cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinette table top peeling, suggestion repair or replacement?

helperzack
Explorer
Explorer
The thin layer of plastic finish, or what ever it is called, which covers the top of my dinette table has started cracking and peeling. Should I peel it all off and if so, what suggestion to try? Or should I just purchase something, counter top or something similar to replace it?

I thought about removing the plastic, sanding and painting it but the wife says she wants it "fixed right". So, there you have it.
Coachmen Mirada 310DS named "The Corporate Headquarters."
When camping I just tell clients that I am working at "Corporate Headquarters"
14 REPLIES 14

westend
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Immediately upon purchasing the Fleetwood fourteen years ago, I removed the small Formica table top and made one out of knotty pine boards, and a little larger. It was still in perfect shape when I sold it.

When I bought the Lance, eight years ago, I did the same thing. Still in perfect shape. Get rid of the Formica and have someone glue up a couple pine boards and cut it to the shape you want ... stain and finish. Will last as long as you own the RV. Any cabinet maker or carpenter can glue it up, and screw the anchor bracket on, probably for less than $100, and it will be the last one you need.
Most of the big-box stores sell glue-up panels that may fit the OP's needs. I used one and edge banded it with some tropical hardwood. In fact, all my countertops and the table are fashioned with these panels.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Immediately upon purchasing the Fleetwood fourteen years ago, I removed the small Formica table top and made one out of knotty pine boards, and a little larger. It was still in perfect shape when I sold it.

When I bought the Lance, eight years ago, I did the same thing. Still in perfect shape. Get rid of the Formica and have someone glue up a couple pine boards and cut it to the shape you want ... stain and finish. Will last as long as you own the RV. Any cabinet maker or carpenter can glue it up, and screw the anchor bracket on, probably for less than $100, and it will be the last one you need.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like your issue is solved, but for those that may still have this issue:

It is almost impossible to chip laminate/formica from a particle board top. However, the glue easily releases with the application of heat. You can usually use an iron or heat gun to release the glue and remove the old top in one sheet. Start in a corner, and keep raising the sheet as you heat and pull upward. You can find replacement Formica (or other brands) at HD or Lowes. However, I'm not sure if they will sell you a piece small enough for the table top. Most of the tops I've seen use a wood trim on the edges. You will need to carefully remove this before gluing down the top. Using contact cement glue down the top. You will need a trimmer bit for your router (you do have a router, don't you?) to trim the sheet to the edge of the top. Reapply the edge trim.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Get a nice table cloth and cover it. Then the DW can pretend she is eating at a fancy dinning out place that has table cloths on the table vs. a fast food place.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Eastwacamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both. Actually, I was having some work done on my rv and told the man at the rv place that the table top falls through when it's set up for a bed in the dinette area. They put a spare table top in which is 4" beyond the bench seats in the dinette. Also the color doesn't go with what is in the Phoenix Cruiser. So I kept the old wooden one that is warped, I can use that piece of wood for something in the future, maybe. The new one fits sideways but is just long. Maybe I should be happy with what they put in. I'll think that part over. But it would be nice to know where one would replace a table top. The one they used is new and was an order for someone else who didn't want it. Nothing wrong with it. Not a bid deal but I appreciate you input.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I imagine your best bet is to find someone locally to make one if you don't feel confident to do it yourself. Most any handyman/carpenter should be able to build one without too much work. It's basically just a piece of plywood or similar sheet goods with edge reinforcements, banding or other edge treatment, and some top surface (typically laminate, though there are lots of things one could do for that). None of that is particularly esoteric or tricky for someone experienced in such things.

Of course, if you want beautiful fit and finish and fine woodworking, it's entirely possible to pay someone a lot of money to do that...but not really necessary.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Picture would help a lot to figure out what you are talking about.
Stripping old finish from WOOD furniture to make new coat is huge job.
I just got such job on high-end coffee table.
My labor alone will be $500 and $500 those days can buy you lot of furniture.
So unless you have free labor, or very valuable table, replacing it usually is the most economical way.

Eastwacamper
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to click on subscribe

Eastwacamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have been searching online for a replacement for my table top. The one in there was a replacement put in by the previous owner. It's warped and I want a new one. I'm not a carpenter and want to replace it but can't fine much online looking for rv table top replacement and such. Any suggestions would be welcome.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I think you can forget sanding and painting. It is most likely particle board underneath.

It's easy to repair or replace. Your choice.

The contact cements we are forced to work with these days are really poor.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Online study how to do formica. The gluing is one thing but making the table look better than something yanked out of Snuffy Smith's kitchen, another. I went with Corian for just that reason but it is gawdawful heavy.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's laminate/Formica that's cracked and peeling I'd peel it up and replace it. You can get sheets from Home Depot and it's just attached with contact cement. That's just me assuming what your dinette tables made of.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
helperzack wrote:
I thought about removing the plastic, sanding and painting it but the wife says she wants it "fixed right". So, there you have it.

IMHO, this is fixing it right. Except, instead of paint, stain and varnish. Laminating plastic is the cheap way out.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine