cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFI Problem

notruffinit
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to figure this problem out and don't quite know where to look next. When I plug in to a campground outlet that is GFCI protected, as soon as my surge guard kicks in the GFI protector on the post or otherwise protected outlet will trip. I have no problems in the coach or with any of the protected circuits in it. The voltage leak has to be on the coach side of the surge guard. Where do I start to look?
'11 Ram 3500 Cummins
'12 Cameo 34SB3
38 REPLIES 38

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
notruffinit wrote:
OK. So I shut off all the breakers and it will still trip the GFCI. So I guess the problem must be between my hardwired Surge Guard and the Main Breaker box (which is about 2 feet of wire)? I installed the SurgeGuard myself. I know that the common and the ground are separated. My coach is wired for 50 amp with a 50 amp Surge Guard, but I have only 1 AC unit so I almost never plug into 50 amp. I prefer to use the much smaller 30 amp cord. Anything there that I am missing?

Old-Biscuit wrote:
When you turned all the breakers off did that include the Main Breaker(s) also

Turn ALL breakers OFF and then see if GFCI still trips. If it does...problem is between pedestal and Main Panel

Bad adapter, bad cord, bad connections in cord, bad wiring.......

IF it doesn't trip then turn Main Breaker(s) ON and repeat.
Then one breaker at a time.

These are both wrong. Turning off the breaker, by itself, will not do anything to diagnose the problem. The problem is a short between GROUND and a NEUTRAL, and the breakers do not affect that.

You MUST disconnect all of the NEUTRAL wires from the NEUTRAL buss bar to diagnose this. Only with every NEUTRAL disconnected can you know if it is between the breaker box and the Surge Guard.

I will repeat my instructions for diagnosing this problem:

Bobbo wrote:
Somewhere in your RV there is a NEUTRAL to GROUND short. It could be anywhere.

Disconnect the RV from all power. Remove all NEUTRAL wires from the buss bar in the breaker box. Plug back in. If it trips, the problem is between the Surge Guard and the breaker box.

If it doesn't blow, disconnect, reattach one NEUTRAL wire, reconnect. If it blows, that is the circuit with the problem. If it doesn't blow, repeat process till it blows.

When it blows, trace that NEUTRAL to see where it connects to ground. It could be in a stripped/pinched/punctured wire, an outlet, an appliance, anywhere.

Jim Cindy wrote:
We see the same thing if we plug into any, not just campround, outlet that is GFI protected. I would be interested in an explanation too. I was previously told that it was because the RV does not have a ground to earth that the GFI is looking for.

The problem is not a lack of ground to earth. No RV has a ground to earth. The problem is a short between a NEUTRAL wire and GROUND somewhere.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Have you had this problem on more than one GFI? GFIs do go bad.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you turned all the breakers off did that include the Main Breaker(s) also

Turn ALL breakers OFF and then see if GFCI still trips. If it does...problem is between pedestal and Main Panel

Bad adapter, bad cord, bad connections in cord, bad wiring.......

IF it doesn't trip then turn Main Breaker(s) ON and repeat.
Then one breaker at a time.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

notruffinit
Explorer
Explorer
OK. So I shut off all the breakers and it will still trip the GFCI. So I guess the problem must be between my hardwired Surge Guard and the Main Breaker box (which is about 2 feet of wire)? I installed the SurgeGuard myself. I know that the common and the ground are separated. My coach is wired for 50 amp with a 50 amp Surge Guard, but I have only 1 AC unit so I almost never plug into 50 amp. I prefer to use the much smaller 30 amp cord. Anything there that I am missing?
'11 Ram 3500 Cummins
'12 Cameo 34SB3

Jim_Cindy
Explorer
Explorer
We see the same thing if we plug into any, not just campround, outlet that is GFI protected. I would be interested in an explanation too. I was previously told that it was because the RV does not have a ground to earth that the GFI is looking for. :h
PBH Portable Beach House

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison :C
2009 Cameo 34CK3
MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, G614's
PullRite Super Glide Hitch
Propane fueled Yamaha EF 2400is

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somewhere in your RV there is a NEUTRAL to GROUND short. It could be anywhere.

Disconnect the RV from all power. Remove all NEUTRAL wires from the buss bar in the breaker box. Plug back in. If it trips, the problem is between the Surge Guard and the breaker box.

If it doesn't blow, disconnect, reattach one NEUTRAL wire, reconnect. If it blows, that is the circuit with the problem. If it doesn't blow, repeat process till it blows.

When it blows, trace that NEUTRAL to see where it connects to ground. It could be in a stripped/pinched/punctured wire, an outlet, an appliance, anywhere.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Turn off all your breakers in the RV panel. Plug in the GFCI shore power pedestal. IF it does NOT trip, then your shore Cord/Transfer is OK. Turn on the 50 or 30 amp MAIN breaker in your breaker panel. If it does NOT trip the GFCI, then turn on 1 Breaker at a time until the GFCI trips. Once you have determined which breaker when turned ON trips the shore GFCI. either run your APU and then determine what outlets/appliances are ON that circuit. Then trace and disconnect each appliance or circuit 1 at a time until you find the problem. Doug

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I would get one of these circuit analyzer, plug it into an outlet in the RV and see what it shows when the RV is plugged into a non GFCI protected outlet.

It is often the fault of water in one of the exterior outlets.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
It could be a faulty appliance. I would start by unplugging everything I could. Shut off the hot water heater and refer. Then try it. It could be the heating element in the refer or hot water heater.

The GFI trips because of a faulty grounding situation, not an overload.

If it still trips the power distribution panel may not be wired correctly. The white (neutral) and green (ground) wires should Not be hooked together. I have seen that on other units.

Might get an electrician to help you if you are not experienced.

You may call me if you wish.
I am an electrical troubleshooter.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios