out right with your comment.
All of the hotels that are there now were there before it became a National Park, just where do you get your "information".
2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I'm flattered! :W

Don't be! You obviously give yourself too much credit. You simply jumped into a thread that I am interested in.

Keith

:R

You mean this one, where I was the very first person to post after the O.P.?

Likely story...think your wife'll buy it? ๐Ÿ˜‰
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do like Hawaii make them look like native trees! Not every palm tree in Hawaii is real!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
gotsmart wrote:
I liken it more like desperation as the NPS tries to replace funds lost to the budget process as Congress continues to underfund it. The annual payment for the lease of the land for the cell tower is a much-needed chunk of change to the NPS coffers.

Expect to see more cell towers in the future.

And how do you know that - I appreciate the fact in an emergency I will have cell to make that 911 call

I did not say I know anything for a fact. It is my guess that the NPS is looking at every possible revenue stream to make up what Congress is not giving it.

If you read between the lines of my previous post, I'm implying that the NPS will introduce as much commercialization that it thinks the parks can sustain. Good or bad. In the end it boils down to money.

It is my opinion that the budget issues that the NPS faces now and in the future are only going to get worse.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone National Park is twice the size of Rhode Island, I don't think one cell tower at Fishing Bridge will kill the experience. Maybe they can put it next to the automotive repair garage, the multiple stores or in the marina. Or maybe it will become a lightning rod, burn down the park and ruin it forever!!!

In recent years, the NPS has been doing some nice work. When they install something new or remodel, a fair amount of thought goes into it. A prime example is Yosemite. Does anyone remember how nasty the bus parking was at Yosemite Falls. They eliminated it, found another spot for the buses and made it so nice you would never know there was a parking lot there.

For all those complaining, I'll bet you'll be the first to try your cell phone in the park. As one poster stated, many keep in touch with elderly and sick family members while away on trips.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab