cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar panel

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a 100w panel and want to run a 12v 80w radiator fan, NO BATTERY. The panel is cranking out 23v do I need to put a controller in the middle. All controllers I look at have a battery hookup between the panel and output.
32 REPLIES 32

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like a nice controller, but now you'll need a battery. In fact, many controllers will be damaged if you hook solar input to them without having it hooked to a battery.
I'm not sure why someone said it needed to be an MPPT, we're talking a single 100 W 12V panel here. I'm not saying MPPT can't provide more than PWM, but on a small scale like this it is not something worth paying for.
Some controllers do have a "load" output which would do what you're trying with the fan. But I think would still need a battery.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Least expensive MPPT from Renogy I see is $85. Good for up to three 100 watt panels.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Op here. Ok, ordered a renogy mppt controller. As much $ as the panel. Had asked the question to renogy yesterday afternoon, got an email from them at 2:20 AM! Somebody works late, or another country.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5 0r 10W panel connected to an on/off switch and then to a fan mounted in the ceiling vent of my fiver in reverse to suck the hot air out in summer. Its been working for the last few years without an issue so it can be done. Naturally the fan speed will be variable depending on how much sun is hitting the panel

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Explorer II
Explorer II
red31 wrote:
the fan will not operate at full speed but should at least spin!

20W Solar Panel / 21W Bulb - A Perfect Match? (part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZQEJ33xblE
Very informative video series.

OP - This is worth watching. Part 3 drives it home.

Maybe something like This Buck Converter would help.

The panel may not be able to provide enough in-rush current to start the fan on its own. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.
You may need to connect a capacitor on the converter input with the converter turned off. Let the cap charge up then turn the converter on to kick start the fan.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
I vote for hook it up and try it. You won't harm the panel. If it's an automotive radiator fan they are rugged. You may not get to full speed but see what you do get.

The fan is a big inductive load so placing a diode on the positive output of the panel may not be a bad idea. Plus the diode will lower the voltage a bit.

Come back and let us know how it worked out
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

red31
Explorer
Explorer
both the panel and motor should have the same resistance @ ~ 10v

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
For a greenhouse application, you should not need 24/7 operation.
A small battery (rv/marine group 24) and some sort of timer to turn the fan off and on several times a day could work. You may end up looking at a small 300 watt inverter and a 120 Volt timer to put it together.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
100w panel in ideal test conditions likely to put out just over 5.x amps, but in the vagaries of the real world subtract about 1/3 (say, for an average) and an 18v panel output is likely a bit too high for the fanโ€ฆ

3 tons

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solar panels charge batteries through a controller. Batteries supply power to 12 volt fans, for instance. Or an inverter for 120 volt fans. Donโ€™t try to reinvent theโ€ฆwheel.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
23V is open circuit voltage, ie no load. About 18V with a load no controller or battery, fan may/may not be OK.

But without controller and battery their will be a lot of power variation to the fan and it could be damaged as a result.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes you need a controller .. an MMPT type (Not a PWM) and I'd recommend a battery as well.. NOTE.. 100 watt panel will not give you a full 100 watts most of the time.. closer to 50 Assuming the fan runs when needed not full time with the aid of a battery this should work
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
I had a solar attic fan in a previous house. Pretty large fan and pretty small panel. No battery. Accomplished exactly what you want. Ran when the sun was out, passive when no sun. Even had a thermal switch you could loop in. It was rated for like 1500 CFM. Don't see why the same method would not work with your setup.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will the fan be damaged by a higher voltage? If not then panel direct might power it. Panel will do 5 to 6 amps aimed at high sun mid-day mostly under 5 rest of day

Some controllers work no battery Some say they are for running lighting
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
the fan will not operate at full speed but should at least spin!

20W Solar Panel / 21W Bulb - A Perfect Match? (part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZQEJ33xblE