cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water and food bowls?

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a mess-free way to feed and water our little dog, in our small motorhome, while on the road.
A system that is relatively small.

Thanks
2021 27' Lazy Daze mid bath
13 REPLIES 13

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I use the Neater Feeder for my dog. The holder will not tip over and all water spills are contained within the holder. My son uses a larger size for his golden doodle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMHOZOK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with a service dog and he uses a mat like this:

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/bowls-and-feeders/placemats/kong-pet-feeding-placemat-51195.html?cgid=100206

I read recently to never use plastic as it can not be cleaned properly & will hold germs & to always use Stainless. He has two stainless like this:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ruffin-it-stainless-steel-non-skid-dish?cm_vc=-10005
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I've used tupperware with lid for water and put it in the step down before you go out of the rv (24 foot). Imagine my surprise (a rescue) when she brought me the lidded bowl because she wanted the lid taken off so she could drink? Metal food dish and she brings me that (far too much) to fill up. Food is not out all day.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We offer water when we stop, and we are always stopped at meal time, which is when she eats too. We do not leave food out for free feeding as it also attracts critters. Once stopped we leave water out. I found a rubber mat in the cat section of the pet store that we use under her bowl to catch any drips or accidental spills.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a spill proof water bowl we purchased from Pet Smart several years ago. We also have one of those mats that are made for water bowls size wise which keeps it from slipping and absorbs water. Never had a problem when we had our motor home and now we keep it in the crew cab next to our big dog.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
We use a dish like this for water and food. Never had a problem

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ruffin-it-stainless-steel-non-skid-dish?cm_vc=-10005

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Water Hole

This^^^ Never spills, not even during the hellish northern part of the drive to Alaska. It's not too big, so doesn't take up too much space. For food dishes, I have some smallish stainless bowls that fit inside the water hole dish for storage (when not being used)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I offer water when we stop and let her out. However, I have seen small bowls with a inward lip that make them almost spill proof. Sorry cannot recall where. Perhaps someone else will know?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just use wide flat bottom short dog bowls for the food. Neither dog is a "bowl tipper", but these bowls reduce accidental tipping.

For water, I use an ice bucket. Inside, it sits in a corner so two sides are against walls. The dogs have not tipped it over inside. I empty it while driving. Outside, if it tips over, it's not a big deal.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dturm
We use elevated bowls, had to for Kaiya and just continued after she died. It makes for less dripping after drinking, but we put a bath mat under it. The bath mat is a padded one that is mostly water proof and is easily cleaned/dried outside. It has a non-slip surface on one side and holds the bowls in place while moving.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
We use a puppy pee pad, folded to just the right size and with the absorbent side out, underneath the dog's bowls in the RV when we're parked. It absorbs drips and has saved us from a bigger mess a few times when a foot accidentally knocked the bowl. While we're in motion the water bowl is placed in the sink. It doesn't seem to slide around or slosh, but it's a small bowl for a small dog. Might not work for a larger bowl.

FWIW--our dog doesn't use pee pads, but we find them to be extremely useful for many things in the RV. We've used them on campground picnic tables while cutting a melon, as disposable rugs/shoe holders when it's wet/muddy, a couple of times when we thought something was leaking under the RV a puppy pad was just right to place beneath the suspect area to collect evidence, etc.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Friends of ours swear by this No Spill Dog Bowls.

They put it up as part of their check list before hitting the road.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of options, but best is not to try feed or water while in motion. And best to use a table mat of some kind under the bowls to catch and contain any spills, which WILL happen! We have used holder for bowls, both for large dogs, that needed to be raised, and for floor-lever for much smaller dogs. This is a good option... https://www.amazon.com/UPSKY-Double-Premium-Stainless-Modeling/dp/B07LF1JLZ6?ref_=Oct_NReleaseC_2975351011_2&pf_rd_r=7CJ6PKYX1WXFYHJKAJJN&pf_rd_p=616143cd-8707-5796-9cf1-25909ccb0cb1&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=2975351011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.