cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water pump runs for 4 to 7 seconds

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
My fresh water pump runs for 4 to 7 seconds after the water at the sink is cut off. Is this normal? . . . :h
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
6 REPLIES 6

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the pump stops it stays off all is normal and good.
If it comes on with no water use... then you have something to worry about.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's normal to run a little after the faucet is off. You may also still have some air in the lines or water heater. It can sometimes take a while to get it purged out. Each time you run out of water and pick up air it will act this way and need to be purged again. As you use your rig also pay attention for the pump coming on when you have not opened a faucet. This can be an important indicator of a very small water leak. If you hear the water pump randomly kick on for just a second or so, it's because it has lost pressure. It could be internal pump/valve leakage but it's more likely to be a very slow leak around one of the fittings or hose ends.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The next observation is can a faucet be used for a few seconds or the toilet flushed WITHOUT the pump coming on? Is this a new situation or a new camper? Could it be that an accumulator is in the system without your knowing about it?
We purposely installed an accumulator and it works just like you posted.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Yes this is normal. Once the water flow is stopped at the sink, the pressure needs to be restored in the water lines. Although the water is not really compressible, the plastic water lines will expand a little. Dead ended lines with air trapped in them, like unused laundry faucets or outdoor showers, can also act like an accumulator.
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think that's bad. It is just building up the pressure in the lines until a preset point, then it shuts off.

What you need to be concerned about is if the water pump turns on for a few seconds at various times when people are NOT using the water... that means there is a water leak or some sort of pressure leak that should be fixed.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
An accumulator tank will keep the water pump from coming on right away, but when it does and finishes, the accumulator tank needs a refill.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.