cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v marine/deep cycle batteries

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
I know they are not true deep cycle and I have no intention of going to 6 volt batteries.
Which would be your choice between the Interstate SRM-29 and the WalMart Everstart Maxx 29DC? I can get the Interstates for $119 and the Everstarts for $99. They both weigh 61 lbs. I found the specs on the Interstate and its 1 year warranty but can't find anything on the Everstarts?
I am buying two to go along with my two 100w solar panels and Phocos controller for short boondocking trips in AZ with plenty of sunshine.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost
2006 Ragen FS2500 Toy Hauler
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
57 REPLIES 57

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Eternally connected to a power pedestal either should work just fine...

Yep,connected to shore power would be just fine, but I wouldn't want to try boondocking for very long.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
More than likely they came from the same battery factory. 90% of the batteries come from three manufacturers. The big difference is the lable slapped on it at the end of the line.

I think Interstate is the US Battery but from factory in Mexico.
Walmart - have no idea.

I would buy trusted names of deep cycle, like Deka or Trojan. Both make 12V models. Deka also comes under a few rebranded names, don't remember now.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Eternally connected to a power pedestal either should work just fine...

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt there is one lick of difference on the internals between the two batteries. One just has a white case, a green lid, and a huge marketing team behind it who make up all sorts of whacked out claims about their greatness.

A 6 volt GC battery is easier to fully charge, and will last 2x the amount of cycles in the same usage.

In my area the trojan scs225 (group31, 125AH)and the Trojan T-1275 (150AH) are the same price, 179$ and the t1275 weighs 18 lbs more.

I'd have 6v golfcarts if I could fit their height. But I am more than done with dual purpose car jar wet/flooded batteries.

A properly looked after battery will never require warranty 99.98% of the time. Batteries are murdered by a baseball bat to the groin applied over and over. Thicker plates of GC batteries, is like an Athletic supporter covering the groin.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
here is chart showing different batteries including the Everstart.Battery chart
have you checked with Costco?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
AZDesertRat wrote:
I know they are not true deep cycle and I have no intention of going to 6 volt batteries.

It seems the vast majority of so-called "deep cycle" batteries rarely are, even those labeled as such from well known manufacturers ... here's an interesting dissertation on the subject.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
If those were the choices, I would pay a little more for the interstate batteries.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with the 6v golf cart batteries, true deep cycle batteries, every time, if I was dry camping at all and off the pedestal. The Trojan T-1275 is also a golf cart battery in 12V version. Costs quite a bit more.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The real beauty is with two each 6VDC golf cart deep cycle batteries in series weighing 61 lbs each will give you 12VDC at around 220AHs for around $160... A single Trojan T1275 12V deep cycle battery weighing around 82 lbs each will give you 12VDC at around 150AHs and will cost around $250 dollars. Two mounted in Parallel will give you around 300AHs for around $500...

If you are on a budget then the cheaper golf cart batteries are the way to go...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Why rule out 6V??? It only involves buying one extra $10 cable to put them in series. Personally wont go back to 12V after having 6V for many years now.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
More than likely they came from the same battery factory. 90% of the batteries come from three manufacturers. The big difference is the lable slapped on it at the end of the line.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No Walmart batteries will ever live in my coach!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman