cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning Fabric Replacement

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 16' Sunchaser awning in need of replacement of the fabric only. Have received 2 quotes from the only 2 local mobile entities (I'm being kind here) in the game. They range from 5 to 6 hundred. Seems way excessive for the project. Any advice? Thx.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
18 REPLIES 18

pdogg
Explorer
Explorer
Recently did mine in my driveway, a couple of hours of work, and 2-3 people needed... not complicated at all... Paid about $175 for stock replacement fabric on amazon..

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's the Awning Fabric Replacement article I wrote on this board a few years ago.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a pretty good explanation of the replacement. It is also why it is 5-600 dollars. $200 for the fabric and then 3 men for a hour or so to do the work. It is not a hard job but you do need a minimum of 2 helpers.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Must be a little awkward wrapping the fabric around the tube?
Wouldn't it be easier to pull the fabric off the tube, then attach the new one, flip the lever and use the spring to automatically wrap the fabric around the tube?
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently gave these directions to someone else on the RV Net, and he wrote me back and thanked me, as he said he was done in an hour. This is how I helped my neighbor replace two awnings. You will need two helpers. Flip "open catch" and pull awning out about 2 or 3 inches. Unhook bottom end of legs and drop leg to ground using extension legs to take weight of awning. Unbolt top bolts to trailer and take out screw that keeps awning in place from sliding back and forth. Get one person on each end of awning and slide it out of track. Lay awning on ground and place a block of wood or a pail under each end near tube. DO NOT TRY TO TAKE AWNING ARMS OFF ENDS OF SHAFT.KEEPING IT ATTCHED KEEPS SPRINGS FROM UNWINDING. Unwrap fabric from tube. Drill out pop rivets at rear, non-catch end of tube. Slide end cap off tube 2 or 3 inches to allow clearance to slide fabric off.(DO NOT PULL ALL THE WAY OUT AS SPRING WILL UNWIND. SPRING IS ABOUT 18 INCHES LONG.) Slide new fabric on, and re wrap fabric. Slide end cap in place and pop rivet. Get one person at each end of awning support, and have third on ladder to guide awning into rail. Once awning is in place, bolt to trailer, center fabric between supports and install screw. Lift legs in to lower catches. Flip ratchet lock and awning will close. This way you do not have to deal with springs.

For Fisher guy:
If you released the catch to pull the awning off, the awning springs would UNWIND completely, and there would be no tension on the awning. Most awnings have 6 to 8 turns of tension on them when they are in the rolled up position. You would be putting more tension on the springs to try and pull the fabric off. You could never pull the fabric off.
Fabric is wrapped bout 7 or 8 times, and it is quite easy to unwrap and rewrap the new fabric.
Dr Quick

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Thanks for all the responses thus far. I'm hearing that the install is not that difficult? From someone who has done it please. THX
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have done my own replacement on two TTs. The first was a manual awning, and I pretty much followed what Cloud Driver posted (except the nail), and it turned out great.

Last year I did a power awning. It has some differences, and I did a write up on it here:Power awning fabric replacement
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I used CampingWorld for fabric. And for replacement awnings over the past 20 or so years.
Sometimes did the work myself..other times had them do it. No problems with price or the installs.

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
just installed new awning fabric purchased from toughtop awnings. very pleased and satisfied.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
$5-6k should be a totally new electric awning (even then it's overpriced assuming you don't need to rebuild the underlying structure).

We need to replace the fabric and doing it ourselves, we have quotes for around $350.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Camping World near you, I would suggest you contact them for the awning fabric replacement...a lot cheaper than the figures you quoted.

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
Have a 16' Sunchaser awning in need of replacement of the fabric only. Have received 2 quotes from the only 2 local mobile entities (I'm being kind here) in the game. They range from 5 to 6K. Seems way excessive for the project. Any advice? Thx.

$500-$600 or $5000-$6000

$500-$600 would be a reasonable price from a Mobile RV Tech.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
look at awnings 4 rvs or on ebay

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I documented my DIY awning fabric replacement (with pictures) in this thread. The fabric cost $155 in 2011 and still looks great.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚