cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dogs rideing in RV

cableguy574
Explorer
Explorer
Our dog is drools the hole time we are in RV or Car. We have trying almost every normal way. What have some of you other dog lovers try..
We save him from a pound no what has happened to him, He is half border collie & half Pyrenees and 71 pounds
2008 National Pacifica V36a
2014 Jeep Wrangler /Brake Buddy
JUST Me & My wife & dogs ๐Ÿ™‚
FMCA 387898
A member of NUTS
23 REPLIES 23

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
From the OP the drooling is coming from the fact that he is half pyrenees, it comes with the breed. Also salavation is also triggered by food smells and besides, my kids drooled and I didn't ever crate them. So basically dogs are like kids, they come with perks and things we don't always like, but we learn to live with them. Get some more towels and let him enjoy the ride.
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
All our dogs travel in crates, it's for their own protection (think car seat for children). Some of ours don't like to see the world go by in the window so we make sure they cannot see out. Our two youngest (almost 2years) still don't like riding in vehicles. One thing that has worked in the past was short trips to do something they really like; for our dogs that is working sheep. The other thing that works is more experience traveling; over time they get used to it. Until they do you help them deal (thunder shirt, no food before driving, exercise to get them tired, meds if needed, etc). One of my older dogs (9years) still is not fond of loading up before a trip (she's fine once we get started); I find the more trips we make the more willing she is to load up.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought of trying a Calming Cap? I have not personally needed one for our dogs, but a good friend used one for her rescue German Shepherd. They are full timers, and leaving the pup behind was not an option. She said it made a great difference.
The cap does not block off the dog's vision completely, but the mesh over the eye area apparently does enough to eliminate adverse visual stimulation.

Just a thought.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerseyjim wrote:
Never been a fan of crates...so that's one option not open to me. My dog loves my pickup. Also like wifes' car. But the motorhome? Forget it. Clearly uncomfortable, with shaking (an incredible vibration) and drooling somewhat, we only have two theory's:
1- the sound (frequency) of the engine (a V-10)
2- the first time she got in the motorhome, she said to herself : Ah! a new house! but then the house moved.

We won't go the "medication" route,, but we have no idea what to do to calm her anxiety down. She's only 3....hopefully as she ages she'll calm a bit. Don't know.

My Moosedog didn't like the motorhome at first. He was used to a TT that didn't move (as far as he could tell). I had moved all his toys into the clipper and he thought it was the same. Then we drove off. He was extremely nervous the entire drive (30 minutes each way). After a few trips, he started to calm down. He still gets nervous at times, but will usually sit on the couch and look out the windows. I think the excitement of going someplace fun has outweighed the stress of the drive. Just as long as I don't hit those "wake up bumps" on the side of the road - that noise freaks him out. It's also better with fresh air coming in.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
I feel very pleased that our 6 yr old white lab loves to travel,when she see us putting things in for a trip she's on me like I'm a treat.She has HER spot on the sofa and under my wifes feet.I even made a 4 in box in the pass side so she can look out the front window,My lab goes everywhere we go,she loves to travel

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Never been a fan of crates...so that's one option not open to me. My dog loves my pickup. Also like wifes' car. But the motorhome? Forget it. Clearly uncomfortable, with shaking (an incredible vibration) and drooling somewhat, we only have two theory's:
1- the sound (frequency) of the engine (a V-10)
2- the first time she got in the motorhome, she said to herself : Ah! a new house! but then the house moved.

We won't go the "medication" route,, but we have no idea what to do to calm her anxiety down. She's only 3....hopefully as she ages she'll calm a bit. Don't know.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a pure bred Great Pyrenees and allow her to travel where she is comfortable. Our other Pyr, male, was the same way. Since yours is a mix of a lazy dog(Pyr) and a high energy dog(Border Collie) I would let your dog decide where it is the most comfortable and then move the dog's bed there and see how it does. Our Pyr is well over 100 pounds so a crate is out of the question because of it's size. I'm not sure how big the crate would have to be to comfortably allow a 70 pound dog to ride in your coach. Probably about the size of an RV couch.
Drooling comes with the Pyr since it is a "wet mouth" type breed so you may just want to keep plenty of towels in the RV when you travel.
It might take several trips for the dog to feel comfortable but remember Border Collies aren't known for wanting to lay still.

sharibartling
Explorer
Explorer
Jericho. My 100# GS tries to roll up in a ball in front of MY seat! I have to put my feet up on my chair but I'll only do it for 15-20 miles, then he'll calm down, last year we had 2 dogs with us for 5 weeks that was a real pain! They both wanted to sit on my lap but I bought a baby gate before we left...I think all dogs drool though

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
In all probability, the salivation is caused by either nausea (car sickness) or anxiety. If you address these the salivation should disappear. The thundershirt works for many, you may need medications from your vet.

I don't recommend tranquilizers only any more. There are many more specific meds that can hit the nausea or deal directly with anxiety without just sedating them.

Doug, DVM
X-2, I agree with Dr. Doug! Our dogs extremely dislike crates my Red Standard Poodle likes to stand up for hours with her snout placed on top of my shoulder. Before my Siberian Husky died of old age she did the same thing with her snout. Our Westie rides in my wife's lap. Good Luck with all the good advice!

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
To help our dogs while traveling, we put their soft crates up on the bed in the back. They always rode in their crates, whether in the cars, or in the motorhome. They did not to like riding out where they had to always were trying to keep their balance during travel. In their crates, they could just curl up in a familiar location, and usually sleep. It has always seemed cruel to us to let animals ride loose, and have a lot more possibility of injury to themselves.

X2. Our little Boston was a mess in the truck,or car...panting excessively and shaking, would never relax. We tried a few different pet seats and a leveled pet bed......nothing worked. Since she was crate trained we finally got a travel crate, cheapy from Walmart....padded the inside well, leveled it and strapped it with the seatbelt...worked miracles. Now she will relax....not exactly enjoying it....but will ride calmly and no more panting and shaking. We are driving across the country heading to AZ, she is accepting it fairly well.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not fond of crates. I've seen too many people use them as an alternative to socializing and/or training their dogs - people coming over, just put the dog in the crate.

First and foremost, the RV and car should be connected to HAPPY experiences. Start with short trips going to the local park or natural areas. Let them get out and explore smells, etc. Make lots of short trips (less than 30 minutes). If you have to do a longer trip, stop every hour for 5 minutes. Let him step outside and go potty, etc., then get back in and start up again. Try to build up to big trips.

When in the RV, have one person sit in the back with the dog and get him to lay down - have the person pet him throughout the drive and comfort him.

Slow down! Many dogs get carsick. Taking curves and going up and down on non-flat roads at what we consider normal speeds can be too much for a dog's tummy. Slowing down reduces the sensations that a dog feels on the curves and hills.

Let the dog spend time in the RV when it's parked at the house. Have special toys/treats in it that are only for the RV. Make it a fun place in and of itself.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dturm
In all probability, the salivation is caused by either nausea (car sickness) or anxiety. If you address these the salivation should disappear. The thundershirt works for many, you may need medications from your vet.

I don't recommend tranquilizers only any more. There are many more specific meds that can hit the nausea or deal directly with anxiety without just sedating them.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from Class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

Travelr
Explorer
Explorer
Agree.. Crate is the only way. Safe for everyone. Contains drool too. We have the same problem. Try putting a sheet over the crate too.
Ken Cash