cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20 years ago

Lisaren
Explorer
Explorer
About 20 years ago, I found a very small black and white cat. She was covered with fleas and roaming around a parking lot where I worked. I already had three cats of my own and could not keep her. I picked her up, put her in a box and asked the guard to keep her for the day. The boss would not let me bring her inside. I called my best friend and she agreed to give her a home. We thought she was only about three months old because of her size. When she was taken to the vet, he guessed her to be about six months old and the small size because of malnourishment. He told my friend she would not be a long lived cat because of her terrible start in life. Monday I went with my friend to take that cat to be put down. Her body was failing due to age and my friend let her go with great sadness and dignity.
She told me it was only fitting because I gave her to her for me to be there at the end. I enjoyed the happy part of giving her to my best friend and I was glad to provide support when she did what needed to be done.
Lisaren
Madison5004
2 rugrats
2001 Flagstaff 227 Pop-Up
2 non-camping cats - Miss Kitty and Jet
1 dog - Sirius
12 REPLIES 12

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
What a truly inspiring story for you to rescue that little malnourished kitty, only to deliver her to a good friend willing to provide a good home full of love and kindness. All resulting in a full life - 20 years, wow. We just recently had our house painted and Butch, our painter, looked forward everyday to coming over and seeing our dogs. One day, he asked me "didn't we have another little dog?", I told him yes, Missy. She got sick and we had to euthanize her. Oh you should've seen the sadness on his face as he began to tell me that just a few months ago he lost one of his kittys, she was 20 years old. Year before, his other kitty, died at 21 years. He said the house was now empty each night and he was ready to get another little pet, but this time a dog. I tell you, this guy is over 6 foot but when he saw our dogs, that guy was reduced to talking baby talk to them and they loved it. Love. That's all they want from us.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lisaren
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your kind words. My friend is indeed grieving for 20 years is a long time.
Still, I shared the story mostly for the triumph of that little cat's life. She never weighed over seven pounds and remained very spry and active until about the last year of her life when kidney failure began. It is amazing what love and good care can accomplish.
Lisaren
Madison5004
2 rugrats
2001 Flagstaff 227 Pop-Up
2 non-camping cats - Miss Kitty and Jet
1 dog - Sirius

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
What a special story! Vets' predictions do not always come true, do they? 20 years is remarkable. I'm sure your friend has a ton of special memories. It's something like karma, the way the little rascals wind up in our lives. We call them little angels in fur coats. Thanks for sharing this one.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will be 18 in January. I treasure every day I have with her now... She rarely comes out from under the covers of DD's bed these days...

I so sorry for the loss you and your friend are feeling. It is hard to lose one after so many years together...
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
I am so truly sorry for you and your friends loss but Thank You both for providing that precious kitty a long healthy loving home.

Gunner45
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend's cat. I'm so glad she was able to have her for those 20 years. What a great source of comfort you must have been for her.

~ Dori ~

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is a campground stray. We found her in surprisingly good health. She was good at begging, and campers eat well!

It would be wonderful to have her around that long.

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Great story! Sorry for your and your friend's loss!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great "Cat Tale". We've only had one live to 21 and she was also a parking lot kitten.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
We adopted our two cats in April 1994 when they were 4 months old...Maize died in 2003 but her sister Blue is still alive today and will be 20 in December...

20 years for a cat is indeed quite a life...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

dturm
20 years is indeed a long life. We're sorry for your loss.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
20 years....just goes to show what love and good care can accomplish....it was a blessing you found her on that day ...she may have had a bad start in life but lived out her days in happiness do to you and your friend....Thank you both for being so caring and compassionate.