cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving black tank filled

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Im pretty religious about dumping my tanks after each outing but this last trip pulled a brain fart and forgot to dump and have put the trailer in storage. Contemplating whether I should pull it out and dump or just wait til next outing? Tank is only about 1/4-1/3 full and no sign of odors yet. Pull it out and dump or leave??
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
25 REPLIES 25

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Rover_Bill wrote:
badercubed wrote:
It will be fine. We "camp" at the Bills games (we TRY to limit the amount of bathroom usage) and I regularly don't get a chance to dump for a few months. Grab two bags of ice when you pull it out of storage and dump them in the toilet when you leave. They will slosh around and break up anything in there and anything that may have stuck to the walls.

Save the ice for your drinks - ice in the black tank does nothing to clean it. Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6acEmqvcw

I would completly disagree. Use to use the ice method on my old trailer to control the turd teepee that would form umderneath the can. When going to dump it came out as pooh soup. Dont believe everything you read/see especially on Boobtube...
Thank you for adding "turd teepee" to my vocab
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:
badercubed wrote:
It will be fine. We "camp" at the Bills games (we TRY to limit the amount of bathroom usage) and I regularly don't get a chance to dump for a few months. Grab two bags of ice when you pull it out of storage and dump them in the toilet when you leave. They will slosh around and break up anything in there and anything that may have stuck to the walls.

Save the ice for your drinks - ice in the black tank does nothing to clean it. Watch this video:

I would completly disagree. Use to use the ice method on my old trailer to control the turd teepee that would form umderneath the can. When going to dump it came out as pooh soup. Dont believe everything you read/see especially on Boobtube...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
For the $3 bucks for two bags of ice, its worth it if it knocks one poop hanger loose.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:

Even "Mr. Wizard" didn't say that it did nothing.

His experiment is interesting but weak for at least two reasons:

In addition to the ice cubes, there should have been a significant amount of water, like 1/5 the capacity of his box.

And if he/you think you can simulate the motion of a tank in the belly of an RV with a tank in the bed of a pickup......you are totally mistaken.

Even given that, I think the ice cubes thing is weak.
A good dose of detergent and hot water probably would do more good.

Dumping it while things are fairly fresh would be even better.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
badercubed wrote:

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Farmhawk wrote:
Left mine to stew for three weeks on a previous trailer, opened the bathroom door after that time and it was full of flies! Thousands of them. Never again, I dump after every use.

Now HOW could those flies get in????
Not because tank was left with waste.

Something was BROKEN!!!

Toilet bowl seal failed
Toilet floor flange failed
Sink 'P' trap went dry (if bathroom sink drained to black tank)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I used to dump at the end of every 2 or 3 night trip. Used chemicals and did backflush when there was no line up. Now I realize we can go around 8 nights between dumping so try to plan that. Saves time, chemicals and the small amount of weight carried around is negligible. I find the tanks are well "churned" after more time and the sensors almost always read correct. Thats been my experience.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Farmhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Left mine to stew for three weeks on a previous trailer, opened the bathroom door after that time and it was full of flies! Thousands of them. Never again, I dump after every use.
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2012 F350 CC/SB 6.7 PSD, Super Glide Hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The Bacteria treatments really work well. A few times I have had to leave my tanks full for quite awhile.. Each time the Bacteria had done such a good job that the water was almost clear. No solids at all, and no smell either.

I no longer use any other type.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I would add water and leave it.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Bleach will kill the beneficial bacteria in a holding tank. Just leave it alone till next time, assuming there is plenty of water in the tank.

Spoken like one who has never had to deal with a floating brown island. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And there really is no need for "beneficial bacteria" in a holding tank. As those "beneficial bacteria" work, they release not-so-beneficial gasses. Better to leave that kind of digestion work for the septic tanks or processing plant.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
B.O. Plenty wrote:
I don't know that there are any seals. It's just a sliding plastic blade that slides in and out of a plastic slot.

B.O.

YES the dump valves have seals......each side of valve in a grove on valve body. Blade gets sealed by them.

BUT......nothing in waste tank is going to hurt them.

OP........
Leave it until next time out---not going to hurt anything
Best to dump when tank level is higher
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31