cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Factory Brake Controller or Something else?

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
Gonna order an F150 soon. Just wondering if the factory brake controllers are as good or better then a P3 or equivelant. The factory BC adds $300 so the cost isn't the issue. Just want the best brake control.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB
9 REPLIES 9

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
I have had the Ford IBC for 3 years and find it absolutely flawless. It does work a little differently than a aftermarket controller in that there is no 'grab'. It is just smooth and in directly proportion to the brake peddle pressure. I set it a 9 and forget it and let the ABS and IBC do the rest. Also a setting for anti-way that incorporates the IBC and ABS. Highly recommend it. Does it not come with the towing package automatically along with the mirrors etc. Just ordered a 2014 F-250 and all that stuff comes with it.

How does that work out right? My truck has ABS, which means you just put your foot on the brake and leave it there so the ABS does the work.

But the trailer has no ABS (no disc brakes either) which means you are supposed to pump them and not leave them on or else they will overheat.

This means when towing I have to pump the truck brakes even though it has ABS, so I don't ruin the trailer brakes. (This has nothing to do with the brake controller as such for how smooth it is, etc)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
If you are handy, you can get the factory controller on eBay for about half price.
The IBC is way better than the aftermarket stuff that just guesses what you are doing with the brake pedal.

While you "might" be able to buy the OEM IBC on Ebay for a cheaper price.. One HAS to wonder as to WHY it is on Ebay and for LESS than the OEM price????

Not to mention if the Ebay IBC dies on you or fails to function just WHO are you going to get to fix or replace it???

Additionally there is a really good chance that even if you do buy and install it you WILL end up going to the dealer and giving them a $100 to enable the Body control module on the truck to recognize the IBC.

In the end you will save at the best $50 and have no warranty on the IBC what so ever..

If you want the IBC, you are money ahead to spend the $300 UPFRONT when you order your vehicle instead of messing around with questionable parts which may be used, stolen or just plain dead...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you are handy, you can get the factory controller on eBay for about half price.
The IBC is way better than the aftermarket stuff that just guesses what you are doing with the brake pedal.

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
Mvander wrote:
Thanks everyone. Looks like the IBC is the way to go. I'm leaning toward the 5.0 crew with HDpayload. It comes with non-max tow pkg that dosent include the IBC but sounds like I can't go wrong for the extra $300 or so.

Thanks again!
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Looks like the IBC is the way to go. I'm leaning toward the 5.0 crew with HDpayload. It comes with non-max tow pkg that dosent include the IBC but sounds like I can't go wrong for $300 or so.

Thanks again!
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think the IBC works much better than the after market I had. It actually senses how hard you use the TV brakes, and adjusts accordingly.

It will be standard if you order the MAX tow, plus the larger folding mirrors, that I also think are amazing. Mine is a 250, that is not a DD.

Jerry

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mvander wrote:
Gonna order an F150 soon. Just wondering if the factory brake controllers are as good or better then a P3 or equivelant. The factory BC adds $300 so the cost isn't the issue. Just want the best brake control.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Hands down GET the Ford built in IBC, bar none it will be MUCH better than ANY "inertial" type controller!

Our 2006 F250, IBC was an option, we decided to skip the IBC and put a Jordan Ultima 2020 in (Jordan uses a stainless steel cable from the controller to the brake pedal for a very smooth operation).

Bought a 2013 F250 which IBC is a standard item and not optional, so far the IBC works perfectly smooth just like the Jordan.

Ford HAS ironed out the issues they had when they first introduced the IBC and as far as I can tell pretty much a non issue with the majority of folks using one.

I will say though, for the IBC to work correctly, your trailer brake wiring MUST be in good shape. The IBCs are a bit touchy when it comes to bad connections, most trailer manufacturers use non weather resistance splices. The moisture attacks those connections over time and the result is corroded connections. Rewiring and upgrading the wire size can and will make a huge difference in your trailer brakes..

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered the brake controller with my 09 F150 and I love it. Ford reports that the built it unit works with the anti sway system that the Ford has. IMHO This can not me duplicated with the aftermarket units. Plus it just looks cool.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the Ford IBC for 3 years and find it absolutely flawless. It does work a little differently than a aftermarket controller in that there is no 'grab'. It is just smooth and in directly proportion to the brake peddle pressure. I set it a 9 and forget it and let the ABS and IBC do the rest. Also a setting for anti-way that incorporates the IBC and ABS. Highly recommend it. Does it not come with the towing package automatically along with the mirrors etc. Just ordered a 2014 F-250 and all that stuff comes with it.