cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge - fails to light on consistently.

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Norcold N821L fridge in my trailer. This weekend it showed a "F" fault which is failure of the flame to light. I checked the propane and there is lots, cleaned the burner and chimney and restarted it. It would run for a while lighting and shutting off as required to maintain temp. But it randomly would not light. As soon as I reset it, it would light and run for a random number of cycles and then fault again for no light.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why it would randomly not light?

Any input would be much appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same fridge model and had the exact problem. There was alot of cabon (soot) build up. Took it apart cleaned everything up reassembled it still samething it would work for awhile then stop working plus a weak flame. I pulled the fridge from the cubby and the exhuast tub that vent the exhuast up was COMPLETELY blocked with soot. Cleaned it and problem solved.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Check to make sure the flame sensor is correctly positioned and clean the carbon off it with solvent, emory paper or a brass brush.

Spark electrode does more then just provide a high voltage spark to ignite main flame BUT is also used to 'PROVE' main flame has lit and stays lit

I didn't say anything about providing a spark.
I said to check the Flame Sensor - just like you did!

YES.......but I gave 'details' on how/what cause 'check flame sensor' was too vague
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning the flame sensor and positioning it closer to the flame fixed mine. It used to take forever to get it to a point where it would stay lit. Turn it on, burner lights, fault. Shut off, turn back on, burner lights, fault. Repeat 10 or 15 times until it stayed lit. No more!
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Check to make sure the flame sensor is correctly positioned and clean the carbon off it with solvent, emory paper or a brass brush.

Spark electrode does more then just provide a high voltage spark to ignite main flame BUT is also used to 'PROVE' main flame has lit and stays lit

I didn't say anything about providing a spark.
I said to check the Flame Sensor - just like you did!

Hooterville
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue. Replaced the ignitor and all random ignition problems solved.
Part was under 20.00.

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
There is 12V to the board and to the gas valve. I brushed the burner and electrode with a tooth brush and blew it off with compressed air to clean the carbon off but did not check the position or sand it clean to bare metal.

I will clean the electrode better and check position this weekend when I am back at the RV.

Thanks for the input

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
In addition to the above, verify that there is 12 V to the control board.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:

Spark electrode has to be clean of any soot or carbon build up
Spark electrode has to be 'engulfed' in main flame-----tip hot
Spark electrode needs to have good clean strong ground contact
Spark electrode gap S/B 1/8" - 3/16"

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad