cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed in 303

bsimonds
Explorer
Explorer
For many years I’ve used Protect-All® to clean, polish, wax, and UV protect all the exterior surfaces of my vehicles including motorhomes, travel trailers, tow vehicles, toads, etc., but the experts on this forum tell us that we shouldn’t use products containing petroleum based ingredients on our tires . . . they will cause them to blow out or something. Although I’ve never had any tire problems attributable to Protect-All or the Armor All® I used for decades before, I decided to play it safe and get 303 Aerospace Protectant® when I ran out of Protect-All. The first vehicle I used it on was an enclosed trailer. The first thing I noticed was that it didn’t seem to be cleaning and polishing like the Protect-All. Then I could tell from the drag on the final towel that it had not waxed the surface. I looked more closely at the label and literature and sure enough the manufacturer does not claim that it cleans, polishes, or waxes; it is just a UV protectant. Since I’m now the proud owner of a gallon of the stuff, I’ll use it on my tires so they won’t blow out but I’ll go back to Protect-All for the other surfaces.

Fire suit on, popcorn and beer in hand, 303 fans flame away!
Bill Simonds
'99 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom
330HP "Yellow" motor
'94 K5 Blazer 4X4 toad
14 REPLIES 14

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:
bsimonds wrote:
For many years I’ve used Protect-All® to clean, polish, wax, and UV protect all the exterior surfaces of my vehicles including motorhomes, travel trailers, tow vehicles, toads, etc., but the experts on this forum tell us that we shouldn’t use products containing petroleum based ingredients on our tires . . . they will cause them to blow out or something. Although I’ve never had any tire problems attributable to Protect-All or the Armor All® I used for decades before, I decided to play it safe and get 303 Aerospace Protectant® when I ran out of Protect-All. The first vehicle I used it on was an enclosed trailer. The first thing I noticed was that it didn’t seem to be cleaning and polishing like the Protect-All. Then I could tell from the drag on the final towel that it had not waxed the surface. I looked more closely at the label and literature and sure enough the manufacturer does not claim that it cleans, polishes, or waxes; it is just a UV protectant. Since I’m now the proud owner of a gallon of the stuff, I’ll use it on my tires so they won’t blow out but I’ll go back to Protect-All for the other surfaces.

You evidently got the wrong information somewhere. Mis-read or lack of comprehension.
Aerospace 303 Protectant a UV protectant only, SPF 40
Not a cleaner.
Not a wax.
Not a blowout preventer.

I see no need to flame, you did an exelent job yourself.:B

Not a cleaner.
Not a wax.
Not a chopper in a hopper - that's Slege-A-Matic!!

"bsimonds" - - *DON'T* drink 303!

Not a blowout preventer - *YOU* may flame-out, ROTFL.

~

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
bsimonds wrote:

You evidently got the wrong information somewhere. Mis-read or lack of comprehension.
Aerospace 303 Protectant a UV protectant only, SPF 40
Not a cleaner.
Not a wax.
Not a blowout preventer.

I see no need to flame, you did an exelent job yourself.:B
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
bsimonds wrote:

No flames here, but I do enjoy these threads about folks that complain when the only real complaint is that they didn't do a little homework and understand what they were buying and what it does. The real title of this thread should have been "disappointed in my lack of research" i.e. the product was O.K., it was me that failed to understand what the product was supposed to do.

I'm a great fan of 303, but only for areas not subject to the outdoor elements with the one exception being the tires and those need attention about once a week for good 303 protection,

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Dadgummitanyhow !!

I'm in the wrong business again !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water-based paint is different. When water-based paint dries up, you can't wash it off with water. When 303 dries up, it begins slowly washing off with every drop of water. It will take time and plenty of water to eventually remove it, but by the spring it will be gone, unless you live in some very dry area.

Same as Gdetrailer, I don't apply any protectants to RV exterior. 303 I use on my skin-on-frame kayak - on the deck of course, not on the bottom. I see oily residues on water every time the wave splashes on, and by how the water beads up on the fabric I can tell that there is no more repellent by the end of summer.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Im No expert, But when I cant wash the MH(as in an RV Park), the 303 protectant has always put a nice luster on my paint job whether its suppose to or not. So, yes, you can send it to me also...lol :B
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
Water based painted houses are bare wood with paint on the ground after a rain? LOL!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
bsimonds wrote:

Do yourself a favor.. Quit applying ANYTHING to the exterior.

Folks are completely obsessed with waxing, 303ing, buffing... I do none of that, just simply WASH it regularly. So far both of the trailers I have had look good, yes, not quit as "shiny" as new but not all that much especially considering the trailers are over 20+ yrs old.

I just laugh at folks using a WATER BASED "protectant" (303), a few rains and all of that product is now on the ground. Seems to me the manufacturer of that product has a built in obsolescence which guarantees they WILL have repeat customers...

Even my vehicles, I DON'T wax them, they just get washed a few times a year and they SHINE like they came off the show room floor. Modern day paints DO NOT NEED WAXING nor do they need UV protectants.

Do what you like, but I find much more time to relax this way :B

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great stuff for protecting the seals on your slides.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
Remove wax first

"Thank you for contacting Gold Eagle Co. 303® Aerospace Protectant may not be fully compatible with already-treated surfaces with most polishes. The reason for this is because 303AP is a water based product, and these polishes repel water. 303AP would simply not bond properly. I suggest to wait until the polish wears off, or strip it off with a non-abrasive rubbing compound. If you require further assistance please feel free to contact me."

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
You can always send me the unused gallon that you have. I'll use it.
Thanks in advance.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
303 is just a UV protectant. It doesn't clean anything, though from advertising it might seem that it does, if you don't read carefully. It is TAD protecting from soiling due to slippery rubber-ish coat that it creates, but it doesn't clean. Good news is that it's washing off after a rainy season.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
BuckBarker wrote:
You used it, then read the label, and now you are disappointed? Did I get that right?

Isn't that the way its suppose to work???
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
You used it, then read the label, and now you are disappointed? Did I get that right?