cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Water Tank

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
I have just finished reading several posts concerning various issues with black water tanks. I managed to find a lot of posts with questions, but not the answers, although I did read some. Some folks suggested using septic cleaner. We have used the Dawn/ice method, and this works fairly well, however from time to time we have had an issue opening the black valve. The most puzzling thing is, we are very careful about not putting paper in the tank, nor do we use the tank for solid waste disposal, preferring to use CG facilities. We have a DRV fifth wheel and would like to hear your thoughts on cleaning and maintaining both the sensors and the tank itself. Thanks in advance for your help.
26 REPLIES 26

77charger
Explorer
Explorer
Never got the dont use the crapper to drop logs in it people??

I have a camper and a toyhauler that i bought for this reason i like to use my own not a public restroom to drop logs.I fill it up then i dump it after a trip no biggie.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
RJsfishin wrote:
To those ignorant people that think they don't need any chemicals,......
in our long stay campground in AZ, we would sometimes get in the downwind current of the dump station there, and most times it was not a problem. till every now and then, one would pull up, (usually an old one) and you talk stink !!!!
IMO, if you don't use "blue", stay outta my campground !!

Actually, I think anyone who lives downwind current of a dump station is the ignorant one. That's just plain stupid. :S

Dump stations are notoriously filthy, smelly, and just a totally bacteria infested place. Living close to one doesn't speak highly of the person who does.
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
You don't use them for breakdown, I don't either, you don't need it.
But you sure do need it for smell !!!!! not necessarily for your self, but for those that happen to be in the line of fire down wind from you, weather it be from your vent, or when you are dumping.

I don't know if it's because I'm anal about rinsing my tanks, but I don't have this issue. I'm not completely chemical-free.. I use the GEO method when travelling, use only water when camping and use an enzyme product for between trips.

The bathroom is used every weekend while on my property, as my kids and I camp out in it. My bathroom always has a fresh laundry room smell to it (due to the GEO stuff), and I never have a smell outside. I don't even have smells when the flap is open, or if there's no water above the seal (mine is shot), or when the fan is on. Doesn't matter how hot it is.

The only time I had an external smell issue was one summer, there wasn't much water in the tank, and it dried up. The smell was so bad.. Put water and enzyme in it and it cleared up after awhile. To me, this indicates that the issue is because of improper cleaning, dried matter in the tanks, on the walls, and the care I take to rinse it is what is causing my success.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
You don't use them for breakdown, I don't either, you don't need it.
But you sure do need it for smell !!!!! not necessarily for your self, but for those that happen to be in the line of fire down wind from you, weather it be from your vent, or when you are dumping. I have posted this before, nothing new,.....but in our long stay campground in AZ, we would sometimes get in the downwind current of the dump station there, and most times it was not a problem. till every now and then, one would pull up, (usually an old one) and you talk stink !!!! It was not hard to pick out exactly which ones did not use any blue stuff. And several times when one of those stinking rigs would be dumping, I would walk over ther eand ask them if they used "blue", and every time they proudly replied "no, we don't need it" But let me tell you, before they left, they dam sure knew that I thought they did !!
IMO, if you don't use "blue", stay outta my campground !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We spend the winter in Florida. Our park has it's own wast water system and we are not allowed to use any chemicals in are tanks, and we have never had a problem because of no chemicals. Also we just use regular TT with out a problem.

Dusty

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks thunderbolt, really appreciate the input.

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
keeping the dump valves & toilet seal covered with water will keep the seals from drying out. I keep mine covered with water @ all times.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much, great advice tenbear and Bobbo. You guys have been most helpful.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Texas Roadrunner wrote:
The Geo Method sounds great, we will try it. One more question, when your RV is in storage, do you keep water in the black tank? I have read some responses when I did the original search and one gentleman insisted that water be kept in the tank at all times.

Thanks again,
Susan

My black tank has 2 toilet's full of water or more in it anytime it is not winterized. When winterized, it has about 1/4 gallon of pink antifreeze.

I never leave the black tank totally dry.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Five month 15,000 mile trip from South Texas to Alaska and back and DW only had to use one roadside facility, we were in the tow vehicle 160 miles from the 5er. Guess what she likes about RVing?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Roadrunner wrote:
The Geo Method sounds great, we will try it. One more question, when your RV is in storage, do you keep water in the black tank? I have read some responses when I did the original search and one gentleman insisted that water be kept in the tank at all times.

Thanks again,
Susan

When the RV is in storage between trips I keep the 3 gallons of water in the tank, ready for the next trip. When it's in winter storage I drain the tank, flush it as well as I can, and put a little antifreeze in the tank. Of course, it probably gets a lot colder here than in Texas.

Oh yeah, I have a Tornado to help flush out the tank.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks again,
Susan

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate the constructive and helpful tips, will indeed incorporate some of them. The Geo Method sounds interesting. We do use RV paper, either Scot or Thetford. Again, thanks for the thoughtful and constructive help.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
What a person does behind a closed bathroom door is his business.
It's his toilet, he can use it however he wants .
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro