cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Old Faucet ?

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
.......I need to replace an old faucet on the kitchen sink ! Being able to get under the sink so I can see what all is involved in removing the old sink looks to be very difficult since there isn't much room to maneauver . Besides , I'm old and fat so this is going to be even harder .
.......This is an old , single spout\handle that movies from side to side to change from hot to cold . Also , paying someone a $100 an hour is out as well . Anyone with prior experiences changing this item out like to provide advice ? , thanks , jf
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.
12 REPLIES 12

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Drilling an extra hole is easy if needed. Done all the time through granite or cast iron in regular homes.
Typical plastic RV sink would take very little effort.

Yes buy all means get something nice.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
My advice is if you have to go through all the trouble of crawling (dreading it first) under the cabinet to get to the faucet for removal, why replace it with another piece of junk Phoenix faucet? I went through the troubles of trying to repair the phoenix faucet with zero luck. Bought a new one from Phoenix, installed it and guess what? Same problems. Get a quality built faucet and get on with life. Think about how many times your home faucet is used, how old it is and they are many times more trouble free than faucets built for vs.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the nuts that hold the old faucet in place are rusted and cannot be unscrewed. In those cases I split them with a Dremel Multimax then remove them in any way possible.
Are you sure $100 is out of the question? That's two dinners at today's prices.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I'm just old and skinny. Losing 90 pounds was not only healthy but sliding under the sink was easy. I replaced my fauset with one from Lowes. Much better quality than an RV fauset.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
I changed my faucet in my trailer recently. Used an electric drill and screw bit and took apart the shelving under the sink. Was able to get my chunky self under the sink with no problems. Bought a faucet from Lowes and a few adapters because RV plumbing is different then a house. The faucet was a lot nicer and cheaper price then RV style. Put shelving back together and all is good.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our coach had a two-handle, low spout Phoenix-Brand faucet. It started to lead at the valve washers and stem seals but worse at the O-Rig where the spout swiveled. We bought this Phoenix quarter turn high spout faucet on Amazon

Pic doesn't show the attachments, but the point I want to make is that at least in our Jayco, the supply lines attached with plastic "wing nut" couplings, and the faucet itself attached to the bottom of the counter top with plastic "washer/nuts" that again could be worked with fingers. So with reasonable flexibility, dexterity and hand strength, might be able to swap it out without even needing tools.

Be sure as you shop for a faucet that you get one with the same mounting "footprint" or "form factor" that you have now. Many residential faucets are three-hole. They mount at the center and water comes in through the center. The mountings at the ends only hold it in place. Our RV has only the two end holes and they serve as both mountings and water connections.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
..........Boy , some really helpful idea's ! A big part of my problem is that there is a shelf about a foot immediately below the plumbing and then the actual floor further below that . I'll try taking a pic of the mechanicals with my Apple phone . , thanks , jf
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We recently had to replace the faucet in the S&B. DH couldn't fit under the sink in the cabinet, so I had to shimmy in on my back. The faucet was in such a right space between the sink and the cabinet wall that everything had to be done by feel. I finally got my iPad under there and took a picture of what we were working on. The water lines came right off. The main nut to the faucet was a double rigged one, and I finally loosened it up enough for him to cut the faucet off with a hacksaw.

When we replaced the faucet in our old TT, it was so much easier!

I can definitely recommend the picture taking, though. It really helped to be able to look at it instead of just going by feel.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
A basin wrench is a necessity, but it is still a PIA on a lot of sinks where there is minimal room to work. Get some good light under there, and use a mirror to determine where the nuts are. Then you'll pretty much have to work by touch. It can be done, but it's no fun.

The worst part of the single nozzle/spout is that sometimes the big nut that holds the spout tight to the sink is held in place with a couple screws that put tension on the big nut. That can be a real patience tester. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Got a friendly neighbor that is not old and fat?

Seriously.

I have really tough time up under/inside sink cabinets. I don't fold right anymore and even with a basin wrench it is difficult for me to maneuver.

I have a younger neighbor that helps....then I return the favor by helping him
Good neighbors are priceless
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
There shouldn't be any need to remove the sink to change the faucet out. It's conceptually straightforwardโ€”disconnect the water lines from the old one, take off the nuts holding it on sink, and put the new one on. Depending on where the water lines attach and how things are put together, you may need a basin wrench to disconnect or tighten things.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a basin wrench. Makes swapping them a cinch.