cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Conditioner Problem

Nummy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both my air conditioners checked twice, the front air three times. They will run for about fifteen minutes and then the compressor turns off and comes back on and they cycle this way. The front air must be kept on high fan or it will freeze up every time. When the coach was new ,2005 Monaco La Palma, the air conditioners would run for hours without interruption. Now that front one runs only minutes after starting to cycle. The rear air does a little better. Running the front air at night with fan on high and thermostat on 72 just keeps the coach bearable. Like I said I have had the coach in to one of the largest RV sales and service garages in the midwest. They tell me the AC's are working fine but they are not. I would appreciate any input on my problem.
8 REPLIES 8

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be time to clean the A/C Evaporator Coils, too. Here's Chris Bryant's Process
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
You mentioned one of the units freezing up. This is most times indicative of low freon.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect cold air recirculation, but that would be an obvious thing to check for a pro. Just turn it on, let it get cold, and stick your hand up in the return to feel for cold air leaks.
-- Chris Bryant

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Running fan on high to prevent icing is common and I wouldn't consider that an issue - however cleaning the evaporator coil might help.
Kevin

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wonder IF one of the vents is pointed directly at the thermostat.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I would be measuring the AC voltage at the air conditioners. Could be a tired transfer panel contact or something such as a weak connection in the breaker panel.

If the voltage is going low due to a weak connection symptoms can vary.

Have you cleaned the Ac coils?
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
YOUR BEST BET

From a professional outfit familiar with the AC brand

Moved from Forum Technical Support