cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bike Hauling Question

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I want to take my bike home from Yuma. We pull an Arctic Fox 22GQ. I am trying to decide whether or not I can simply strap it on behind the trailer. (I don't want to put out bucks for a fancy bike carrier!) I am wondering if I can simply stow it in front of the trailer spare tire (between it and the trailer.) without damaging the finish on the trailer. If so, what should I use to tie it down? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rear of Trailer
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
20 REPLIES 20

lifelongcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Wrap it up and store it inside. It's what we do with both our bikes. Never had a problem damaging the bikes or the RV.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
As someone who has been an avid cyclist all my life and owned several expensive road/mountain bikes, I would NEVER strap my bike to the outside of my RV, . . . ever. My current bike stays inside and goes where I sleep when I'm not sleeping there. Covered, on the bed, out of sight, out of mind. Here's why.

IMO, America is filled with people who have substance abuse issues. An expensive bicycle is one of the best solutions to their problem. Think about it. Walk up and take possession of your bicycle, then ride it directly to their connect. "Hey mister drug dealer, I'm hurting and I don't have any money but I have this nice bike. Can you fix me up?" (your bike immediately goes on Craigslist and sells (probably) that day for 1/4 to 1/2 of its current value) Addict gets high, drug dealer makes way more money than they normally would, you, . . . . . are out of luck. It happens every day. Don't let it happen to you.

If you have a sun baked, beat up $79.95 WalMart clunker, it's usually not an issue because generally, they aren't interested. (not enough money) But, if you have a custom made high dollar bike(s), well, can you say, "Gone in 60 seconds." You are on the road in a location you don't know well. The local thief picked you for exactly that reason. What are you gonna do now? Put your trip on hold and try to find your bike, or, just move on?

Chum lee

With you totally on this one brother. I have 4 bikes ranging from $1500-3000 in cost and I would NEVER, EVER just strap them to something outside my camper!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
As someone who has been an avid cyclist all my life and owned several expensive road/mountain bikes, I would NEVER strap my bike to the outside of my RV, . . . ever. My current bike stays inside and goes where I sleep when I'm not sleeping there. Covered, on the bed, out of sight, out of mind. Here's why.

IMO, America is filled with people who have substance abuse issues. An expensive bicycle is one of the best solutions to their problem. Think about it. Walk up and take possession of your bicycle, then ride it directly to their connect. "Hey mister drug dealer, I'm hurting and I don't have any money but I have this nice bike. Can you fix me up?" (your bike immediately goes on Craigslist and sells (probably) that day for 1/4 to 1/2 of its current value) Addict gets high, drug dealer makes way more money than they normally would, you, . . . . . are out of luck. It happens every day. Don't let it happen to you.

If you have a sun baked, beat up $79.95 WalMart clunker, it's usually not an issue because generally, they aren't interested. (not enough money) But, if you have a custom made high dollar bike(s), well, can you say, "Gone in 60 seconds." You are on the road in a location you don't know well. The local thief picked you for exactly that reason. What are you gonna do now? Put your trip on hold and try to find your bike, or, just move on?

Chum lee

x2!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Have to agree with carrying in back seat of truck or on rv bed if ur able to pull front tire. Since its just the 2 of us it takes seconds per bike to remove our front rim and they go in our Ram crew cab back seat. If we have passengers the bikes go in the rv in vapor barrier and on a cheap moving blanket on queen bed. I couldn't imagine leaving a high end bike out in plain view on any type of bike rack.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer

Chum lee

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Art,

It would help if you told us more about the "bike".
We carry our pair of bikes inside the coach. While they may be in the way at bed time, they are safe and clean.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
K Charles wrote:
We got the kind that lets you take the front wheel off in about 10 seconds. When we had a tent camper we put the bikes inside it. With a trailer we put them in back of the third row seat. They lay flat with the front wheel off, put it on the bed.

Mine has quick release wheels, so I remove the front wheel, allowing the handle bars to turn sideways, and just put it in the back seat, with the seats tipped up. My pedals come off easily too, so I remove them so they don't get caught, while putting the bike in/out.

Jerry

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used a Yakima Beddy Jo for many years for my road bikes. I cover them on longer trips.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
put down a thick old blanket for cushioning and lay it down inside the trailer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We stand ours up on the back wheel and take it inside the trailer. Easy as that. Just lean it onto a blanket. No worries
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We got the kind that lets you take the front wheel off in about 10 seconds. When we had a tent camper we put the bikes inside it. With a trailer we put them in back of the third row seat. They lay flat with the front wheel off, put it on the bed.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
This is what we do....bed of truck and some bungee cords as needed.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you thought of something like this? Ladder mounted bike rack

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What’s wrong with putting it in the bed of the truck? May have to remove the wheels but ... Otherwise put it inside the trailer.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT