cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning has moved. How easy to move back?

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
My awning has slid about 2" in the track where it attaches the the trailer which does not allow the arms to go back fully for travel. In Willis Texas right now and have a long drive home to Ontario on Friday and don't want problems. How easy would it be to slide the top of the awning back the 2" and re-lock it with the original screw that was holding it in place in the track? Can I just pull and it will slide or is this going to give me a big problem? Any suggestions on how to slide it back into place?

Thanks,
Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller
13 REPLIES 13

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the input. DD and I took about 20 minutes to slide it back into place. Moved a bit the first few pulls and then slid to far the other way. Found the best way to line it up was to only pull out the awning a couple of inches and then pull on the drum until the arms were lined up again.

Again thanks for everyone's help. I have no problem tackling things like this at home. If I make a mistake there not a problem but 1500 miles from home can be a real pain. I liked the silicone lubricant idea but everything moved really easy.

Rob
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have trouble moving it in the track, spray silicone lubricant as best you can on the track. It really helped us getting one off and back on.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suggest stainless steel screws. Won't waste away with rust and fall out. May not corrode into track so it won't back out.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

JesseJ1826
Explorer
Explorer
Get a cheap spray bottle from dollar store, dilute some dishwasher liquid, spray solution into channel. I have found this reduces the effort required to slide the awning considerably.
J J

2001 Four Winds Chateau 31N E450 V10
2006 Saturn Vue V6 AWD, drivetrain by Honda, body by Tupperware
Aventa II, Brake Buddy

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Sounds like it should work easily. Once DS gets up today I will get him to help me. The right side has a screw but not attached to the awning anymore. Can use that again once I center. Was just concerned that it might take more than a tug to get it to move or there might be another trick to it.

Will let everyone know how it went later today when I am done. No ladder here so will probably need to stand on the truck box to work it over.

Thanks,
Rob
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One mine there is a SCREW in roughly the center to prevent just that from happening (The center of the track that is not the center of the awning)

But the other end moves or did till I screwed it as well.

TO move, you will need a partner or a step ladder, either one will work

Extend awning, have partner hold it up a bit, or use the ladder to hold it up and then from a DIFFERENT ladder, tug gently

If that does not move it then you will need to work along it pushing a bit

But I think a gentle tug shoudl work

once you have it properly centered. Roll up and insert screw like Damon did on mine.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sbpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Neither of my awnings had screws at the end of the tracks and a gust of wind pulled my rear awning back on the track and pulled the arms out twisting them. Prime Time/Forest River, has made it right, but look for the screws retaining the awning in the track.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is screwed down at the trailer side, they move on the drum no screw holding them.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
'Timing' an awning is easy. You will see , or should, a screw driven through the fabric at each end of the wall c channel and in the tube c channel. Remove both, either of the 2, whichever ones are not centering the fabric between the arms. Slide the fabric forward or back until the arms overlap easily. reinstall screws. Oversizing the screws might be necessary if holes are stripped, but try to use the same size maybe an inch away in a new location.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
just make sure the ends on the TT and the drum are the same. after you pull on the moved area, roll it up a few times to make sure it rolls up smooth

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the 5ers awning, there was a screw at each end at the top. Had to use a ladder to get at them.

Yes moving the top of the awning back over gets the arms to fit together again so they can be clamped.

Loosen screws, slide the top of the awning along and tighten back down. If the screw(s) won't tighten, get fatter screws. I had a lot of trouble in the Rv with screws in aluminum where they could no longer be tightened. Never found a good way to solve that except drill a new hole over a bit.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
I did my own, but 2 to do it would be a lot easier. I loosened the screw (might be one at each end, but I had only one) and did the top near the roof first a little, then down to the same end at "out" part of the awning. I had rolled it out first. Then, back to the roof end and pulled some more, then back to "out" end. Took about 4 or 5 tries to get it back to the right place.
Tightened screw back. Worked fine.

Thanks. That sounds pretty easy. Mine has only moved at the roof and not on the drum at the out end. Hoping I don't have to call an awning guy to do it. Sounds like what you did was pretty simple so may get off lucky.
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I did my own, but 2 to do it would be a lot easier. I loosened the screw (might be one at each end, but I had only one) and did the top near the roof first a little, then down to the same end at "out" part of the awning. I had rolled it out first. Then, back to the roof end and pulled some more, then back to "out" end. Took about 4 or 5 tries to get it back to the right place.
Tightened screw back. Worked fine.