cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

outdoor gas stove

taddyport
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a outdoor gas grill with a quick connect to run off of my tanks. I would like to get a gas stove that will do the same. I know there are lots of them out there but trust the judgment of all you forum guys much more than sales people.

Any good recommendations?

thanks
God Bless Your Travels
Jon and Zaria; Zaria = springer spaniel
2010 Ford F350, Triton V10 with 4.3 axle
2011 Jayco 256 RKS
Equil izer hitch
16 REPLIES 16

taddyport
Explorer
Explorer
jauguston wrote:
To expand on Brians post the propane outside connection is regulated to about 1/2 psi pressure like everything inside a RV. Any propane device that is intended to use the little green one pound tanks will not work on that low pressure. Those devices have a built in regulator. Some with the proper skills have removed the built-in regulator on some stoves to make them work on the low pressure line but care must be taken.

I've looked at some over the weekend and found one from Camp Chef that has an adapter hose to connect directly to a tank. The hose has a max PSI of 0.5 so I am assuming that the stove will run on 0.5 PSI. With that said, I would think that it could run on the current 0.5 PSI that is coming to my quick connect that I run the grill on? does that logic, or lack thereof make sense?

thanks
God Bless Your Travels
2011 Jayco 256 RKS
Equil izer hitch

red31
Explorer
Explorer
That was very clear.

Many popup trailers have in/out stoves that hang on the side and hook to the quick disconnect. Atwood stoves that are mounted in a box with hanging rail.

Scroll way down to see how this guy hooks up both his weber Q and low pressure stove via the quick disconnect.
http://popupbackpacker.com/camping/baby-q/

Low pressure stoves operates on regulated low pressure while a high pressure stove like Coleman operates on regulated high pressure, both connect to container pressure, regulated differently. Confusing container pressure for regulated high pressure is common.

taddyport
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for some unclear messages that I must have put out there. I DO want the stove to run off of the quick connect the same as my grill does.

thanks
God Bless Your Travels
2011 Jayco 256 RKS
Equil izer hitch

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Then OP is stuck with fewer choices. Mostly, Camp Chef.

In fact, when I read the 1st post, I'm not even positive that OP wanted a stove to work "via his disconnect". See for yourself:
"I currently have a outdoor gas grill with a quick connect to run off of my tanks. I would like to get a gas stove that will do the same".

Same "what" - to run off his tanks? Then - yes, $34 stove with $24 adapter hose will do. Or - to run off his tanks via his disconnect? Then - no. Simple, isn't it? Unclear answers to unclear questions ๐Ÿ™‚ ...

Good news is that Walmart have camp stoves that work "via his disconnect", starting from $60 or 70. So this is probably what OP has to begin with - going to Walmart. Variations between models in either group - via "his disconnect" or otherwise - are minor and easy to notice.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
The OP seems to interested in a stove that will work via his quick disconnect, your recommendation does not provide for that. As it has been said!

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
red31 wrote:
via their RV connection hose, the $34 stove mentioned above can not, nor can coleman propane stoves (pressure-regulated at 15 psi (pounds per square inch).

No, not via "RV connection hose". As it's been said, for portable appliances you need a hose with a High pressure adapter. You hook this up to 20lb tank.
This is what Bob has (I think) in his 3-burner Coleman stove.

jauguston
Explorer
Explorer
Bop,

That is the kind of device that will not work on the RV outside propane connection.
2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3-burner Coleman propane stove that needs something bigger than a 1# bottle (it only came with a bulk hose.)I had an old 10# tank that I had re-valved and re-certified that I use on this stove.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

jauguston
Explorer
Explorer
To expand on Brians post the propane outside connection is regulated to about 1/2 psi pressure like everything inside a RV. Any propane device that is intended to use the little green one pound tanks will not work on that low pressure. Those devices have a built in regulator. Some with the proper skills have removed the built-in regulator on some stoves to make them work on the low pressure line but care must be taken.
2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Many a campchef stove can operate via their RV connection hose, the $34 stove mentioned above can not, nor can coleman propane stoves (pressure-regulated at 15 psi (pounds per square inch).

Fliposo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very old Coleman white gas 3 burner stove. I bought it used 37 years ago. Have used an after market LP conversiom for years. Use 1 lb. or 20 lb tanks.
If I could justify replacing it, I would go with the Camp Chef stove. Cabelas currently have the 2 burner on sale for $100, 3 burner for $170.
Retired 2009
Campground Host Shoshone NF '10
Ranger Station Host Roosevelt NF, Red Feather Lakes Summer '11
Interpretive Guide Holswarth Homestead, Rocky Mountain Natl. Park '13,14,15
Snowbirding in Casa Grande since '11
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta '10

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one from Cabalas. It's called a duck blind stove and made by camp chef. I have the 2 burner one but they do make a 3 burner one also. It's light and easy to use outside on our table. It's a low pressure stove meaning you have to use the regulator on the camper to use it.
2012 F-250 superduty
2014 Jayco premier 361reqs

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you need an oven with that? If not, then go to Walmart, buy any portable stove, they start from $34, here. I doubt there is much difference between $30 and $100 models in this category. Some have a drip pan though.
Put it on some folding table or whatever. Hook it up to your propane line with an adapter hose, $20 in same Walmart.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
I see a lot of stove/oven combos out of RV's for under $100 on Craigslist. Perhaps you could use one of those and make a nice housing out of diamond plate or something.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.