cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan diesel gen problem

jtad
Explorer
Explorer
So we bought a new to us 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. It has a 7500 Onan with 570 hrs. Picked it up yesterday. Gen started right up and ran perfectly. That was at 4PM. It ran non stop without problem till about 5AM. It just died, cranked on it 7-8 times. It would just spit and sputter, then started right up. Ran non stop till about noon today..Died, same thing spit sputter try to crank then fired up and ran for 15-20 mins died again, same thing, run for a few mins then die.. Finale started back up and ran no problems for 3 more hours. Pulled in the driveway..died..spit sputter..start back up. When you are trying to start it, it acts like its not getting fuel, lost prime or something. Any ideas??
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40DST
14 REPLIES 14

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
jtad wrote:
Well update. I haven't had a chance to look at it till yesterday. Crawled under it to check it out. First thing I find is the fuel line is kinked almost completely closed. I have no idea how it would even run. Some minor work was done to the geni at a dealer, when they put the cover back on they didn't screw the clamp that holds all the wires and fuel lines back onto the cover. So they were all just hanging there, with the geni pushed in it had the line kinked..

Good to hear that. Too bad it was created by the people who are supposed to fix it. It is always best to start with a visual inspection and backtrack to what may have been done last as it can often be related.

jtad
Explorer
Explorer
Well update. I haven't had a chance to look at it till yesterday. Crawled under it to check it out. First thing I find is the fuel line is kinked almost completely closed. I have no idea how it would even run. Some minor work was done to the geni at a dealer, when they put the cover back on they didn't screw the clamp that holds all the wires and fuel lines back onto the cover. So they were all just hanging there, with the geni pushed in it had the line kinked..

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
should be a plate right on the front side of genset for model #......I agree fuel line possibility or fuel filter......good idea to check the air filter too. When we bought our DP used the owner said he had just serviced it. I pulled the air filter out to check it and there was a ton of sand in it.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

jtad
Explorer
Explorer
cummins is a mile from me. Camping world is like 20.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Even Camping World has those filters on the shelf
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

jtad
Explorer
Explorer
I am at work today, but there is a cummins/onan dealer right around the corner. Where would you find the model number of that gen set so I can explain to the wife how to go get the number for me. I will stop and get a couple of filters in the AM.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change the fuel filter and retry.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
At that age it could be very likely that it has a bad fuel line and is sucking air. It could be very erratic with no pattern, that's what suction side issues act like. I would do the fuel lines and filter and see what happens. Even if that's not it, you are not wasting any money as rubber components are a maintenance issue anyway.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I would say you have an air leak somewhere. It could be a loose fitting or hose, a cracked hose, a loose filter, loose bleed screw, etc. It might be hard to find. I'd follow the fuel line from the tank and look for signs of leaking fuel.
I'd replace the fuel filter too, their cheap and it's good maintenance since you probably don't know when it was changed last.

jtad
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel tank is full.. There is no pattern to when it does it. Might be 12 hours might be 12 minutes. When you try to restart it acts just like it has lost prime.

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:
How much fuel is in the tank?

You need at least a fourth of a tank of gas as the generator is designed to only draw fuel until your tank is one fourth full. That way you won't run out of fuel if boon docking.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
If it's not the fuel filter,
We had a hole in our fuel line going to our Onan generator. The generator gives a fault code. The Cummins service center we took ours to diagnosed it in about 5 mins. They had to replace fuel lines. Quick service, reasonable price. There is a Cummins service center in Fort Worth. They might be able to help you diagnose it over the phone.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
How much fuel is in the tank?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Jamboree89
Explorer
Explorer
Probably need to change the fuel filter.
1998 Monaco Dynasty
Scion Xb
Collin and Alfie the dogs