cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

You can't fix stupid

usmohls2
Explorer
Explorer
Had to take a road trip by car last week. A Prevost MH towing a 7 series BMW 4 down passed me like I was parked. I sped up just to see how fast He was going. Twenty seven MPH over the speed limit! That right,102 miles per hour! If the driver of the Prevost reads this post, I want to give you two thumbs down!!!
87 REPLIES 87

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
concerning cell phones.....there are 2 groups. those that can do 2 things at once and those that can`t walk and chew gum. some people need the law and dome don`t! I have hands free in my X, but never have an issue holding the phone.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
So, yeah- it IS our business!

Yes, indeed it is!

It may be your business Francesca & Ray but it's not mine. If you want to make it your business, go for it. As for me, I have enough on my plate already. I'm not going take on your "stuff" also.

A quick call to the SP to alert them is not taking on someone else's "stuff" - it's potentially saving someone's life, possibly even your own. If that driver had taken out one of your loved ones and it could have been taken care of by a 30 second phone call, you'd be carrying the burden and sadness of a whole lot of OTHER "stuff".

Speeding up to see how fast he was going DOES fall under the category of stupid is as stupid does. Makes you as dangerous as the original idiot because you are paying attention to HIM and not what you are doing.

I concur especially on your two points of the OP thinking it was O.K. to post what he did admitting to speeding up to determine that excessive speed and not bothering to call the police. It amazes me sometimes what people think might be wrong while failing to see how wrong they also are.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
rickeoni wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
rickeoni wrote:

More dangerous to call on your phone while driving! Talking on the phone is far more stupid than speeding.

:S

Excessive speed killed 10,230 U.S. Americans in 2010. source

Phone distraction while driving killed 350 U.S. Americans in 2011.source

Almost impossible to prove texting, reading emails etc. The statistics are probably far greater than can ever be measured. While I am not condoning speeding all am I trying to get accross is calling to report a bad driver whike you are still driving only compounds the issue.

Just remember the life you take may not be your own!

I HATE cell phone users while driving. Doesn't matter to me whether they have "hands free" or not. I have gotten pretty good in telling who is using a cell phone on the highway - speeding up and slowing down, slight movement of the vehicle back and forth across their lane, etc.

I also think the majority of accidents today are caused by cell phone use (again, does NOT matter if it is "hands free")... first thing most police will do today at an accident scene is check the driver's cell phone. I'm just going by my own experience in responding to accidents as a firefighter.

Having said that... even in states where hand held cell phones are banned (such as Connecticut), you are allowed to use a cell phone in an emergency. Reporting a drunk driver falls in that category, along with a speeder.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DiskDoctr wrote:
I wouldn't bother calling. Tried to report an extreme DUI a while back with 911. Followed the guy 15mins while they transferred around, each one wanting the full replay.

Eventually, I said, "Forget it, he's parked now."

It seems public reports of other drivers ranks up there with a raccoon in a tree reports.

IMHO, you'd be better served by leaving the phone on the seat and watching the road and traffic very carefully for any unexpected "maneuvers"
This ^^^
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
rickeoni wrote:

More dangerous to call on your phone while driving! Talking on the phone is far more stupid than speeding.

Almost impossible to prove texting, reading emails etc. The statistics are probably far greater than can ever be measured. While I am not condoning speeding all am I trying to get accross is calling to report a bad driver whike you are still driving only compounds the issue.

Just remember the life you take may not be your own!
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
I had a guy in a dually pulling a giant 5th wheel blow past me when I was doing 70. About 10 minutes down the road, he was pulled over, ripping and tearing the rest of his side awning off. He looked like he had it under control, so I didn't stop to help. Thankfully, none of it was in the roadway.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Just driving my Toyota sir. Accelerator was stuck.

Followed a DUI while working with early cell phone. Kept getting cut off. Had wife with video camera in hand. Followed subject into town where there was a festival going on. He managed to bump a truck while trying to park. The nice officer was handed the tape as I drove by after my U turn and told it was all on the 911 system too. Hated to give up that expensive $15 tape but some things are just worth it.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I just spent a week driving through 6 different states on vacation over the last 10 days. On each interstate there are signs posted from time to time that read TO REPORT IMPAIRED DRIVERS CALL 911 or something similar. Apparently several states think the idea of calling the police on reckless drivers like the Prevost idiot is a very good idea. Works for me.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DiskDoctr wrote:
I wouldn't bother calling. Tried to report an extreme DUI a while back with 911. Followed the guy 15mins while they transferred around, each one wanting the full replay.

Eventually, I said, "Forget it, he's parked now."

It seems public reports of other drivers ranks up there with a raccoon in a tree reports.

IMHO, you'd be better served by leaving the phone on the seat and watching the road and traffic very carefully for any unexpected "maneuvers"

Well my luck was much better, reported a impaired drive, the Ram has a Parrot! Drifting lane to lane, called 911, and reported with our location. Asked if we could stay with the car, driver was a real danger, so replied yes.
We were able to keep the dispatcher advised of our location, I have in all my years of driving been so happy to see the blue lights behind me.
The whole thing likely took no more than 5 to 10 minutes.

The best option that came with my used 01 RAM Parrot Bluetooth.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Dangerous driving should be reported imo..and that speed is way too fast for such huge bus.
It may not help if the police dont respond,
but then again it may save someone's life if they do..

In Ontario if you go 50 klicks over the limit its 2500$ fine and get your vehicle impounded immediately..

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
I believe none of what I hear & only half of what I see.
Moose

LindanMick
Explorer
Explorer
Just because you can buy it , does not mean you know what you are doing. We have a big lake not to far from us and people have ocean going boats on it. They have no idea how to navigate open water. It's get the h@ll out of my way attitude. A coach pulling a Beemer has money and wants you to know it. The speed limit does not mean anything to them and they will tell the cops that. That is the world we live in folks. Everyone wants to be rich , there you go. Get the H@LL out of my way. The best thing to do is watch your back and drive the way you feel safe. If you don't like it, go some where else.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well he bought a BMW, can`t be that smart!

I too would make the call if I could.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
But he drives a Prevost AND a Beemer, he's allowed to drive anyway he wants; just ask him.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
rickeoni wrote:

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien