cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Size of generator ?

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
What size generator would I need to power a 120 volt circular saw that draws 11.2 Amps ?
And what is a good make ?

jack L
Jack & Nanci
11 REPLIES 11

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone.
I was thinking a 2000 watt one would do the trick.

It is not to run any AC unit. Just to run my circular saw to build a garage in an area where I don't have electricity.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
I just verified my Honda 2000i will start and run a 12A Skil circular saw on Eco. The same generator will NOT run the 13.5K BTU AC in the camper, even with Eco off.

Check and see if you have a hard start capacitor.....some AC units don't come with them, but have a spot for them.
My EU2000i will start my 13.5 in eco mode. That's at 90 degrees and 1400 ft.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A 2000 Watt Honda, Yamaha or Champion will power it effortlessly.
BTDT.

jconnally
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should have read and comprehended the post rather than seeing the 11.2 AMPS and commenting. My Honda 2000 will run a 12amp circular saw without any problems and I bet any 2000 watt generator should handle without any issue.

Joe
2008 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax/Allison
2011 Sierra 345RET 38'10"
(2) Honda EU2000

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I just verified my Honda 2000i will start and run a 12A Skil circular saw on Eco. The same generator will NOT run the 13.5K BTU AC in the camper, even with Eco off.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
OP will need probably a 3000 watt generator, to handle the amperage start up load of a circular worm drive saw.

Is the generator just for construction use only? Or for camping, where noise is an issue and a more expensive quiet generator is desired?

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not a generator out there, in the 2000 size, that will be heard when the circular saw is working and when it's not, probably in "eco mode" and will be pretty quiet anyway.
John A. Lichty

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
jconnally wrote:
Based on 11.2 amps it sounds like you want to run an A/C. If that's the case search for Honda EU2000 A/C. You'll see numerous threads discussing start amps required and efficiency loss when it is hot. Some folks can run a 13.5 A/C on a single Honda EU2000 but most folks can't. I can start a 13.5 A/C and run but if it's above 90 degrees (when you really need the A/C) after about 10-15 minutes I can see the voltage start dropping and then it goes into overload. That's why I have 2 paralleled.

The Yamaha 2800 will run an A/C no problem as will the Honda EU3000. Anything less is iffy.....

Joe

Joe, I believe that according to the OP, he wants to power a SAW.

Jim

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good make depends on your frequency of use of the generator. If you are using it for about an hour every 3 months to POWER A CIRCULAR SAW and only during the day then a Harbor Freight would probably work for you.
If you are using it frequently or in the evening I would look at the Honda line of generators.
Honda's tend to be very quiet a fact your neighbors will appreciate
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

jconnally
Explorer
Explorer
Based on 11.2 amps it sounds like you want to run an A/C. If that's the case search for Honda EU2000 A/C. You'll see numerous threads discussing start amps required and efficiency loss when it is hot. Some folks can run a 13.5 A/C on a single Honda EU2000 but most folks can't. I can start a 13.5 A/C and run but if it's above 90 degrees (when you really need the A/C) after about 10-15 minutes I can see the voltage start dropping and then it goes into overload. That's why I have 2 paralleled.

The Yamaha 2800 will run an A/C no problem as will the Honda EU3000. Anything less is iffy.....

Joe
2008 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax/Allison
2011 Sierra 345RET 38'10"
(2) Honda EU2000

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
11.2 amps X 120 volts = 1344 watts

Most electrical motors draw much more than the rated amps at startup so allow for a good buffer. 2000w would probably work.

Hondas and Yamahas are reliable and quiet but expensive. Quiet is not necessary for a circular saw ๐Ÿ™‚
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30