cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Battery pricing

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
What are you guys paying for batteries? Looking at $150+ for a 12V RV battery up here (CA).
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS
20 REPLIES 20

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I live 100 km from both Walmart and Costco. I find the Costco saving on tires and batteries easily pays for the membership. The problem is spending $500 on other stuff while waiting for the tires to be installed. Last time they had really nice kayaks on sale for $400. All our vehicles have Costco batteries except one Walmart one on a garden tractor. Very happy with all of them. Take any old battery with you when buying at either place and get the $10 recycling deposit back.

I killed the deep cycle batteries that came with our used motorhome because I was under the impression "deep cycle" meant you could discharge down to nearly dead without harm. And the voltage on the battery is too optimistic about the state of charge for hours after any charging. Double dumb and the batteries only lasted three years.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to shop at a local golf cart distributor in Maine for a Trojan. You'll pay more than at Costco or Sams but won't have the entry fee and will get the reliability of the Trojan. They come in 6V and 12V flavors.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
spud1957 - different people buy different RV batteries. The only thing in common is that they all are "deep cycle". Mine cost $180 each, that's $US, though in AGM domain this is closer to the bottom than to the top, there are users here that bought Lifeline and those cost a bit more.

If you're looking for cheaper, then it will be flooded and (likely) a US Walmart rather than Canadian Tire. Just make sure it says "deep cycle", or, at the very least, "marine". Better stay away from "marine" cheap brands. I know only one good marine brand - Optima - and those are low-capacity and expensive.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
My Wally world Marine batteries did not take to Deep cycle duties very well,lasting 13 and 23 months respectively.

The third one purchased at the same time as the failed 2, was switched to starting only duties and lasted another 5 years.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
lawrosa wrote:
79 bucks for a group 27 @ 90 Ah rating... Sams club NJ... The group 24 are 75 Ah and the same price.

Duracell marine deep cycle.

Marine/Deep cycle are starting batteries first and foremost that is why MARINE comes first

However GC-2 Golf Car batteries are only about 10 bucks more at the same store. Two of them hold 3 times the Group 24 as I recall so you get more battery for only 20 bucks more, they are TRUE DEEP CYCLE which is best for RV house (But not starting your boat) and thus you sent them to the right store.. Just the wrong shelf.

And for those who wonder about six volt batteries and what you do different.

12 volt
-{Battery}+12v
-{Battery}+12v
With group 24 this gives you 150 amp hours... Now

Six volt

-{Bat}T{ery}+12v at 220-230 amp hours.

Each { } is a container

A battery is a collection of containers (Or cells to be specific).

All of them together is a battery

There are no six volt batteries IN an rv (only 12 volt that came in 2 pieces for ease of handling)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
Last year brough Group 31, 12 Volt, AGM, Deep Cycle EXide Batteries from Amazon for about $150 delivered (after $25 rebate).

These weigh about 50 pounds...How Amazon can offer "Free Delivery" just escapes me....
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I remember paying 105 dollars for a group 29 RV battery at Wal-Mart. Califraudnia.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I paid over $100 apiece for 2 6v Trogan 105 batteries in 2004. I replaced them 4 years later with 2 Sam's Club 6 v's in 2008. They are still going strong. Last year I saw 6v GC batteries at Walmart in NH for $79 and no sales tax. Not all Walmart carry them but they said they could order them. If you are going to Maine anyways I would stop in NH and pick up the batteries. I have not heard much talk of these batteries on the forum but if my Sam's Club batteries die I would give the Walmart ones a try for that price.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try a golf car place or a course where they might be using 12v Trojan T-1275s in the cars. (150AH each) Some cars use four of these for 48v or else use six 8v. You can get a great deal on a used 12v at times.

What happens is somebody buys a golf car and trades his "old one" in. Somebody buys that but wants all new batts to start out with, so the perhaps only two year old or whatever batts are available for a really low price.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
spud1957 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Might be worth it to join Costco for one year just to take advantage of the low cost batteries. I promise you'll find a bunch of other stuff you can't live without too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Not a good financial decision for me personally. Add the membership cost, and store locations (closest is 100 miles and none in Maine) to the price of the battery, might as well get it locally for $150+.

Sounds like Walmart USA might be the best option. I will be risking the warranty. Good chance they will not honor the warranty in Canada.

OK, that does make sense.
I was surprised to find a really good price on Trojan batteries at the local marina one time. You might check them too.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I think my last one was $95
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Try Canadian Tire, still over $100 but how much gas (and time) to save some $$.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Might be worth it to join Costco for one year just to take advantage of the low cost batteries. I promise you'll find a bunch of other stuff you can't live without too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Exactly... Just think, you can get your battery AND the 2 pack of 5 gallon jars of pickled artichoke hearts...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Not a good financial decision for me personally. Add the membership cost, and store locations (closest is 100 miles and none in Maine) to the price of the battery, might as well get it locally for $150+.

Sounds like Walmart USA might be the best option. I will be risking the warranty. Good chance they will not honor the warranty in Canada.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS