cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help!! A/C broken in Arizona!!

lauravanb
Explorer
Explorer
Last night I woke up hot, and realized the a/c was off. The fan wasn't even blowing. It was totally dead. So I turned it to the off setting. In the morning we turned it back to on and it started again. No problem. We left for a few hours, came back, and turned the set temperature down a bit, and as I pushed the slider down it shut off. We have tried replacing the fuse in the thermostat, checked the breaker box, checked the unit on the roof and the blade spins freely, and actually replaced the thermostat too. Still nothing. No heat, no fan, no a/c. And were in Arizona heading to the grand canyon today!! There are no repair shops open til Monday! Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well.. I do have one other suggestion....

I am in Townsend, GA (I-95, Exit 49 Go north 3 miles)

We have one long term and about 7 short term sites plus a couple of back in sites open just now.

Woke up this AM the outside thermometer said 59... One of my air conditioners very quickly QUIT WORKING. (I turned it off).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
We really can't help much without make/model of the air conditioner itself and the thermostat as well.

Are you able to do some voltage measurements, both of the 120VAC supply to the compressor and fan, plus the 12VDC supply to the thermostat? If your thermostat has batteries are they still good, properly installed?

Let alone, we haven't heard any further from you. Do you still have the problem? If it's been corrected, How?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Take it from a pop-tart

ITZ HOTTER N HELL DOWN HERE. Cannot touch bare metal without gloves. Blast furnace pain on exposed skin. Cannot leave meter in sun or it will warp in 10-min. Stinging sweat in eyes. No picnic Hector.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First thing I'd do is pull the covers and inspect the condenser.. However to this I will add that when last I had to do that (As opposed to when last I did) it tripped the circuit breaker.

Cleaning make a great improvement.. I am not checking more often.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
How is the 12V DC voltage?

TO the t=stat?
From t-stat to A/C control/circuit board?

How is the 120V AC Voltage?
To the A/C Unit?
Have you checked the condition of the start/run capacitors?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would be checking into the El Tovar and take it in Monday.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I would do is check for power at the A/C. Sounds like it's not there.

Next I might think of taking power to the A/C with a heavy duty extension cord just to see if it runs period. That proves a lot.

I would start at the breaker panel, and tighten both the hot wire on the breaker, and the neutral wire on the white connection buss. Do them all if you can, it's a good idea. Obviously, pull the power before doing that.

Heavy wires go to the A/C, then a lighter wire goes to the thermostat and comes back and picks up relays to permit motors to run. If you can troubleshoot electrically, it's just a matter of elimination to see what is wrong.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a multi-meter to test for electrical current? I'd be checking to see if there is power at the fuse, power at the thermostat, and power at the a/c itself. That will help you narrow down what is and isn't getting juice. Good luck.

BTW, a cousin lives on Lake Chemung. Beautiful up there.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
was on a campground a few weeks ago, someone had a cheap window unit attached.

then again two days aint Long.
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you in Az? What type a.c., rig, etc.? If you have ERS I would start with them and see if they have any suggestions. Surely, they has to be a rv dealer somewhere in Az that is open. I wouldn't waste too much time on diy fixes. I'd want mine fixed fast.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is going to require more of a fix than a rusty nail and seven inches of twine. Bad Juju timing. Go to the north rim - cooler there. Best of luck.