cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dump Valve Lubricant

bluka43
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently replaced the slide valve seals on the black water tank. check for leaks and none seen. The valve seems to be a little harder to operate when no liquid is in the tank. I don't believe the bolts are too tight, because it worked fairly freely when I first put it back together. I'm thinking that I need to use a valve seal lubricant at this point. Any suggestions as to what to purchase to use?
Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
......wrong post

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
Drill, tap, Zerk, grease. Do it the easy way!

That is exactly what I was talking about. One think not discussed was this replacement was not the easiest project . I have heard on here where other members black tank valve got so hard to open that the handle and shaft pulled right out of the threaded plastic valve with a full black tank. This was not a pleasant experience to change the valve at that point. The grease(regular Walmart grease) prevents this and is a lot cheaper than any tank chemicals or olive oil.

The first time I saw this I thought Einstein was an RV'er? Simple, cheap, almost bullet proof.

Anyone that has ever ripped a handle out of a valve will understand!

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
baby oil and water after cleaning the tank.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
jjrbus wrote:

That is exactly what I was talking about. One think not discussed was this replacement was not the easiest project . I have heard on here where other members black tank valve got so hard to open that the handle and shaft pulled right out of the threaded plastic valve with a full black tank. This was not a pleasant experience to change the valve at that point. The grease(regular Walmart grease) prevents this and is a lot cheaper than any tank chemicals or olive oil.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a new Valterra Bladex 3" waste valve. The back of the package says that the seals are chemically resistant Santoprene. I was hoping to use Vaseline petroleum jelly to hold the new seals in place when I replace the valve.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilanddij wrote:
Gjac wrote:
The easiest way to lube the dumpvalves is to install a grease fitting on the top. When ever the handle gets hard to pull usually every other year I pump some grease in and it pulls out and in with ease. For some reason the black tank always gets harder to pull than the grey.
Can you post us a pic of the zerk install on the valve?
. I would if I could but I am in Florida and my MH is in Ct. Just drill a hole about 1/2 to 1 in from top of dump valve on center and screw zerk in.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry barnhart wrote:
When our black water valve becomes hard to pull and push I drain the tank and pour a gallon of vegetable oil down the toilet and wait for as long as I can and then pull and push as fast as possible as the oil drains though the valve. Has worked for every time.

chevman

This is actually the best way to deal with this issue and the way that is recommended to keep all rubber seals from toilets to water supple on Sailboats.

Although a gallon is a bit much I think. A little bit that will sit at the valve for a while is enogh if done periodically. Like a cup.

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
The easiest way to lube the dumpvalves is to install a grease fitting on the top. When ever the handle gets hard to pull usually every other year I pump some grease in and it pulls out and in with ease. For some reason the black tank always gets harder to pull than the grey.
Can you post us a pic of the zerk install on the valve?
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Where have ya all been,....the seals are neoprene, nothing will hurt them....well, nothing that I know of, and for sure not any petro product.
They are exactly the same materials that are used in hydraulic cylinders that run in oil all day every day.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
ernie1 wrote:
Can't say exactly what material the dump valve seals are but absolutely do not use any petroleum based lubricant on them. They WILL swell and cause all sorts of problems. Use a silicone based lubricant and not a petroleum based one!

I installed grease zerks in my dump valves over 10 years ago, and my seals haven't swelled yet. Again, petroleum will not hurt the dump valve seals. They are not rubber. Most likely, they are buna-N.

Richard

Bob is the oil guy did a test using Buna n seals and various petroleum products. All were the same size before test.

This was the result of his test.

Alright! Good deal! You proved that the seals are not buna-N

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
ernie1 wrote:
Can't say exactly what material the dump valve seals are but absolutely do not use any petroleum based lubricant on them. They WILL swell and cause all sorts of problems. Use a silicone based lubricant and not a petroleum based one!

I installed grease zerks in my dump valves over 10 years ago, and my seals haven't swelled yet. Again, petroleum will not hurt the dump valve seals. They are not rubber. Most likely, they are buna-N.

Richard

Bob is the oil guy did a test using Buna n seals and various petroleum products. All were the same size before test.

This was the result of his test.
RVing since 1995.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
woodsmitch wrote:
So just where are putting these grease zerks?
Right on top of the valve. The Zerk fittings thread easily into the plastic. Just drill an under size hole and use a wrench to thread into plastic. When you pump the grease in you can see the handle move in so you know it is getting lubricated also as well as the seals.

woodsmitch
Explorer
Explorer
So just where are putting these grease zerks?