cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PEX pipe and fittings

hybrid_dw
Explorer
Explorer
Starcraft Antigua 2005, Water manifold made of PEX and those one-time crimp hose clamps leak. See pics below. the black plastic PEX "T" somehow cracked on a diagonal across the intersection and streams water. I go to Home Depot and match the same size PEX "T" with a PEX brass "T". I decide to use "real" hose clamps, you know the worm type adjustable screw so that I can re-use, relocate adjust, etc. Now all three locations where the PEX is clamped over the pipe onto the fitting leak. I have them cranked down beyond tight. WTH? I imagine I should replace the whole manifold due to age but what works best here? Any help?

51 REPLIES 51

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
RLS7201 wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
1995brave wrote:
My friend picked up the Flare-it fittings from the local RV Parts store, they even gave him about 6 inches of tubing for free. The ones in the link are from PPLMotorhomes.

I would not use those on PEX. PEX is a harder material and I would not trust those.

Flare-it works great on PEX. Flare-it has been my choice for repair for years. No Problem

Richard

X2 used on several mods to several TT and 5er. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN and they will work grteat and are reuseable.
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charlie D. wrote:
1995brave wrote:
My friend picked up the Flare-it fittings from the local RV Parts store, they even gave him about 6 inches of tubing for free. The ones in the link are from PPLMotorhomes.

I would not use those on PEX. PEX is a harder material and I would not trust those.

I had a Winnebago Class C for 10 years. Winnebago used the Flair-It fittings and PEX lines when building the RV. I used the Flair-It fittings when adding an accumulator tank. In 10 years, I had no problems.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Flair-it has worked well for me also. Probably the low cost solution. Warm the pex a bit if the insertion seems difficult. Still the Flair-it is just more plastic and I prefer the brass sharkbites.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
1995brave wrote:

Flare-it works great on PEX. Flare-it has been my choice for repair for years. No Problem

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

hybrid_dw
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I will get to the HD and fix it tomorrow. I have used Sharkbite to repair a copper 3/4" fitting on a hose bib on my house about 4 years ago and its leak free. The worm drive hose clamps are likely too tight as stated to work, the PEX is nearly hard pipe like pvc to my feel.

This PEX though....those Starcraft factory installed black hard plastic PEX fittings are not reliable if they actually crack through like this "T" did. At first I thought there had to be an impact to create that crack but under the bench booth storage has not been used. Previous Owner "never had leaks" but I dont trust that either. Also its on the cold water line so its not a heat issue. Just complaining really, I would trust the brass PEX fittings more than this hard plastic junk.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I use brass fittings and the stainless crimp clamps for pex. Never had one leak. I think I got the crimp tool off ebay for $25-30. The stainless crimp clamps are available at most home centers or plumbing stores.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
According to the OP they never worked at all let alone failed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Get rid of the worm drive clamps, they are going to fail.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shark bite seal with an โ€œOโ€ ring, and the slip on typically seal with an small barb on the tube. The clamps simply keep the pex from simply sliding off. I believe you have over tighted the clamps.
Look at the spring clamps on your radiator hoses, they just apply enough pressure to keep hose from slipping off.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a crimp tool from Jeff for under $20 and it included 50x 3/4 rings and 50x 1/2 rings, stainless steel.

It's not the fancy motorized, ratcheting or hydraulic tool, just a plain ol crimper, but it got the job done for the only pex fittings I'll probably ever touch.

If I were plumbin houses all week long, I'd probably get the electric one ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go back to the Depot and ask for SHARK BITE fittings and the proper tool. Since you may have damaged the pex you may need to also get some brass nipples and stuff so you can cut back the pex.. Or not. Depending on if you damaged it.

When the shark bites
Into Pex Dear
Water leaks
Go away
When the shark bites
Into pex dear
Those drips are
Gone to stay.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve done lots of PEX with the copper rings and never had a problem. Iโ€™ve never reused pipe or used anything but the crimp rings and brass fittings though.

The crimp tool was pricey but it seemed like a good thing to have in my toolbox, along with a cutter for removing rings and a go-nogo gauge for checking my work.
Larry

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Worm gear radiator clamps are no good for PEX. Can't get them tight enough to seal. The worm gear will break or strip first. You need to get the proper PEX bands and a crimping tool.

The other option would be a half inch Flair-it tee with the plastic nuts on it. Flair-it fittings are made to be used with PEX. They use a plastic compression nut that holds the Pex onto the fitting by squeezing it tightly into place. It should work if the inside of the existing tubing has not been marred to badly by the original tee and the tee you tried to clamp in place.