cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freedom 458- Replace or consider a different unit

NHRA_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that the charging side of my Freedom 458 unit went out. I have spoken to an authorized repair center and they expect a $300 or so charge.

In thinking about this, I may decide to replace the unit and have the other one fixed for a backup. When I have no 12v, the coach is pretty much dead in the water. Also, I figure if I have a backup, the new one will never break! ๐Ÿ™‚

My question is this-- is there a better alternative to the Freedom 458? I have searched the posts and it seems like this unit is in a lot of units which makes me think that it is the standard.

Thoughts on a different unit?

Thanks for the input.
2013 American Coach Revolution pulling a
2015 Stacker housing an
Alky Injected BBC Front Engine Dragster and two Junior Dragsters
34 REPLIES 34

NHRA_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
So I purchased the MS2812 and the remote. I have read the directions.

Is this a simple swap? The cabling with the exception of the temp sensor seems to be the same.

Any help would be appreciated. DIY or get to my RV tech?
2015 Stacker housing an

NHRA_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Took the plunge. MS2812. Hope it's as user friendly as everyone says it is!
2015 Stacker housing an

docj
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
wilco wrote:
I had the Freedom 458 on my last rig for 12 years without problems. Unless there is some new cosmic technology that might obsolete these things, I might be inclined to repair/replace the current unit and avoid the wiring/monitoring problems that might occur with some other unit.
Shouldn't be any problems. Magnum inverters are VERY high quality, proven units.

With things electronic, it is almost certain that anything 12 years old is functionally obsolete compared with newer units. I wouldn't repair a 12 yr-old inverter any more than I would a 12 yr old TV or computer.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
wilco wrote:
I had the Freedom 458 on my last rig for 12 years without problems. Unless there is some new cosmic technology that might obsolete these things, I might be inclined to repair/replace the current unit and avoid the wiring/monitoring problems that might occur with some other unit.
Shouldn't be any problems. Magnum inverters are VERY high quality, proven units.

wilco
Explorer
Explorer
tfw

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
A 50+ amp converter to charge battery could be added if the inverter itself is working and you need something soon while you decide what to get. Or just leave the converter in place.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you can buy a remote panel for the Magnum that contains AGS capability. If you are not aware, there is also a Cummins/Onan wireless add-on that does the same thing.
Sandie & Joel

NHRA_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
With the Magnum, is there an auto gen start option available?

Thanks
2015 Stacker housing an

docj
Explorer
Explorer
FW wrote:
docj; Did you mean you used the same monitor or just the cable?
If you used a new monitor, what did you do with the old one?
I'm looking for an RC7 or RC7GS?

Only the cable can be reused; the monitors are not interchangeable. I gave all the old parts to the RV mobile service tech who installed the Magnum. I can provide his contact info but I don't know if he kept the stuff or not.
Sandie & Joel

FW
Explorer
Explorer
docj; Did you mean you used the same monitor or just the cable?
If you used a new monitor, what did you do with the old one?
I'm looking for an RC7 or RC7GS?
Frank
Full time since 1/3/03
2005 BTCruiser 28.5' Always
2002 Chevy Tracker 4x4 Sometimes

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Magnum MS2800, is what I installed, came from an RG2010 Xantrex
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:

The replacement of the Xantrex by the Magnum was easy; the form factor for both is about the same and the connections are in roughly the same locations so existing cable lengths worked. The Magnum's remote panel uses the same telephone wire and RJ connectors so I could use the one that was already in place.

X2 -- but I replaced my Freedom with a Magnum MS2000. The fact that you can use the same remote control panel wiring was icing on the cake as I had no desire to run wire.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

MrWizard
moved from technology corner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Winegard wrote:
During the sleep period it completely stops charging the battery as a way of reducing water loss.

That appears to be what our new inverter does as well. While I don't see any documentation as to time, it does go into a state where it shows 0.0 amps of charging. Then, from time to time it kicks in at some random rate but never the full 150 amp which appears to be a step higher than float. We have AGM batteries so water is not an issue but I think this charging pattern will provide a better overall experience than our old 458. I do know that the new 150 amp charger and the way the charging cycles are handled, substantially reduces the recharging time when we are dry camping.

It's pretty clear that electronics have made significant strides in the past decade. Another thing I noticed about my new unit is that if you have the charger off for any reason it starts back up with a minute or two of rapidly ramping the charge rate up and down from zero to 150A. I think what it's doing is determining how the batteries react so it can then select an appropriate charge rate, rather than always starting from bulk charge and going forwards from there like the old Freedom 458 used to do. As you said, Bill, these little things should improve overall battery performance and lifetime.
Sandie & Joel

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
During the sleep period it completely stops charging the battery as a way of reducing water loss.

That appears to be what our new inverter does as well. While I don't see any documentation as to time, it does go into a state where it shows 0.0 amps of charging. Then, from time to time it kicks in at some random rate but never the full 150 amp which appears to be a step higher than float. We have AGM batteries so water is not an issue but I think this charging pattern will provide a better overall experience than our old 458. I do know that the new 150 amp charger and the way the charging cycles are handled, substantially reduces the recharging time when we are dry camping.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?